Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Canon camera discussion

Canon camera discussion This is the place on the DPNow Forum to share your thoughts and experiences regarding Canon gear.

Old 10-03-17
Forum veteran

Liked at 13 Times in 11 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
Going slightly retro...and buying used kit

Had a mad moment a couple of months back and bought a used Canon 5D Mark ii because I'd always wanted to try full frame. I stuck with Canon (my preferred brand since the 70's) because I have several EF lenses that would fit it but these were all fairly long focal lengths save my "nifty fifty" so I had a look for a suitable (i.e. cheap) standard zoom lens.

I initially bought a Canon 28-135mm which is OKish but the zoom-creep drives me round the bend. You can't take a picture of something below horizontal unless you actually want it taken at 135mm

I had another look on-line and found a Canon 28-80mm Mark i (metal mount) for just under 60 so I thought I'd give it a go. Reviews I read on-line seemed to indicate that the Mark i version of this lens was better than the later versions which, allegedly, got progressively worse and used a plastic lens mount. Initial results look reasonable to me..although I might re-process this particular image and tone the blues down a bit...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-c...posted-public/

My wife has invested in a fair bit of used Olympus kit over the last year or so (from LCE) and after purchasing the 5D and lenses used proved to be a positive experience, I've now decided I'll follow in her footsteps as the money saved is significant.

If you buy from the likes of LCE, MPB or Camera Jungle (Jessops) you might pay slightly more than private sales on eBay but the warranties and return policies give peace of mind. All three of my used purchases came from Camera Jungle who I'd not actually heard of before but all three items were delivered next day and the condition was exactly as described. To be fair to them, I knew the 28-135mm was prone to zoom creep before I bought it. (Guess I should state I'm not affiliated with Camera Jungle in any way!)

Regards,

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 10-03-17
Forum veteran

Re: Going slightly retro...and buying used kit

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/ef303.html

Looks like the 28-80mm first came out in 1991! Forgot to mention it also has "proper" USM focussing too.

Old 10-03-17

Liked at 59 Times in 43 Posts
Garry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Had a mad moment a couple of months back and bought a used Canon 5D Mark ii because I'd always wanted to try full frame. I stuck with Canon (my preferred brand since the 70's) because I have several EF lenses that would fit it but these were all fairly long focal lengths save my "nifty fifty" so I had a look for a suitable (i.e. cheap) standard zoom lens.

I initially bought a Canon 28-135mm which is OKish but the zoom-creep drives me round the bend. You can't take a picture of something below horizontal unless you actually want it taken at 135mm

I had another look on-line and found a Canon 28-80mm Mark i (metal mount) for just under 60 so I thought I'd give it a go. Reviews I read on-line seemed to indicate that the Mark i version of this lens was better than the later versions which, allegedly, got progressively worse and used a plastic lens mount. Initial results look reasonable to me..although I might re-process this particular image and tone the blues down a bit...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-c...posted-public/

My wife has invested in a fair bit of used Olympus kit over the last year or so (from LCE) and after purchasing the 5D and lenses used proved to be a positive experience, I've now decided I'll follow in her footsteps as the money saved is significant.

If you buy from the likes of LCE, MPB or Camera Jungle (Jessops) you might pay slightly more than private sales on eBay but the warranties and return policies give peace of mind. All three of my used purchases came from Camera Jungle who I'd not actually heard of before but all three items were delivered next day and the condition was exactly as described. To be fair to them, I knew the 28-135mm was prone to zoom creep before I bought it. (Guess I should state I'm not affiliated with Camera Jungle in any way!)

Regards,

I have purchased second hand lenses in the past and been very fortunate, that none have had any faults.

I would buy second hand again.

Surprised to hear of your experience of zoom-creep with the Canon 28-135mm
This is one of the first ( new) lenses that I bought when I started photography.
I still have this lens and it is used regularly as my walkabout lens. But I have not experienced zoom- creep with it. Maybe I was lucky, or you were unlucky.
Old 11-03-17

Just checked your photo using the 5D and Canon 28-80mm Mark I

I bet your happy with your purchases. The photo looked good, even enlarged.
Old 12-03-17
Forum veteran

Thanks Garry. Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised by the optical quality of the "new" lens and I really like the 5D II. I suspect that I'll invest a bit more in full-frame gear over the next year or so and I'm already looking at some "L" glass like the 24-105mm or 17-40mm.

I admit I miss some of the functionality of my 80D when using the 5D but as I intend to use the 5D primarily for landscape work I'm sure it won't be a major issue.

Old 22-03-17
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Thanks Garry. Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised by the optical quality of the "new" lens and I really like the 5D II. I suspect that I'll invest a bit more in full-frame gear over the next year or so and I'm already looking at some "L" glass like the 24-105mm or 17-40mm.

