Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Headline news

Headline news Comment on DPNow news stories or even alert us to breaking news we haven't yet spotted.

Old 20-05-11

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
John H. Maw is on a distinguished road
Sigma SD1 - is cost the main problem?

So the SD1 is here(ish) and costs a pretty penny and a few more. Somehow I don't think that cost is it's biggest drawback despite being a pretty sizeable one.

I feel that the biggest problem is the lens mount, because only Sigma makes lenses to fit (as far as I am aware). Now Sigma turns out some decent lenses, but in my experience their quality control is way behind the main camera makers. Two supposedly identical lenses can give widely differing results. Maybe this wasn't too much of a problem with the earlier cameras, but as the resolution rises so the demands on the lens get greater. I just don't see this camera as the cornerstone of a good working system.

Ironic that Sigmas camera may prove to be held back by the lack of third party lenses, when Sigma is best known for producing just such lenses for other makers cameras.
Old 20-05-11
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Sigma SD1 - is cost the main problem?

The SD1 (See Sigma SD1 details here) is by far the best spec. Sigma DSLR, not just ever, but for its time. The basic spec. of all its predecessors was lacking in one area or another and build quality was generally unimpressive. I also haven't been wowed by image quality either. I remain open to be convinced, but until now the suggestion that the previous SD DSLRs were somehow better than comparable competition because of their Foveon sensors hasn't, in my experience, been proven. The SD1 certainly looks like changing that for the first time and I look forward to trying an SD1 in the future.

I'm a bit surprised that the viewfinder, for example, isn't 100% at this level. There is no video mode as far as I know, nor live view. But it does have some dust and moisture sealing and a magnesium alloy body, although only a small number of Sigma lenses are similarly equipped. Details on shooting rate and availability of accessories like battery grips, for example, are a bit sketchy.

But yes, a 6K+ price is astonishing and means the SD1 must persuade Canon EOS-1Ds and Nikon D3s users, let alone Sony Alpha 900 (less than half the price) users and EOS-5D Mark II users, that the price is somehow worth it.

Ian

PS One plus that does tend to answer the admittedly recurrent question mark over sample variability is that (in the UK at least) customer support us usually exemplary.
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/