Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 06-01-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road
Windows 8 & Spyder2

For anyone that's interested, I can confirm that the monitor profiling device Spyder2 works okay with Windows 8.

At first you might not think that it does. Once you've installed the software, and then plugged in the Spyder 2, Windows 8 gives the appearance of locating the driver and installing it.

It doesn't. It's a con.

If you run the software after Windows has finished "installing" it, the software can't find your Spyder2 - and no amount of selecting it in the drop-down box will change that.

There's no point going to the device manager. The only way I'd discovered that Windows hadn't installed the device was by running the troubleshooter - at which point it tried to find the drivers for the Spyder2 and failed. Until this point, I had no idea that its previous attempt had failed. Microsoft must believe that ignorance is bliss and that you didn't really need to know whether Windows 8 had installed your hardware or not. That's handy - not!

Downloading the latest driver from the ColorVision website and installing that enables your Spyder2 software to detect the Spyder2 hardware and, after that, it works.

Windows 8 may look cool with its fancy boxes telling you it's installing the hardware and locating the drivers, but it's all a nasty con made to make you think Windows 8 is better than it is. It won't tell you when it fails to do something, it'll just hide its failures behind disappearing progress boxes leaving you to wonder why your device doesn't work. You might think that much of your hardware just isn't compatible and needs replacing. Don't be fooled. That's just Windows 8 tricking you.
Old 28-08-13
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
datacolor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Windows 8 & Spyder2

Hell JSR,

This is Raphael from Datacolor Spyder tech support.

Great to see that your Spyder2 works under Windows 8, but please be aware of the folling facts:

Our Spyder2-products are officially NOT supported under Windows 7 or higher.

Furthermore, this 2nd generation sensor has been construced more than 8 years ago and is therefore no longer compatible with latest display technologies,
such as LED-Backlight, Wide-Gammut and screens with a glossy surface.

In any case, a Spyder4 product would solve all your compatibility issues.

If you have further technical issues please contact our support team.
You will reach them by submitting a support ticket in our ticket system under: support.datacolor.com

Best regards,
Raphael
The Following User Says Thank You to datacolor For This Useful Post:
Pol (28-08-13)
Old 28-08-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road
Re: Windows 8 & Spyder2

HI Raphael

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacolor View Post
Our Spyder2-products are officially NOT supported under Windows 7 or higher.
Quote:
If you have further technical issues please contact our support team.
You will reach them by submitting a support ticket in our ticket system under: support.datacolor.com
That sounds a bit contradictory. If it's not supported, there seems little point in contacting support.

Quote:
no longer compatible with latest display technologies,
such as LED-Backlight, Wide-Gammut and screens with a glossy surface.
I would be curious to know what it is about LED backlights, wide gamuts, and glossy surfaces that prevents the Spyder2 from profiling them satisfactorily, and what changes have been made to the Spyder4 to overcome those drawbacks.

My monitor is neither wide gamut nor glossy, but it is apparently LED backlit. It seems to have profiled okay from what I can tell.

The only thing that continues to annoy me is that I have to manually select the correct profile from the ColorVision ProfileChooser every time I bring my computer out of standby, or I log back in after locking the screen. It's probably a Windows issue, but it sure is irritating.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 29-08-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Tom Holle is on a distinguished road

and I would like to know if my spyder3 would work on Windows8, been working on Windows 7.
Old 29-08-13
Forum newbie

datacolor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Windows 8 & Spyder2

Hello guys,

the Spyder2 calibrator was developped around 10 years ago.

Within this time, display technologies changed dramatically.
At the time it was built, LED backlight monitors and other new display technologies simply did not exist.
That's the reason why Spyder2 officially is NOT compatible on newer displays using newer display technologies.

But if it works out fine for you and still does it's job, than you may continue using it.
LED backlight for example produces a whole different light spectrum to the human eye compared to a CCFL backlight display.

And yes, all Spyder3 calibrators are compatible with Windows 8, just make sure to use the latest version of the corresponding Spyder3 software:
http://support.datacolor.com/index.p.../List/Index/91

Have a great day,
Datacolor Team
Old 29-08-13
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

I think it's OK for Datacolor to say that they can't guarantee a Spyder2 will work with LED backlight displays but perhaps a bit too severe to imply it's 100% incompatible

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-09-14
Forum newbie

palliz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
HI Raphael

That sounds a bit contradictory. If it's not supported, there seems little point in contacting support.

I would be curious to know what it is about LED backlights, wide gamuts, and glossy surfaces that prevents the Spyder2 from profiling them satisfactorily, and what changes have been made to the Spyder4 to overcome those drawbacks.

My monitor is neither wide gamut nor glossy, but it is apparently LED backlit. It seems to have profiled okay from what I can tell.

The only thing that continues to annoy me is that I have to manually select the correct profile from the ColorVision ProfileChooser every time I bring my computer out of standby, or I log back in after locking the screen. It's probably a Windows issue, but it sure is irritating.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Hi there Jonathan,
I saw you had a fix for Spyder 2 working in Windows 8
I just got new laptop with Windows 8 & have the spyder 2 but need the updated drivers for it to recognize the hardware.
Have tried to download new drivers but just can't find them.
Really would appreciate your help as the Spyder 2 gave beautiful colour on my old system that matched my printers colours perfectly .
Man I am pretty desperate to get this fix - the new laptop is absolutely "COLD" & useless for editing at this point.
The new Spyder 4 is a ridiculous price don't you think? Surely they could have perfected a workable updated driver for the Syder 2 to work?
Cheers
Paul