I admit I miss some of the functionality of my 80D when using the 5D but as I intend to use the 5D primarily for landscape work I'm sure it won't be a major issue.
Bit the bullet and ordered a Canon 24-105mm L (not the mark 2 mind!). Managed to find it brand new from HDEW slightly cheaper than a mint used lens from Camera Jungle!!

It's a White box item so obviously from a kit where someone wanted the body only. I recall LCE sold my wife a Panasonic G7 body that was part of a kit, so I guess it's not unusual.

Anyway, hope the 24-105mm is as good as they say as I doubt 'er indoors will sanction any more spend this year - unless it's on her of course 😊

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Old 22-03-17

That is a super lens Stuart, and from the reviews that I have been reading is ideally suited to the full frame 5D.

Hope you have some fun with it. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 24-03-17
Happy Snapper

Liked at 68 Times in 50 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

I'd second that - love my 24-105: excellent lens, except in very low light. If I'm lugging round the 5d on a day trip, I'll normally take 2 lenses: the 24-105 and a 50mm f1.4.

The 50mm is a story in itself: I shoot a lot of music, and the 1.8 was beginning to pall so decided to treat myself to the 1.4. I bought the first one from CEX. There was also a reasonably new 7d available, as well as some other lenses, but I already had a 7d and the other lenses didn't pique my interest.

Fast forward a month: I had to have a short stay in hospital and kept getting missed calls on my mobile. When I was discharged, I got home to find a letter from the Police saying that my lens was part of what had been stolen from an unlocked car and they would be coming round to take my statement and retrieve the lens. CEX were very quick at refunding the money - whilst I was just under 200 down, they'd lost around 2500. Still don't feel sorry for the plonker who left that much kit in an unlocked car!

They did offer to source me another, but I decided that I'd not risk a second hand lens this time, and as there are no longer any camera shops in town ordered one from Curry's. Shot with that one for around a year before it was stolen - along with my camera day bag including purse, cards, medication etc - from a viewing platform opposite the Alhambra in Granada where it was between my feet. Standard tourist theft - jostled, gone.

The third one is still going strong (touch wood)!

I went to the Photography Show on Tuesday with a shopping list. Whilst I love the 24-105, I needed something a bit better in low light for weddings and gig photography, so I'm now the proud owner of a 24-70 f2.8 (Mk 1). They were offering "double cashback" at the show on the Mk2, but that still meant it would be 1450 new! It's much much heavier than the 24-105 and built like a tank so lugging around the 24-70 and 70-200 at music festivals and weddings is going to require a backpack rather than my crossbody bag!
Old 24-03-17
Forum veteran

Hi Caz

Firstly, thanks for reminding me to update my insurance details!! I've been lucky so far!

I did consider the EF17-40mm as well but in the end went with the 24-105mm because I though that would make a better walkabout lens. If I ever find I'm looking for something wider than 24mm on a regular basis then perhaps the EF 17-40mm will be a consideration.

With my 80D I tend to stick with the EF-S 18-135mm for most subjects and find I use my EF-S10-18mm wide angle very occasionally.

OK on the 24-105's maximum aperture of f/4 but I think I can live with that as I don't do a lot of low-light shooting. I'll use my EF 50mm f/1.8 and / or Sigma 150mm for portrait work of the grandchildren or at family events if I need to go wider than f/4.

Not sure if I'll look at a 70-200mm but who knows... the 5D is taking over from the 80D a bit more than I anticipated!

I'm using a Lowepro slingshot bag which I pack with whatever I need for the day but the 5D with 24-105mm pretty much fills the main compartment on it's own!

I should have gone the Olympus route like my wife, she gets her camera + 4 lenses, flash etc., in an cross-body bag that looks like an over-sized handbag so doesn't scream "expensive camera equipment".

Stuart

PS here's one of my Granddaughter taken on the 5D + "plastic fantastic" @ f/2.8. She's only three and a half and doesn't stay still long, so I was lucky to get this!

The Following User likes this post by StuartR:
Caz (27-03-17)
Old 27-03-17
Happy Snapper

Liked at 68 Times in 50 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

I've just posted in the salon a shot I took on my first outing with the 24-70. I found it weighed just too much in my old Lowepro Slingshot (my first cross body bag) but in my latest bag it was just fine - larger and lighter. When I use it, I'll mostly have full kit with me anyway so it'll be in a rolling case and left with my "assistant" - my long suffering partner!

However, don't think I'll be taking it on holiday with me - standard holiday kit is 24-105, and 50mm for when it gets dark!