Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Say hello

Say hello Who are you? Tell us a bit about yourself in our forum guest book; where do you come from, what are your main interests (photographic or otherwise) and how you did you find out about DPNow?

Old 29-10-06
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SFL is on a distinguished road
Talking I am "Harry"'s husband

I bought us a panasonic digital camera when our old Samsung lost it's back door, and I have hardly seen the camera since then.

I like my wife am a complete novice to photography, digital or otherwise, but I am keen to learn.

Harr(y)iet and I are going on holiday to San Francisco, Northern California and the Redwoods and finally to Yosemite next week.
If anybody has any tips for landscape photography, which we both like, we would be most obliged.

I am a dentist as a profession and if you REALLY want I can post a few of my clinical photographs if you wish, but they are not for the squeamish as the best ones contain a lot of blood.

Thanks for any help
Old 29-10-06
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road
Re: I am "Harry"'s husband

Hi SFL, Welcome to the forum, I suggest you to buy a monopod, this is light and easy to use for panoramic photography. All you have to do is to photograph the scene and stitch it with software when you back from your trip. Here is an example of a shot with this technique. Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Pan 01.jpg  
Old 29-10-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL View Post

Harr(y)iet and I are going on holiday to San Francisco, Northern California and the Redwoods and finally to Yosemite next week.
If anybody has any tips for landscape photography, which we both like, we would be most obliged.
I visited San Francisco after Yosemite a few years ago. Will you approach Yosemite via the Tioga pass, maybe that will be closed by the time you go. However this really is the best way to get some stunning shots. The YNP is a fantastic place for photography,if you get chance go up to Glacier point, there is one of those views you must see before you die In the valley bottom round the Merced river it really does pay to get up early to capture the light or try and get the evening glow of the sun going down on those fantastic rock faces and Mountains. I'm sure you'll love it whatever see and do there though, and of course the Redwoods are awesome and San Francisco has loads to see, I remember particularly an interesting walk round Chinatown and spending time at Fishermans wharfe.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 29-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Hi 'Harry's Husband'
Look forward to seeing your pics when you get back. Have a safe trip.
Old 29-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 45 Times in 38 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I remember particularly an interesting walk round Chinatown and spending time at Fishermans wharfe.

And you must try their Clam Chowder in a sour dough bun!

Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 29-10-06
Admin

Liked at 142 Times in 114 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
And you must try their Clam Chowder in a sour dough bun!

Audrey
Indeed! I can second that. The place (Fisherman's Wharf) is really rather tacky and touristy, but you will probably find some fun street entertainers and the chowder in a hollowed-out mini loaf is very yummy!

Ian

PS A trip to Alcatraz is definitely worthwhile too. Spooky!
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 31-10-06
Forum newbie

SFL is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your messages of things to do and see. I am sure we will have a great time. We were in SF at round about the same time last year, and went to Alcatraz on the night trip, now that was spooky. The photos from that trip were captured on film with the Samsung which I will try to get digitised some time.

Question which may sound dumb, about the post from Danny. What is a monopod? It sounds like a dalek (tripod) with one leg? Am I close! What is good a software package for these panoramic shots ( are any free to download ) and do you not need to take several shots and join them together afterwards?

Thanks for any help you provide and thanks again for your kind welcome, I will post some of our shots when we return.
Old 31-10-06

Question which may sound dumb, about the post from Danny. What is a monopod? It sounds like a dalek (tripod) with one leg? Am I close! What is good a software package for these panoramic shots ( are any free to download ) and do you not need to take several shots and join them together afterwards?

Spot on, the monopod is indeed a single pod, which is light and easy to carry around, especially when you work in low light and you'll need to steady your camera, it can also double up as a walking stick.

There are a few free panoramic programs on the web, need to have a look, I just use the one that comes with Photoshop which work pretty well.

Have a nice hol. Danny
Old 31-10-06
Admin

Quote:
There are a few free panoramic programs on the web, need to have a look, I just use the one that comes with Photoshop which work pretty well.
Hi Danny, panoramas come up in discussions a lot and though I have been able to make some OK-ish panos with Photoshop Photomerge, the consensus here is that it's quite a poor performer compared to a lot of cheap or even free alternatives. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can remind me which prgrams I'm referring to!

Ian
Old 01-11-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Danny, panoramas come up in discussions a lot and though I have been able to make some OK-ish panos with Photoshop Photomerge, the consensus here is that it's quite a poor performer compared to a lot of cheap or even free alternatives. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can remind me which prgrams I'm referring to!

Ian
You're right about PS's photomerge is not the best stitching program for panoramic photos, but it did forced me to be more discipline in how I capture the shots, it is almost like I've forgot how to drive a manual after driving automatic for a long period of time (you know what I mean).
Old 01-11-06
Admin

That's a good point, Danny - if you give Photomerge a well taken set of component images, it copes much better. And we should all be thinking hard about making the images to be stitched as ideal for the purpose as possible when we're setting the shots up.

Ian
Old 03-11-06
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL View Post
I bought us a panasonic digital camera when our old Samsung lost it's back door, and I have hardly seen the camera since then.

I like my wife am a complete novice to photography, digital or otherwise, but I am keen to learn.

I am a dentist as a profession and if you REALLY want I can post a few of my clinical photographs if you wish, but they are not for the squeamish as the best ones contain a lot of blood.

Thanks for any help
A bigup for the Two Harrys!

Lucky you, going on such a lovely trip. I'm just keen novice with photography so the only good advice to give you is keep plenty of memory cards handy. The best photos are the ones that you least expect! Keep clicking that shutter and have fun.

I'm not volunteering to comment on dentistry

Have a lovely time.

Gina