Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Canon camera discussion

Canon camera discussion This is the place on the DPNow Forum to share your thoughts and experiences regarding Canon gear.

Old 24-11-12

Liked at 177 Times in 103 Posts
David Morison is on a distinguished road
Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Pancake

Fed up with not having the ability to capture landscapes when out with my 7D and the 400mm f5.6L, my only Canon lens, I decided to fork out on the little inexpensive 40mm pancake lens to carry in my pocket. The lens gets a good report in Photozone so it was worth the risk. Well it seems to have paid off as during it's trial run today in very dull conditions gave me some very acceptable results.

Scott's Hill in my village of Fulbeck, Lincs:

100% crop of same:

No pp just exported from RAW. Considering the dull, misty conditions it shows some promise - at least as a minuscule item costing less than 130!

David
Old 25-11-12
Ancient Geek

Liked at 99 Times in 87 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Pancake

They're very nice actually. I like them and I'm sure you'll never regret buying that little lens.

Pancakes are great imo. We have a selection of Pentax pancakes here at home and they're very useful as we can carry a range in our pockets. Small, lightweight and good quality prime lenses.

Pol
Old 25-11-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Pancake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post

100% crop of same:

No pp just exported from RAW. Considering the dull, misty conditions it shows some promise - at least as a minuscule item costing less than 130!

David
I've never heard of EF40mm pancake lens so I went to Canon site and found that it was released in last summer. And you now have it!

The 100% crop shows, yes, quite decent quality of the lens, although it is from the center of the lens. I might be attracted to it and Christmas/New year season is coming. Everybody can easily find justification for purchasing. Will look into reputation/evaluation of the lens at our sites as well. Until today I had EF-S 60mm macro in my mind.
If possible, I want to have a bodycap lens like the one from Olympus.

BTW the above photo shows the inside of the room is quite visible. In UK people must be properly dressed all the time, whether it's outside or at home.

yoshi