Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Pentax discussion

Pentax discussion All things Pentax K-compatible plus the new Pentax Q micro system camera format, not forgetting Pentax medium format too.

Old 17-10-12
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Legacy AF

I have really enjoyed using a Pentax K-30 I have had in for a few weeks but one abiding issue with the camera that puts me off is the unrefined focus mechanism operated by a motor in the camera body. It's audibly noisy and although I have had no issues with AF accuracy, the kit lens manual focus control is poor and of course the focus ring moves with the autofocus, which is not ideal at all. I think Pentax should have switched to in-lens AF a long time ago, just like Nikon has done. Yes, there are in-lens AF lenses in the Pentax range, but only in the more expensive lenses.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 17-10-12
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Legacy AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have really enjoyed using a Pentax K-30 I have had in for a few weeks but one abiding issue with the camera that puts me off is the unrefined focus mechanism operated by a motor in the camera body. It's audibly noisy and although I have had no issues with AF accuracy, the kit lens manual focus control is poor and of course the focus ring moves with the autofocus, which is not ideal at all. I think Pentax should have switched to in-lens AF a long time ago, just like Nikon has done. Yes, there are in-lens AF lenses in the Pentax range, but only in the more expensive lenses.

Ian
Whatever happened to Shirley? Wasn't that her name, our much loved, long lost Pentax user and expert.

Anyway, seeing as you've revived Shirley's forum I have to admit I have no intention of upgrading from my K20D but we do have those (expensive) 'silent' lenses you mention.

The lenses are undoubtedly superb, though I can't manage the 60-250 f.4 easily as the barrel is a tad too wide for my small hands. However, I must admit, whenever I use them, I miss that 'whirr-clunk-click' of the motor and sometimes find myself wondering if I've remembered to switch on the camera.

The noise, the feel and the comforting 'click' is all part of the experience. I mean - who would want a camera with a silent shutter button? These things have to make a noise or I'd feel deprived.

As for the live view (on my K20D), I suppose it is 'primitive' but I don't use it anyway. No need for it with that lovely, large and bright optical viewfinder.

Pol
Old 17-10-12
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Legacy AF

Hi Pol, I think you are in a minority preferring clunky and whirry AF

Even almost 20 years ago when I bought my first AF SLR, the Canon EOS-100, it had Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) lenses.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 17-10-12
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Legacy AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Pol, I think you are in a minority preferring clunky and whirry AF

Even almost 20 years ago when I bought my first AF SLR, the Canon EOS-100, it had Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) lenses.

Ian

Yeah well that's your misfortune, innit.

Pol