Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Filters

Filters Screw-in, square, systems, effects and more.

Old 19-06-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Question HELP - Please

Has anyone bought any of these cheap square filters (ebay) and are they any good?

I would like some "P" or "Z" size ND Grads, just to do a short series of shots for a comparison of Filters vs Photoshop.

If anyone has any they don't want, would be prepared to loan or sell then please get back to me.

Thanks
Old 19-06-09
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: HELP - Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Has anyone bought any of these cheap square filters (ebay) and are they any good?

I would like some "P" or "Z" size ND Grads, just to do a short series of shots for a comparison of Filters vs Photoshop.

If anyone has any they don't want, would be prepared to loan or sell then please get back to me.

Thanks
This raises a question in my head that if these Ebay filters are so cheap, can they really be good quality. Leading on from this it begs the question that if they are not as good as the more expensive makes such as Lee, then what are we doing buying good quality lenses for our cameras then putting cheap glass in front of them

Check out my BLOG too

Old 19-06-09
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This raises a question in my head that if these Ebay filters are so cheap, can they really be good quality. Leading on from this it begs the question that if they are not as good as the more expensive makes such as Lee, then what are we doing buying good quality lenses for our cameras then putting cheap glass in front of them
I think there is a law of diminishing returns - the Cokin ND Grads I have don't appear to degrade image quality and do their job fine.

Graham - I can lend you mine if you like?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 19-06-09
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I think there is a law of diminishing returns - the Cokin ND Grads I have don't appear to degrade image quality and do their job fine.

Ian
This a fair point Ian, though Cokin is a reputable company with a proven record when it comes to filters. I wouldn't be unhappy using them.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 19-06-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
This raises a question in my head that if these Ebay filters are so cheap, can they really be good quality. :
Probably not - But are they "good enough" or just what I'd expect for something so cheap I'm not going to do a full "cost benifit" on these, but if they are only half as good for a tenth of the price, then for what I want to do that's close enough for jazz

Quote:
Leading on from this it begs the question that if they are not as good as the more expensive makes such as Lee, then what are we doing buying good quality lenses for our cameras then putting cheap glass in front of them
It's no different to putting a "lensbaby" on a D3x Anything stuck on the front is there to produce an effect. I remember burning a hole in a stocking, smearing vasaline on a skylight filter, cutting shapes into card, etc., etc..

That's part of the study I'd like to do. If I can get my hands on the very best ND grad and compare that with a cheap one, at the same time as reproducing the effects in photoshop. I can present an evidence based presentation for filters vs editors.

Your comment has given me further thoughts Photoshop vs Free. Are expensive effects processors any better than the free ones

Much appreciated
Old 19-06-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
Always comes up trumps, that's very much appreciated.

I'll PM to arrange.

Thank you.
Old 23-06-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
It's no different to putting a "lensbaby" on a D3x Anything stuck on the front is there to produce an effect. I remember burning a hole in a stocking, smearing vasaline on a skylight filter, cutting shapes into card, etc., etc..
takes me back about twenty years. i spent two years trying to figure out how to create burning hearts out of church candles during a sharp ceremony shot. when i finally pulled it off, i was so excited waiting for the bride to see it in her preview book. she went right passed it. i politely stopped her and redirected her to my new masterpiece. "that's nice" as the page again turns.
that was the film days, now anyone can cut and paste anything.
Old 23-06-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykodak View Post
takes me back about twenty years. i spent two years trying to figure out how to create burning hearts out of church candles during a sharp ceremony shot. when i finally pulled it off, i was so excited waiting for the bride to see it in her preview book. she went right passed it. i politely stopped her and redirected her to my new masterpiece. "that's nice" as the page again turns.
that was the film days, now anyone can cut and paste anything.
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face at the end of a bad day

How about that cheesy shot of the rings in the crease of a Bible with the shadows forming hearts

I have to admit I have only done 3 weddings (Family & Friends) but found it all too stressfull. Ok you can do a whole lot more with digital and it is that much easier but I simply didn't enjoy it. I much prefer doing my own thing with whoever the photographer isn't shooting. The last one I did the parents were so pleased with my images thay gave me a case of wine

I often make a point of looking at your pictures and appreciate your expertise

Old 23-06-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

i served as an explosives guy and a gunner on a gunship in all of southeast asia. when i got home. i got an office job and shot weddings on the side. within six months, i got an ulcer...