Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 23-12-06
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LesleyO is on a distinguished road
Re: (Very) slippery steps...

I really like the shot, but it worries me a bit that the background (everything, it seems, from halfway across the river and beyond that) is out of focus. Doesn't seem to me that the light was that dull. Is this the effect you were looking for? Did you focus on the stone steps on purpose? If so, fine, although I'd have preferred sharpness throughout.

If you were trying for further sharpness, using the "focus 1/3 into the subject" method likely would have worked with this landscape. You don't mention whether you were in aperture priority mode. Just seems unfortunate that such a great shot is lessened by the softness in the background....

LesleyO
Old 23-12-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Could be framed and hung anywhere. So much to see and so many colours.
Old 23-12-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyO View Post
I really like the shot, but it worries me a bit that the background (everything, it seems, from halfway across the river and beyond that) is out of focus. Doesn't seem to me that the light was that dull. Is this the effect you were looking for? Did you focus on the stone steps on purpose? If so, fine, although I'd have preferred sharpness throughout.

If you were trying for further sharpness, using the "focus 1/3 into the subject" method likely would have worked with this landscape. You don't mention whether you were in aperture priority mode. Just seems unfortunate that such a great shot is lessened by the softness in the background....

LesleyO
I'm afraid I don't see Tims shot as having the out of focus area you refer to, however if I was to hazard a guess I'd say there has been some selective sharpening on the foreground area which may have given you this impression.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 23-12-06
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Hmmm........Fair enough then
Just look at everyone else's comments, Time - definitely another POTD coming up from you

I think this picture is very inspirational. One thing I have let slip this year is getting out and taking 'real' pictures, rather than just test pictures.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 23-12-06
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyO View Post

LesleyO
Hi Lesley, and thanks for the feedback

Firstly, the areas beyond the river are not technically out of focus, they're simply softer thanks to (or because of...) the depth of field, which was relatively narrow because I focused on the foreground detail - mainly those steps. I was in fact using aperture priority and the recorded aperture is f11, but I know for a fact that had I focused a third into scene (in this case), I've have lost the sheer detail I've captured in the foreground using my method. That said, I wasn't actually trying to achieve consistent sharpness throughout the scene in any case - doing this would've minimised the impact of the foreground and it's detail.

You should be also consider that I was hand-holding the camera (I had to wade across the river to get to this vantage point... ), so a narrower aperture (given that I was using ISO 400 and shutter speed of 1/60th sec) would've been all but impossible in any case. Also, the light was actually failing (it was around 3.40pm and it was dark by 4.30 pm) and the sun had already gone down behind the hills to the right of the scene.

Anyway, I nevertheless appreciate your comments and the fact that for you, the shot is compromised because the distant elements are not as sharp as the foreground. For me that's a good thing, but it's great to know that we all see things differently

Thanks for your honest critique!
Old 23-12-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just look at everyone else's comments, Time - definitely another POTD coming up from you

I think this picture is very inspirational. One thing I have let slip this year is getting out and taking 'real' pictures, rather than just test pictures.

Ian
Picture of the Month, more like

Just kidding...
Old 24-12-06
Forum veteran

Once again, thanks to all those who gave feedback - good, bad or indifferent - on this image. I find the folks here - regardless of their own skills or experience - to be both honest and lucid in terms of their comments, and this is a great help to me. Oh and the odd bit of praise doesn't do me any harm either...

Cheers - have a great Christmas
Old 24-12-06
Another deadbeat wannabe

guymclaren is on a distinguished road

Just note my opinions may not be correct or even very bright, I just knows what I likes and may or may not say so dependant upon the pics
Old 24-12-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Oh and the odd bit of praise doesn't do me any harm either...
No problem. Yer good m8, one of the best.

Just leave the envelope in the usual place.

Pol
Old 25-12-06
Kiwi Trev

ddigit is on a distinguished road

I am late to this forum. Really love the scene. Wish I could have taken it. Probably going to upset some people but have you tried flipping the scene. A judge once told me that (european) people read from left to right.Looks good that way.

Trevor
Old 25-12-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymclaren View Post
Just note my opinions may not be correct or even very bright, I just knows what I likes and may or may not say so dependant upon the pics
A subjective opinion can never be correct or incorrect. It just is what it is. I appreciate anyone's views, and frankly I don't care whether people giving them are photography experts or not. Everyone is an expert when it comes to what they like and dislike...
Old 25-12-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigit View Post
I am late to this forum. Really love the scene. Wish I could have taken it. Probably going to upset some people but have you tried flipping the scene. A judge once told me that (european) people read from left to right.Looks good that way.

Trevor

Well I don't mind either way, but obviously I saw the scene the right way around and therefore had to read it as I saw it. I guess that makes the original right for me.

However here's the flipped version

Old 25-12-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
No problem. Yer good m8, one of the best.

Just leave the envelope in the usual place.

Pol
Flattery really will get you far, Pol

(The usual place being..........where, exactly..?)
Old 27-12-06
Forum veteran

Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigit View Post

Trevor
Hey Kiwi, by flipping the scene one's eyes are led up the stairs & out of the pic!! Maybe text is read left to right by Europeans or Westerners, but paintings & photos are possibly read by leading the eye to subjects or colours (in my opinion, but correct me if I'm wrong!) and positioning eg Rule of3rds or golden ratio. The original, which leads the eye down to water & then throughout the picture is a lot more pleasing & dare I say it, logical choice! A superb shot just as it was shot!
Old 27-12-06
Kiwi Trev

ddigit is on a distinguished road

I see steps leading one upwards and the user (viewer) travelling along the top path and up the valley. Either way that scene works. Maybe its because we live at the bottom of the world .

Cheers