Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > The back pages > For sale or wanted

For sale or wanted If you have something for sale or you are on the look out for something to buy or swap, let us know here. There are specific terms and conditions for posting on this board.

Old 26-06-14
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Looking for an iPad Mini with Retina display

Update: now purchased a 32GB model from Amazon £326

I thought I'd just quickly see if anyone here has a surplus iPad Mini with Retina display (must be the more recent model with the A7 processor and higher resolution display) before I order a new one. I need one to be able to run Adobe's latest Creative Cloud iOS apps. Cosmetic condition not that important, basically looking for a good price 16GB is fine but would prefer 32GB if available. Don't need cellular data capability but if the price is right won't turn it down.

Would also consider an iPad Air but I personally prefer the form factor of the Mini.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Last edited by Ian; 27-06-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 29-06-14
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for an iPad Mini with Retina display

So, if you are interested, iPads without cellular data built in have no GPS so can't be used for satnav or hiking. None support multiple user accounts, forcing many to buy additional iPads when one might have sufficed. You can't add inexpensive storage capacity and if the battery fails it's not user-replaceable. It's incredibly difficult to make an iPad work with network attached storage. The displayed key-cap keyboard letters are always in upper case even when lower case is selected, Apple has moved to ensure cheap replacement USB cables won't work thanks to a software update, they decided to invent a proprietary cable instead of adopt Micro USB, you can't use an alternative keyboard like Swype, the UI is in parts really out of date and for the privilege of enduring all this you pay at least 50% more than comparable Android tablets.

I feel compelled to rant because I have effectively been forced to buy an iPad because for arguably irrational reasons the platform has become very popular and I need to be able test iPad software and accessories.

An iPad is not my tablet of choice, but there you go.

Ian

PS oh yes, and Apple this week they announced their cutting edge Aperture I photographic image workflow software was being abandoned after rival Lightroom from Adobe was being expanded further with a free version for iPads. Great moves, Apple.
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/