Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > DPNow photo gallery

DPNow photo gallery Your questions about the DPNow photo gallery facility can be posted here.

Old 01-11-08

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cogito is on a distinguished road
Problem uploading images?

I'm trying to set up a gallery - I've tried a few times to upload images, I get a "you've successfully uploaded image!" message, but no image onto my users gallery.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a known fault? (I use vista 64bit which I know can be a problem for some forums)

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-11-08
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem uploading images?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I'm trying to set up a gallery - I've tried a few times to upload images, I get a "you've successfully uploaded image!" message, but no image onto my users gallery.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a known fault? (I use vista 64bit which I know can be a problem for some forums)

Regards,

Neil
Hi Neil, I've moved this thread to Photo Gallery forum, which is better for all gallery related discussion/problems etc.

So far as I know there are no issues with Vista 64bit.
Lets just go through the procedure.
1. Select Galleries from Menu Bar......... I know, thats obvious
2. From the Gallery menu bar and on its left you will see My Albums, click on this.
3. In the My Albums section there is a link called 'Create a new Album' click on this. You can then give your album a name etc. then click the Create new album button.
4. You will now see your new album in the My Album area and to the right commands for uploading. Click on Upload Photos.
5. You will now see the upload dialogue, and your new Album name is in the appropriate window. Click on Browse and you should be able to select your intended photo from your Hard Drive, wherever you have it stored.
6. There are 6 browse windows to allow you to upload several at one time. After selecting your image, upload it/them. A second confirmation dialogue appears and you can put in names and details for your images
7. After confirming your uploads, the images as thumbnails will appear in your Album, and clicking on any thumbnail will open a larger version.
8. Finally, by clicking on the line of UBB code under your image, you can Copy and Paste this code into the body of a post you are making on the forum, and the photos should appear on the page when your post is submitted.

Sounds a lot but its pretty straightforward really. Hope it helps anyway

Check out my BLOG too

Old 01-11-08
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito View Post

Regards,

Neil
The main reason for this kind of problem is images exceeding the file size limit. We recommend a web resolution image of around 800 pixels along the longest side and a JPEG compression rate that results in a file size of between 200 and 300K max. The limit is 2MB.

If you are uploading un-edited camera images, that's a no-no, sorry.

ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-11-08

Cogito is on a distinguished road

Thanks to you both,

I needed both your advice to get this sorted, but I'm up and running now....

Regards,

Neil
Old 28-12-10

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

That would be why an 11mb file wouldn't load :-)
Old 29-10-13
Forum regular

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
billbirchall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The main reason for this kind of problem is images exceeding the file size limit. We recommend a web resolution image of around 800 pixels along the longest side and a JPEG compression rate that results in a file size of between 200 and 300K max. The limit is 2MB.

If you are uploading un-edited camera images, that's a no-no, sorry.

ian
Ian,

I am having a similar problem. I have read your response, but do not understand it. How do you download a file, which might be 2.1MB and how do you constrain it to the desired specifications? Is this not something that could be built into the system, so that all photos could be downloaded to your required specifications. Also do not understand, "If you are uploading un-edited camera images, that's a no-no, sorry.'

I love DPNow, and want to participate, but Uploading, is an issue to me (and yes, I have watched your video, a number of times) but it assumes that you are uploading a perfectly acceptable photo, which clearly I am not.

Regards

Bill
Old 29-10-13
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
Ian,

I am having a similar problem. I have read your response, but do not understand it. How do you download a file, which might be 2.1MB and how do you constrain it to the desired specifications? Is this not something that could be built into the system, so that all photos could be downloaded to your required specifications. Also do not understand, "If you are uploading un-edited camera images, that's a no-no, sorry.'

I love DPNow, and want to participate, but Uploading, is an issue to me (and yes, I have watched your video, a number of times) but it assumes that you are uploading a perfectly acceptable photo, which clearly I am not.

Regards

Bill
Hi Bill - sorry I didn't realise you were still having problems. I will try my best to help. If you can tell me what software you use for photo editing, that will be useful.

Basically, to fit the majority of screens comfortably at present I would recommend a maximum width of 800-900 pixels for landscape format and 720 pixels high for vertical format images. This is much smaller than a native camera resolution image so you will need to resize using the resize option in your software.

Once resized, when saving the image (remember to use a new name if appropriate so that there is no danger of over-writing your original) choose JPEG and a compression rate of around 70-80%, or in photoshop terms around 8-10. This should create a file ready to upload that is about 200K or thereabouts. If it's more than 250K you can probably increase the compression without any visible loss in image quality.

Hope that helps - please ask any other questions if you have some

Ian
Old 29-10-13

Ian,

OK I have resized an image to 800 x 531 and a file size of 225kb. Uploaded fine. Horrible quality right enough but c'est la vie. What I do notice though is other photos around me that are not constrained by any of these restrictions so not 100% sure that this is the cause.

And just tried another one, 800 x 532 at 282kb and I get the same messages as before.
Old 30-10-13
Admin

These are the two shots you posted yesterday:

I can't really comment on quality because I haven't seen the original in full size. What software do you use for editing phots? It could be that you need to apply some modest sharpening after resizing. Photoshop CS6, for example, does this by default.

This is 1050 pixels high and even in a full HD monitor (1920x1080) I can't see the full height of the image. It's also over-compressed at just 145K.

Ian
Old 31-10-13

Thanks Ian, the first one is mine, presume the second is aimed at Billbirchall. I use CS6 as well. The image I loaded was merely the first one in my library when I opened up :-) but was obviously a heck of better looking at full size. As I said as well, the second one I attempted to upload was also an 800 x 532 and relatively small. I got the same error message.