Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion

DSLR and other system camera discussion The place on DPNow.com for discussing Digital Single Lens Reflex camera issues and up and coming mirrorless or SLT system cameras.

Old 16-05-10
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Josh Bear is on a distinguished road
Re: Brand loyalty - how strong is it?

Hi All,

I am not sure brand loyalty has been a big factor for me. I started with a Sony P1 and then moved to a Sony F717. However I didn't give Sony a second thought when Canon brought out the 300D which was my first DSLR.

After that and not just because I had lenses but also because I had learnt the operating system I stuck with canon as they were meeting my needs. I moved to a 20D, then a 5D and finally a 5D mark 2. During that time the "who produces the best camera" crown seems to have passed from canon to nikon and maybe back to canon again. With that said my needs from a camera began to change. Yes I love the quality of full frame combined with L lenses but I also needed a lighter option that retained as much image quality as possible.

I had a brief flirtation with a panasonic lx3 and I know it is a good camera but for whatever reason I could just not get on with it. So when Olympus brought out the EP1 I instantly fell in love and have recently moved from that to the EP2. for me it meets that need of high IQ with portability.

So over the 7 and half years since owning the Sony P1 I have owned 4 brands of camera so going back to the start, brand loyalty hasn't been a big thing for me. However if canon bring out a camera system along the lines of micro four thirds will I switch back from olympus to canon?

Best Regards

Josh
Old 22-12-13

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jimindenver is on a distinguished road

I've shot with Oly gear for 30 years but developments this year are pushing me into other directions. The money I had saved up for the E 7 that never came will be spent on a Canon body, a MP-e65 macro lens, a 2x converter and a flash set up. That will push my macro farther than I'd ever get with the 35mm/ EC 20 set up I use now so maybe it's a good thing Oly changed direction once again.
Old 22-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimindenver View Post
I've shot with Oly gear for 30 years but developments this year are pushing me into other directions. The money I had saved up for the E 7 that never came will be spent on a Canon body, a MP-e65 macro lens, a 2x converter and a flash set up. That will push my macro farther than I'd ever get with the 35mm/ EC 20 set up I use now so maybe it's a good thing Oly changed direction once again.
Interestingly, for me, I got to play with the new Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens, at an AP event in London. At a very similar price to the MP-e65 (£850), I expected something a bit better from the Pentax, over what I can get from my Olympus 35mm, but this was not the case.

While I don't have direct comparison shots to show you, I am of the opinion that the Olympus 35mm with a 25mm extension produces a slightly clearer image. Having said that I still get very good results from my old OM Bellows with the 80mm f/4 Bellows Macro Lens.

So much of good quality macro is down to the "Wow" factor of the subject, getting the lighting just right and a bit of luck on top of seriously good technique.

Look forward to seeing some shots with your new kit.

Old 22-12-13

Thanks Graham

It will be a while since having the cash for the body is one thing, the lens, 2x tc and flash is another. I'm considering selling off my OM 20mm f 2 that appears to be fetching as much as the MP E 65 right now although it's hard to find many to compare prices.

Plus, it will be months before things thaw here and even longer before the critters show up in the mountains. So I have lots of time to research which body and flash set up to get.
Old 22-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

For lighting I use either a DIY set of LED Lights or a Sunpak PRO 16 Ringflash
For some subjects I have several old T20 guns that I adjust with ND film

Playing with digital is so much easier than it was with film/Polaroid

Seasons greetings
Old 22-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Josh Bear is on a distinguished road

wow, a three year old thread revived. The internet is a strange old world where ancient knowledge reappears

Anyway, reading back on what I said I thought I would post an update. I am now almost a sole olympus user having a great time with the EM1. My canon 5D mark III is left in a camera bag and hasn't been used for many many months.

Best regards

Josh
Old 23-12-13

keithtyler is on a distinguished road

In November, I shelved my Olympus E3 and have moved into the Nikon camp with a D610.

It was an expensive move, particularly because of the additional expense of the full frame lenses, but Olympus wasn't really heading in a direction that I wanted to follow.

- Keith
Old 23-12-13
Admin

Liked at 193 Times in 156 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

It just goes to show that everybody is different and no one manufacturer can satisfy everyone. And that is really how it should be I feel. Camera companies should focus on their core strengths and serve their sector as well as they can.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
The Following 2 Users say to Ian they like this post:
Bob Ross (23-12-13), Graham_of_Rainham (23-12-13)
Old 23-12-13

Had I seen this 3 years ago I would have said I bled Oly blue although looking back I've wanted the MP E 65 for a long time. It was the EC 20 that took the 35mm to 2-1 macro and the foam ring flash I created that kept me content until some one mentioned putting a TC with the Canon macro for 10 - 1 and I think I started to drool.
Old 24-12-13

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
David M is on a distinguished road

I've used Olympus since 1976. But with over three decades as a pro I've used a wide variety of digital, 35mm, medium and large format equipment. They're all just tools, it's the image that counts.