Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 06-10-06
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
toddytwo is on a distinguished road
digital to slides query

I'm taking passable digital photographs,and belong to a camera club which still has slide comps .
I've sent images to two firms who transfer digital to slides ,both seem to be sending back slides which have dampness behind the glass ,which really comes out in the heat of the projector . could it be that the slides are being posted off to me before completely dry,and if so would I do better if I ask for normal slides ,rather than glass mounts ?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree ,and its something I'm doing which is causing the problem.[the slides are stored correctly ,and in one instance actually came direct from the companies packaging ,having just arrived in the post ]
thanks
toddytwo
Old 06-10-06
lumix

Re: digital to slides query

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddytwo View Post
I'm taking passable digital photographs,and belong to a camera club which still has slide comps .
I've sent images to two firms who transfer digital to slides ,both seem to be sending back slides which have dampness behind the glass ,which really comes out in the heat of the projector . could it be that the slides are being posted off to me before completely dry,and if so would I do better if I ask for normal slides ,rather than glass mounts ?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree ,and its something I'm doing which is causing the problem.[the slides are stored correctly ,and in one instance actually came direct from the companies packaging ,having just arrived in the post ]
thanks
toddytwo
Not too sure if this is related to your problem. I once took some slides (glass mounted) to work with me as I was going on to a show straight from work. The slides were in the car all day and it was quite a cold day. Did not notice the condition of the slides when I popped them into the projector. Was my face red when the show started. Condensation is a word that echos in my ears till today.
Old 08-10-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks
toddytwo
To be perfectly honest toddytwo, I think the whole concept of producing slides for your clubs competition is somewhat dated and out of kilter with modern trends.

I'm no camera club user, but fromwhat I hear from others many clubs these days have fully embraced digital photography and invested in digital projection equipment.

I work as a photographer at many events, conferences etc. throughout the year and frankly slide projectors and OHP's are NEVER seen these days. Do you not think then that you are simply prolonging the use of slides and slide projectors by converting your digital files to slides? If it were me I would be putting pressure on for the club to buy a digital projector, fromwhat I see you can get one for well under £500 these days. Patrick, a long time menber of these forums I know is a camera club user and I seem to remember himsaying his club used one. Autumn another member uses a camera club and they have one too. Perhaps they may like to comment.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

DTD is on a distinguished road

How about a neg/slide scanner as well as a projector. I've read about a few camera clubs that (by stressing themselves as part of the community) have successfully got Lottery funding to buy such gear.

I've mentioned before, but I was using computers a lot to do dtp before digital photography came along. But I can sympathise with people who can't face having to learn how to use them. Especially if all they want to do is what they were quite happy doing with silver.
Old 08-10-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
How about a neg/slide scanner as well as a projector. I've read about a few camera clubs that (by stressing themselves as part of the community) have successfully got Lottery funding to buy such gear.

I've mentioned before, but I was using computers a lot to do dtp before digital photography came along. But I can sympathise with people who can't face having to learn how to use them. Especially if all they want to do is what they were quite happy doing with silver.
That sounds like a good plan DTD and will allow the film users to not feel left out of any capital expenditure. Everyone will be on a level playing field so to speak

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 86 Times in 73 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Stephen is right. Our club

http://www.worksop-photo-society.co.uk/

applied and received a Coalboard Regeneration Grant with which we bought a screen, a slide scanner, a laptop and digital projector.

As a member, I have used the slide scanner for personal use to scan our old family slides. I put them into CS2 adjusted them and made a slideshow for our 4 children. It was very easy to do and the end result was much better then the original slides.

With regard to your query re having digital photographs converted to slides for your competitions, quite a few of our members also do that. They seem very happy with their results. Coincidently, the person who does the conversion is a member of our camera club and also lives in Worksop.

http://www.microquiz.net/shop/products.php?cat=5

Finally, this week, for the very first time, our 1st Club Competition of the season included digitally projected images in addition to slides, colour and mono prints.

These were e mailed to our Competition Secretary who put them into Slideshow To Go, I believe. They were then projected and judged independently along with the other entries.

However, the results were not so punchy as the transparencies. We are wondering if having the projector calibrated would help, but as everyone’s work was prepared on their own pcs within different colour spaces, and photographs taken with different cameras, we are not sure if that would be the answer.
I would be interested in hearing how other clubs have got around this problem.

Sorry to have rambled on toddytwo, but I hope I have been a little help.

Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

DTD is on a distinguished road

I'd think you would need a really good projector to come close to equaling a well projected slide.

Getting different peoples images to match is always going to be hard. Picture libraries usually issue submission guidelines which say for example the resolution, colour space etc. files should be submitted with.
You could perhaps do the same for your 'slides'.

But you will still have differences. How many of your members calibrate there monitor, how do they do it etc. I think the best you can hope for is evening things out a bit.

Incidently, I came across what I thought was a really good introduction to managing colour (hope Ian doesn't mind me pointing to another web site)
here:

http://www.redeye.org.uk/redeye/info...p?uvarCatID=73
Old 08-10-06
Forum newbie

thanks everyone ,
our slide quality really is very good.our only real problem is the moisture within the slide mount even when the slide has just arrived from the supplier in the post.
home stored digital slides have the same problem,which dries to dirty mouldy looking smudges especially in areas of sky
toddytwo
Old 08-10-06
Admin

Liked at 189 Times in 152 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
Incidently, I came across what I thought was a really good introduction to managing colour (hope Ian doesn't mind me pointing to another web site)
here:

http://www.redeye.org.uk/redeye/info...p?uvarCatID=73
David, no problem linking to (most) other sites as long as they aren't what I'd categorise as fraudulent or misleading. A lot of people find DPNow because we have been linked to by appreciative people on other sites

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
thanks
toddytwo
I believe the ones our members have converted by Micro Quiz aren't between glass. Therefore, they are able to dry naturally I would think. As I don't use them I can't be sure.

Old 08-10-06
Forum newbie

thanks autumn ,I think thats going to be the answer,buy them as ordainary slides,and to mount them between glass just for competition work
Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
thanks autumn ,I think thats going to be the answer,buy them as ordainary slides,and to mount them between glass just for competition work
I'm sorry, but I probably misled you there. All the slides that our members submit seem to be 35mm Premier Slide Plastic MOUNTED. I have never seen a glass mounted one submitted for our competitions. Therefore, I would think they have plenty of time to dry ... ... not being trapped between glass?

Old 08-10-06
Forum newbie

unfortunately its one of our club rules that competition work is glass mounted,but I think thats the answer and we've hit the nail on the head
thanks
toddy
Old 08-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
unfortunately its one of our club rules that competition work is glass mounted,but I think thats the answer and we've hit the nail on the head
thanks
toddy

I did wonder. Of course, it does prevent them 'popping' under the hot lamp and becoming out of focus.

Audrey