Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 10-10-06
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
molja is on a distinguished road
Macro photos

I need a piece of advice. I was trying to take a macro photo of my dog, but it isnít so easy. I used a preset close up mode, but I donít like the colors I got. Probably it is better to adjust settings manually. Then what should they be? Do I need any additional lighting, or it isnít necessary. I took quite good macro photos of flowers using a preset mode, but it doesnít work with my dog. Thanks.
Old 10-10-06
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Macro photos

Hi molja - and a very warm welcom to DPNow!

There is a discussion elsewhere on the forum about RAW shooting and, indeed, using RAW could solve your problem. This is because you can adjust the colour balance of your image with great precision when converting a RAW file.

Does your camera have a RAW recording mode and do you use RAW-compatible image editing software?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 12-10-06
Forum newbie

my camera doesn't support RAW format. And i know very little about it. What are these RAW-compatible image editing software?
Old 12-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molja View Post
I need a piece of advice. I was trying to take a macro photo of my dog, but it isn’t so easy. I used a preset close up mode, but I don’t like the colors I got. Probably it is better to adjust settings manually. Then what should they be? Do I need any additional lighting, or it isn’t necessary. I took quite good macro photos of flowers using a preset mode, but it doesn’t work with my dog. Thanks.
Hi Molja!

Can you give us an idea of exactly what you are trying to achieve composition wise, when you say you are trying a Macro photo of your dog, do you mean a small portion of him, as Macro mode is usually used for very small subjects such as insects.

The colour problem, is almost certainly down to the white balance, are you shooting using artificial light?

Are you able to attach what you have done so far so as we can get an idea of what you are trying to do?
Old 12-10-06
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

RAW format is a kind of digital version of a film negative. It's the unprocessed image data from the camera's image sensor. It contains the maximum information about your image, whereas the JPEG image that most cameras produce is 'distilled' from the RAW data and has had much of the information removed for ever.

With RAW you can make radical changes to an image in terms of colour balance, sharpness, brightness and contrast, with minimal impact on fundamental quality.

RAW format used to be exclusive to mainly professional standard cameras but it has been appearing in increasingly affordable cameras of late.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 19-10-06
Forum newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Hi Molja!

Can you give us an idea of exactly what you are trying to achieve composition wise, when you say you are trying a Macro photo of your dog, do you mean a small portion of him, as Macro mode is usually used for very small subjects such as insects.
That is not really a macro photo, but i decided to attach it, as i want to hear your opinion. What is wrong about this shot to your mind and what i can improve next time. I will appreciate all comments.
Attached Thumbnails
autumn 2006 108.jpg  
Old 19-10-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molja View Post
That is not really a macro photo, but i decided to attach it, as i want to hear your opinion. What is wrong about this shot to your mind and what i can improve next time. I will appreciate all comments.
Hi molja, there are IMHO a couple of major things wrong with your photo. Firstly the dogs head, especially nose, is not entirely in focus, in fact the carpet is more in focus. This suggests your point of focus was not correct and there has not been enough depth of field behind the point of focus to keep the nose sharp.

Secondly the flash has overpowered the shot. You are not using the ambient light and allowing the flash to domuch of the work. You can see the area behind the dog go dark, this is flash drop off and a common problem with relatively low powered built in flashes. You can also see the pretty heavy shadows on the dog caused by the harsh directional flash, bounce flash or a diffuser would have helped with this. You can see by the dogs eyes that the flash was very directional and the bright sheen on the dogs coat cause by the flash.

I'm sorry if I appear to tear the picture to pieces so to speak, but I hope you understand the points I make.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 20-10-06
Forum newbie

Thanks Stephen, i will try to take into account all that you said next time. It is very useful. thanks again for not just critiquing, but for full explanation of these faults.