Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 08-07-09
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Problems caused by IE8

I have Windows XP installed on my Mac mainly so I can run my accounts program Quickbooks. Everything has always worked fine until I recently accepted a Microsoft upgrade. The upgrade installed Service Pack 3 which included IE8. Looking back now I wish I had rejected it, I don't need it as I never use a web browser in Windows. Anyway, my Quickbooks uses the browser to show a customer database in a pop up window and now it seems that the program is not compatable with IE8 and I get an error message. This means individual customers info and history will not show. The error is a run-time error. From what I have read its a recognised fault and its suggested that IE8 is uninstalled and IE7 reinstalled.

My query is, how do I uninstall IE 8? Its not in Add Remove programs, though Service Pack 3 is. Is it as simple as that, or am I leaving myself open to further problems. The info I have so far about the problem is HERE

Check out my BLOG too

Last edited by Stephen; 09-07-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 530 Times in 352 Posts
Barr1e is on a distinguished road
Re: Problems caused by IE8

Hi Stephen -

I hope this is of use.
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_delete_a..._explorer.html

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2817/...uninstall_ie8/

Regards. Barr1e
Old 08-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

Windows XP has a feature that lets you "RESTORE" your system back to the way it was at a previous time & date. You can use that to get the system back to how it was before the SP3/IE8 installation.

I always create "Restore Points" prior to any installations of new software for just this reason and have had to restore my working system on several occasions when things have not worked as I had expected.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 08-07-09
Forum veteran

Another Stephen:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dd441788.aspx

Regards. Barr1e
Old 08-07-09
Seriously addicted

Thanks Barrie, though it seems there is conflicting advice here. One says you can't uninstall IE8 and the other says you can. Also as my installation seems to be held with SP3 in Add/Remove progs, I wonder if I can simply uninstall that

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Windows XP has a feature that lets you "RESTORE" your system back to the way it was at a previous time & date. You can use that to get the system back to how it was before the SP3/IE8 installation.

I always create "Restore Points" prior to any installations of new software for just this reason and have had to restore my working system on several occasions when things have not worked as I had expected.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Graham thanks for replying. I have already tried this route, twice. It made no difference. When I ran IE again it was still V8 and the error message was still there in QB

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-07-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Thanks Barrie, though it seems there is conflicting advice here. One says you can't uninstall IE8 and the other says you can. Also as my installation seems to be held with SP3 in Add/Remove progs, I wonder if I can simply uninstall that
Hi Stephen -

You are right - they are conflicting - you need to uninstall SP3 etc - from the horses mouth:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

Regards. Barr1e
Old 08-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Hi Stephen -

You are right - they are conflicting - you need to uninstall SP3 etc - from the horses mouth:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

Regards. Barr1e
Thanks again Barrie, I'll try that in the morning. I'll let you know if I solve the issue.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My query is, how do I uninstall IE 8? Its not in Add Remove programs, though Service Pack 3 is.

Hi Stephen,

Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us

a summary.

Here they say;

#1) Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
950719 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719/ ) You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

#2) Steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
Close all programs.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs.
In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed updates, try the alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003.
Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.
Now go to the "Did the "Let me fix it myself" steps fix the problem?" section to verify that your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored.

What I learned from Japanese sites is that when IE8 BETA version was installed before IE8 RC1 version, the issue you have confronted frequetly happens.

Incidentally I am also currently struggling with two desktops, one with XP SP3 and another Vista SP2. Both are down on the day when newer SP's were installed but the reasons for that look like nothing to do with the updating. One of them is apparently BIOS issues and I'm a bit lost there.

I'm posting this with IE8 on XP SP3 installed on a old note PC for the first time, although I usually use FF. It looks ok with me. I recall I did reject IE8 installation when updating XP. I did it later.

yoshi
Old 09-07-09
Happy Snapper

Liked at 130 Times in 84 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

No advice - there seems to be plenty above, and I'm not very technically minded, but I did manage to remove the darn thing by uninstalling from control panel/updates. I'm running Vista Home Premium and have gone back to IE7 as IE8 never did run!
Old 09-07-09
Admin

Liked at 189 Times in 152 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Stephen - I hope your problems will be resolved soon!

I'm using IE8 here on my office desktop PC, under XP and SP3 and have no major problems. Occasionally a page will not behave itself, which is almost always down to the page code, rather than IE8. When this happens I can usually solve the problem by viewing the page in FireFox.

I realise this may not be the case with QuickBooks as it doesn't use IE in standard browser view, but sites with older style code on their pages (some of our pages on DPNow, for example) you will see a broken page icon next to the address bar. If you have problems with a page, clicking on this will invoke compatibility mode and it often improves things.

The problem for Microsoft (and all other browser vendors) is that page code quality is generally very bad, so the browsers are actually packed with measures to correct bad HTML implementation, but this slows the browser down. Microsoft has been criticised for IE browser speed and it seems that they have adopted a leaner approach, but this lets more of the bad page code through.

HTML coding is also evolving. For example, it's now less 'acceptable' to use tables for layout than ever before, with CSS the accepted 'correct' method for page layout. When we started DPNow back in 2001, hardly anyone was using CSS. It's all a bit of a mess!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Stephen - I hope your problems will be resolved soon!

I'm using IE8 here on my office desktop PC, under XP and SP3 and have no major problems. Occasionally a page will not behave itself, which is almost always down to the page code, rather than IE8. When this happens I can usually solve the problem by viewing the page in FireFox.

I realise this may not be the case with QuickBooks as it doesn't use IE in standard browser view, but sites with older style code on their pages (some of our pages on DPNow, for example) you will see a broken page icon next to the address bar. If you have problems with a page, clicking on this will invoke compatibility mode and it often improves things.

The problem for Microsoft (and all other browser vendors) is that page code quality is generally very bad, so the browsers are actually packed with measures to correct bad HTML implementation, but this slows the browser down. Microsoft has been criticised for IE browser speed and it seems that they have adopted a leaner approach, but this lets more of the bad page code through.

HTML coding is also evolving. For example, it's now less 'acceptable' to use tables for layout than ever before, with CSS the accepted 'correct' method for page layout. When we started DPNow back in 2001, hardly anyone was using CSS. It's all a bit of a mess!

Ian
Hi Ian, thanks for that. I tried to do as was suggested and uninstall SP3. This worked OK except that Windaz would not reboot. It seemed that the easiest and most pain free route was to reinstall Windaz all together. So, this is what I have done this morning. The good news is that my data files have not been lost and still remained in their directories. Also Quickbooks now works perfectly.

I only use Windaz for my accounts prog, Quickbooks, and a web creation prog WebPlusX2. Oh and an Epson prog to print on CD's. I really feel that there is no need for me to accept any further updates from Microsoft, and I certainly have no need to install IE8, the current version in XP will be adequate.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-07-09
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

i take it running compatability mode hasnt helped?
Old 09-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
i take it running compatability mode hasnt helped?
Err where would I find that Ben? Its somewhat academic now though as I showed it who was boss

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-07-09
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Err where would I find that Ben? Its somewhat academic now though as I showed it who was boss
well, for those who experience problems, it can be found under 'tools'
glad you sorted it though!