Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 16-01-15
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Talking Free warmth

We've just had the most amazing and hilarious visitor.

I'm drying the washing in the tumble drier and David opened the back door for a few minutes to let the pong of the detergent out. There on the step, right up to the door, was a Goldfinch.

It wasn't in the least shy, far from it, it simply hopped up closer until it was in the open doorway, immediately in front of the tumbler, and it sat there for several minutes getting warmed up.

I couldn't get a picture as I didn't want to frighten it and my camera is in the other room anyway - but it was so funny and so nice just watching it. It was also looking at us, looking from one to the other of us as it sat there enjoying the warm air.

It's horrendous outside, garden half-flooded for the third year running but that made my day. That little bird came the length of the garden from the Niger feeder to our kitchen door just to say 'hi' and get warm and dry before it flew away.

Very sweet and colourful little bird and I was very surprised it wasn't shy or startled when we opened the door.

Pol
The Following User likes this post by Pol:
Kurt (18-01-15)
Old 17-01-15

Liked at 464 Times in 261 Posts
andym is on a distinguished road
Re: Free warmth

It's amazing how much more daring the birds become in winter. A friend who I worked with told me about a Robin at his mothers house that would fly in the open window and come and look for her around the house for food.
Never heard of a Goldfinch doing anything like this though.

Nice tale.

All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,E-M5,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14mm,50-200,50mm F2.0 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500 HSM,m4/3 14-150,Om50mm(F1.,OM28mm(f2.,FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,crap tripod,Manfrotto 680B monopod,various filters/CF cards.

My Flickr
Old 17-01-15
Ancient Geek

Smile Re: Free warmth

Yeah it was quite a sight to see the way it just hopped up to the threshold and sat there in the stream of steamy warm air coming from the tumbler.

We've had a Robin coming into the house in the past too. It used to come in through the kitchen door (same as the Goldfinch) and hop around looking for us. It never flew in the house though, just stayed on or near the doormat waiting for a few mealworms that we'd give it on the step or top of the wheelie bin by the door.

We also get Long-tailed tits and Blue tits looking into the widow. They sit on the sill and look in. The Robin had a nest in a box on the side of the house and there are Blue tits nesting in the eaves.

It's lovely to have them looking in or even hopping in but I never expected a Goldfinch to come so near to the house let alone onto the threshold, especially when there was so much noise and activity going on in the kitchen. I just wish I could've grabbed a picci as I don't imagine that's likely to happen again.

Pol
Old 18-01-15
Pixel scutcher

Liked at 59 Times in 34 Posts
StephenL is on a distinguished road

There are some occasions when it's more profitable to stand and study rather than photograph. Sounds like a magic moment which a camera couldn't hope to capture.

Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.

My Flickr site
Old 19-01-15
Ancient Geek

Talking Re: Free warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
There are some occasions when it's more profitable to stand and study rather than photograph. Sounds like a magic moment which a camera couldn't hope to capture.
That's so true.

It was one of those things you never forget. I'd still have liked a snap. David was crouched down on the floor only about 2ft from the bird. He was chatting away to it and the bird was perched there looking at him like a family pet - great picci.

Pol
Old 09-02-15
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
yorbard is on a distinguished road

I've just bought a used, but virtually mint condition Panasonic Lumix ( one of the older almost flat ones with a Leica lens, for about 90) which being very thin with its lens retracted, sits in any convenient pocket of whatever I'm wearing, so a camera is always available. It's worth keeping an eye open for this sort of bargain , especially if you live in a wildlife-rich area.