Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Hard copy > Colour management

Colour management The rock on which consistent and accurate digital imaging workflow stands. If you don't know what colour management means, you need this board.

Old 30-12-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Josh Bear is on a distinguished road
calibration problems

Dear All,

having problems calibrating my monitor. I use a eye one device and I am having problems getting the luminence right. I would be grateful if you could check out the image below and let me know if it looks okay to you. You should be seeing a well exposed, vibrant picture, cause that's what it looks like to me.

Best regards

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4945.jpg  
Old 30-12-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 82 Times in 71 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: calibration problems

Yep, it looks fine to me, Josh. Clear, crisp, bright well exposed and with good/vibrant colours.

Pol
Old 31-12-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 56 Times in 47 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Well exposed vibrant picture - in your face.

That's what is looks like to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 31-12-06
joefoto

Pol,

I took the image to Photoshop and played with levels. When I used the registration background black for my black point and the white numbers for my white point, the picture seemed to "pop". But it was "almost" to a postcard-like oversaturation. I noticed the difference when I turned off the adjustment layer, and the image seemed to be just slightly less saturated (as it probably should with that adjustment). You may want to try that experiment yourself.

I'm using the Huey for color caliabration, and for that purpose it works well. But getting brightness and contrast set on my monitor is still a guessing game. So what I'm seeing may just be the difference in calibration of our displays.

Play some if you want, but I wouldn't be at all concerned with your image as presented. On its own, it is indeed well exposed with good, vibrant color.

Joe
Old 31-12-06
joefoto

Oops, sorry Pol. My message was intended for Josh. Joe
Old 31-12-06
Forum veteran

Thanks all.

Much appreciated. I have received a 22inch widescreen tft from my missus as a New year prezzie and when i ran the calibration the luminence that was detected was far lower than on my old square 19inch one and lower than the target. I can't work out why.

I have also conducted a test print on the epson r1800 and the print was darker than what was on the screen. based on the print i have lowered a menu setting on the monitor called black level. No idea what that means but it did get the monitor to be closer to the print. i.e. when I edit i should get a print close to what I see.

That all said I have allowed for the fact that thr R1800 does give dark prints. Always has and it would appear many other users get this problem.

The final thing that is bugging me a little (cause I am slightly a control freak) is that the top inch of my screen looks slightly darker than the bottom inch!.

Could be a viewing angle issue I set it up last night and wil have a further play today.

Thanks again

Josh
Old 31-12-06
Forum regular

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
John Houghton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bear View Post
I have also conducted a test print on the epson r1800 and the print was darker than what was on the screen. based on the print i have lowered a menu setting on the monitor called black level. No idea what that means but it did get the monitor to be closer to the print.
The whole point of calibrating the monitor is that the display will be a reference standard. The printer also needs to be profiled, or adjusted to match the screen, not the other way round.

John
Old 31-12-06
Forum veteran

Thanks John,

But to be honest I i haven't got a printer calibration device. In either case when i process a picture then print. I am getting the results I want and they match.

Best Regards

Josh
Old 31-12-06
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bear View Post
Dear All,

having problems calibrating my monitor. I use a eye one device and I am having problems getting the luminence right. I would be grateful if you could check out the image below and let me know if it looks okay to you. You should be seeing a well exposed, vibrant picture, cause that's what it looks like to me.

Best regards

Josh
Happy New Year to all!

Josh, Did you use basic or advance setting on the Match software? Use manual setting (if allowed) on your monitor, you should set the luminence level to 120, the program should give you the final adjusted reading at the end of the calibration. The best way to view your printed image (ideally with calibrated printer/paper combination) is with daylight tube with luminence to the same as the screen, I have done this via using a exposure meter first take a reading from white screen then the same with a piece of printing paper (plain), adjust the light source (distance) until both EV matches.
One common mistake most people make is to view the print in either too high or too low light level (luminence), some even adjust the brightness of the screen to match the print, while the viewing condition could fluctuate vastly, hope this helps.

Danny
Old 31-12-06
Expert Photo Fumbler

Steve40 is on a distinguished road

The picture is well exposed on this end, and vibrant. To a point excessively vibrant, if that was your intention.