Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Lens view

Lens view The DPNow.com board for talking about lenses - big, small, long, and short.

Old 14-02-11
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

New lens purchased fri, not really had time to have a good play but did have chance to grab a few shots with it sat night at the Charity Dinner.
This was taken at the 10mm setting giving 15mm on the d90, Ive corrected for lens distortion in lr3, it was shot at iso 3200 so some detail has been lost from noise reduction. Can't wait to try this lens out on landscapes and of coarse with the new d7000 when it arrives.

Old 14-02-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
New lens purchased fri, not really had time to have a good play but did have chance to grab a few shots with it sat night at the Charity Dinner.
This was taken at the 10mm setting giving 15mm on the d90, Ive corrected for lens distortion in lr3, it was shot at iso 3200 so some detail has been lost from noise reduction. Can't wait to try this lens out on landscapes and of coarse with the new d7000 when it arrives.

Yes Ash it a brilliant lens, I have the Canon fit version, apparently its Sigma's best selling lens.
I am something of a fan of Sigma lenses owning 5 + 1x4 converter all excellent, the 150-500 is perhaps a little soft at the 500 end.

Patrick
Old 14-02-11
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

Hi Patrick, I have not had chance to get a filter for it, does fitting a filter have any effect like vignetting, I no hoya do some very slim rimmed filters, just wondered what you had.
Ash.
Old 15-02-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Hi Patrick, I have not had chance to get a filter for it, does fitting a filter have any effect like vignetting, I no hoya do some very slim rimmed filters, just wondered what you had.
Ash.
I have a UV filter fitted as is my habit to protect the front element, a regular one not the special thin version and it does not cause any vignetting.
However I sometimes use my Cokin Z pro filter holder on as well, that just catches the edges at the 10mm end, go to about 11mm and its gone.
Possibly without the UV filter this would not happen as the thickness of the filter pushes the Cokin holder to where it vignettes. Perhaps I should test it and find out

Patrick
Old 15-02-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have a UV filter fitted as is my habit to protect the front element, a regular one not the special thin version and it does not cause any vignetting.
However I sometimes use my Cokin Z pro filter holder on as well, that just catches the edges at the 10mm end, go to about 11mm and its gone.
Possibly without the UV filter this would not happen as the thickness of the filter pushes the Cokin holder to where it vignettes. Perhaps I should test it and find out

Patrick
Just tested the Z pro holder on the 10mm end but without my UV filter and it doesn't vignette.

Patrick
Old 15-02-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Just tested the Z pro holder on the 10mm end but without my UV filter and it doesn't vignette.

Patrick
I have just realized I have the f4 not the newer f3.5 still a bloody good lens.

Patrick