Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > Eye of the camera > Assignments and challenges

Assignments and challenges Focus your photography on a specific subject, topic or style.

Old 22-03-08
Oh for more time...

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
19ninety is on a distinguished road
Re: Post your panos here (warning horizontal scrolling)

how do you deal with moving objects/people in a pano scene? just a case of taking many images, until theres enough to work it out. Clouds cause me troubles too on a clear day, but sky is a bit easier to workout with PS as not much detail.
Old 22-03-08
Forum regular

John Houghton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ninety View Post
how do you deal with moving objects/people in a pano scene? just a case of taking many images, until theres enough to work it out.
If you allow a decent overlap, there's not usually too much of a problem. Anticipation and timing will help a lot. Often, you can take an extra shot covering a potentally difficult area with the camera rotated into landscape orientation for maximum width (the main shots normally being in portrait). The latest blending programs (like Smartblend and Enblend) now do a good job of routing the seam line around objects so that ghosts and disembodied legs are largely eliminated.

John
Old 22-03-08
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Hi John, thanks for your input. I use Panorama Factory, and generally it does a pretty good job on fully automatic. Maybe if I was to try again with more user input it would do a better job.

I bought a license a while ago for the PC and thankfully when I moved platforms to a Mac they gave me the Mac version for no extra charge, so I feel some loyalty towards them. I'll have a look at the ones you mention though.

I was impressed with with your 360 VR panorama at Greenwich. Presumably this requires some special software if only to show it in a window on your web site? PF will do 360 panos though I have never tried one and therefore I'm not sure how it would render it for viewing

Check out my BLOG too

Old 22-03-08
Forum regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
PF will do 360 panos though I have never tried one and therefore I'm not sure how it would render it for viewing
There are far better stitchers around than Panorama Factory. Its main limitation is that it won't do proper multirow panoramas. Nor does it handle extreme wide angle lenses like fisheyes. have used PTGui for the last eight years and not found anything better, though it isn't the easiest to learn. Autopano Pro is the new kid on the block and is a very capable automatic stitcher and relatively easy to use. Even easier is Autostitch, which is free and can give excellent results. You should try sticking you three images into that! The new stitcher in Photoshop CS3 is also very good, though not for VR work.

The process for producing VR panoramas for the web is:

1. Take the photos covering the entire 360x180 degree view, including the bit under the tripod or your feet.

2. Stitch the images into a 360x180 equirectangular image. Patch the nadir to eliminate the tripod.

3. From the final equirectangular image, generate a Quicktime cubic .mov file. Some stitchers will do this, but you can use Pano2QTVR to do this (free version available). It will also generate 6 cubic tiles (90 degree rectilinear views: four around plus one up and one down), which are convenient for patching purposes - easier than editing the heavily distorted equirectangular image at the zenith and nadir.

4. Use the detectVR script and sample html files from the DevalVR web site for displaying the panorama on the web (free). The script is used by the html file to discover which viewer plugins are installed and display the .mov file or flash version accordingly. It's not difficult to produce uncomplicated web pages like those on my web site.

John
Old 22-03-08
Smile!

ekkl is on a distinguished road

Got to say there are some brilliant pictures on here, (I feel a bit embarrassed putting mine up) all are superb and I really love AT's picture of Brixham.

I was just looking through some old discs last night for some pictures for my website when I came accross these of Devils Dyke looking north over Sussex. They were handheld using a Canon S400.

I just stitched them together using Canon Photo Stitch.

There are six pictures in all and you can virtually see all the joins Never mind, first time at this and the software done it for me.

It does inspire me to get out and take a few pics this weekend and try some new stuff. Concentrate a lot more rather than just sweep accross the landscape snapping away and also use a tripod too.

We should have a vote on this thread for the best stitch, any chance of sorting that out?

Last edited by ekkl; 22-03-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 22-03-08

paul.r.w is on a distinguished road

I've posted this before, but it's the only one I've done.

