Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Digital photography problem solving centre

Digital photography problem solving centre Got a problem that needs solving? Camera, lens, software, computer, accessory, technique, etc. Post it here and we'll do our best to find an answer for you! As long as it is related to photography some how, we're interested!

Old 06-11-11
Smile!

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ekkl is on a distinguished road
Cold Battery....

Hi all. Just been out and about to photograph some fireworks. On more than one occasion my battery(s) stopped working indicating they were out of charge. I put them in my jacket, under my arm for a few mins and they worked for a while after that, had to do this a few times. Obviously the batteries were cold so what can I do to prevent this happening again?

The batteries were for my EOS 1D. No idea how old they are, one is a genuine Canon and the other is unknown.
Old 06-11-11
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road
Re: Cold Battery....

I had something similar happen last week at the Halloween Ball - after being inside the Mill for about half an hour, I went out to shoot the fire dancer. Turned the camera on and........ nothing. No "change battery", absolutely zip - just a dead camera. Like you, I took the battery out, warmed it in in my hands and it eventually started working.

A friend told me he had had several Canons and the same problem. He thought it was due to condensation on the contacts - and I did have a little condensation on the rear screen so perhaps he was right?

Whatever, they continued to work for the rest of the night. The recurring problem I have is when I've had my flash gun on for a protracted period of time and when I come to use the pop-up flash it won't pop. Apparently that's a common problem too - solved by turning the camera off then on, and having a fingernail ready to pop up the flash! It'll usually work after several attempts...
Old 06-11-11

chuffchuffbuff is on a distinguished road

In my handbook which came with my Canon it mentions cold batteries, it states that they will not work if too cold and suggests taking it out to warm it or carrying a spare to swap over.

I too have the same problem with the pop-up flash you need decent finger nails!

Donald.
Old 06-11-11
Canon Shooter

Fast Eddie is on a distinguished road

It's a problem wit all batteries, I've had it a number of times with mini-disc and mp3 players when snowboarding etc.

I've read suggestions that you should keep the batteries out of the camera and next to your body i.e. inside your coat until you want to use it.
Old 06-11-11
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

i tend to only get battery problems when it is really cold (< 0c). i shoot sports all year round and find that the low batt warning comes on sooner in the winter, but i still only take the one battery. very occasionally i'll take a spare (kept in a trouser pocket to keep it warm) on the off-chance that i'll need it. on rallies, then i'll always have multiple batteries. the 'dead' one is put into the trouser pocket, where the body heat will 'revive' it sufficiently to do another hour or so shooting.

as for battery age, i date when mine were bought - i don't buy canon - so i know how old they are. typically they'll get replaced every 2 years. as soon as a battery starts showing signs of trouble, they get binned.
Old 06-11-11

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
David M is on a distinguished road

Having shot film at -40C and digital at -20C I carry spare batteries in inside pockets. Fresh batteries in a left pocket, used batteries that need warming in a right pocket.

Some photographers use hand warmer packs to keep the batteries warm in an outside pocket.
Old 08-11-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 08-11-11
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian
i'd go with this 100%
Old 19-11-11
Expert Photo Fumbler

Steve40 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Ian;61261]I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian[/QUOTE

Also agree.