On the Nile at Aswan

Old 23-03-08
Ancient Geek

Liked at 98 Times in 86 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Post your panos here (warning horizontal scrolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
My latest panorama is a VR taken at Greenwich Royal Observatory a couple of days ago with a handheld Canon 40D. The queue of students is to get the must-have photo astride the line of the Greenwich Meridian with a foot in each hemisphere. It's a biggish download, so not for dialup connections:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/royalobs.htm

(It's worth trying the Devalvr viewer, which is a very small download and gives a smoother display than either Flash or Quicktime).

John
Well I knew I was going to be in for a treat when I spotted your posting and I certainly wasn't disappointed! This is wonderful. It has real presence and beautifully presented too.

Superb!

Pol
Old 23-03-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
If you allow a decent overlap, there's not usually too much of a problem. Anticipation and timing will help a lot. Often, you can take an extra shot covering a potentally difficult area with the camera rotated into landscape orientation for maximum width (the main shots normally being in portrait). The latest blending programs (like Smartblend and Enblend) now do a good job of routing the seam line around objects so that ghosts and disembodied legs are largely eliminated.

John
Excellent shot as usual John (EDIT: whoops, just noticed I referenced the wrong post!) - any chance of a detailed tutorial? Well, if you don't ask.....

On the Greenwich theme, here's one of my 9 shot (3 x 3) panos (? or is it a "joiner"?). I posted this one a while back so it may be new to some. I was really impressed with how well PTGui handled this set of images, given the complexity of the rigging etc. Taken before the unfortunate fire - not sure how the renovation is coming along - anyone know?.

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 23-03-08
Forum regular

Stuart, That's a very nice stitch; you seem to be doing well enough with PTGui.

Despite appearances in the news footage, they say only 2% of the boards of the Cutty Sark have been lost. Many of the burnt boards can apparently be planed back to sound timber, and a good proportion had been removed for renovation work before the fire. The iron frames have mostly survived with little distortion. A notice outside said the boat is expected to be back on display in 2009, though there was no indication of how much would be restored by then.

John
Old 25-03-08
Forum veteran

jojo is on a distinguished road

You might need your sunnies on for this one! This was taken about four years ago in Sedona, Arizona, famous for its red rocks amongst other things. I used my first digital compact (the original Ixus) with a mammoth 2.1 mp!

Old 26-03-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road

I have never created a Pano until today..............this was taken yesterday specifically for this thread. My brother and his boy were visiting so I took them to Mawgan Porth. I wasn't going for hi tech I just hand held three shots of the beach and crochet them together and this is the result. I quite like the Idea of doing more so its off to the wide open moors next.

p.s My brother and his son are in the foreground
Old 26-03-08
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Thats a cracker Mike, thanks for making the effort, and glad the thread inspired you to do so. I love the position of the house on the left too, it really helps to balance the picture.

I'm going on a jaunt next week to the Lakes, with some pals, which include Ian & Julia. I'm going to try a few panos, and even shoot them in portrait mode to give some height to them.

If anyone is in or near Keswick next Thursday, you are welcome to join us.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 26-03-08
Forum veteran

Cheers Stephen, I love the lakes Ive walked a lot of them, so im so jealous.......unfortunately its a little far from cornwall............I like the idea of shooting in portrait, Ive always thought panos seem to loose something in that perspective...........I might try the same thing on the moors here, I have a couple of sites in mind, I feel an early morning trip coming on
Old 26-03-08
Forum regular

Mike, I like your Morgan Porth panorama very much. The light is very nice, despite the lack of sunshine. It does look to me like the central image is a bit darker than the outer two, though, which may possibly be due to using the camera in auto exposure mode. If that is so, you can make blending easier if you shoot all the images with the same exposure (and white balance).

You might like this Cornish panorama taken at Tintagel. The sky was mostly grey and featureless, with only fleeting glimpses of the sun. I added a more interesting sky from a panorama that I took at Woolacombe beach!

John
Old 26-03-08
Forum veteran

Hi John, I did wonder how to compensate for that, I was so chuffed at the result i went out and did this, not sure if it counts as it is only 2 images joined