Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 03-04-08
Smile!

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ekkl is on a distinguished road
Website Help Please

Hi all. I have been asked to help someone sort out a web-site that will be home to around 3000 pictures taken by a Canadian photographer who died recently.

His sister, (my mother in law) has asked me for help.

I know it will take a lot of scanning his pictures but fortunately, I will not be doing that, they just want me to sort out a basic web site and hosting etc.

What I want to know is roughly how much bandwidth will 3000 pictures take?

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-04-08
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road
Re: Website Help Please

it depends on what size the files are and how often they're requested from users / other sites. so, it could range from very little to shed loads.

to try and quantify it, i'll use my site as an example. there's probably the best part of 25000 images on there, average file size of about 80k each. looking at the logs for the last 5 days, there were 120,000 hits on the site from 3000 users. 25000 images were transferred totalling 1/2 Gb with another 0.8 gig of .asp pages (80,000 of those). total bandwidth over the 5 days was 1.4 gb.
on a slow week (off season), the bandwidth can drop as low as 100 Mb. the average is about 700Mb / week.

so, it's all relative
Old 05-04-08
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

Hi devilgas, I think you might have just confused the pants off ekkl, I picked up on 'basic website & hosting' and I think ekkl might be confused between bandwidth & server space.
Because the said person has recently passed away Im presuming that the pictures are some form of shrine to honour his work for friends and family to browse.
Sorry ekkl I appologise if I have this all wrong, but I think you mean server space, you can get some free server space and webhosting from various places such as http://jalbum.net/, but space is limited to keep it free, there are many other photo upload sites that do a similar job, for 3000 pics however I think you will have to upgrade and pay a little extra for the extra space required, together with the extra space you pay for, you do get extra bandwidth that devilgas was talking about which means how much traffic ieeople visit the site. It all depends on the size and resolution you want the pictures displayed on the site, as to how much server space you need.
Hope this hepls
cheers
Ash.
Old 06-04-08
Smile!

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ekkl is on a distinguished road

It does Ash, thank you for the reply.

On my own site I bought the basic package and uploaded around 100 or so pictures all at 800x600. I had to upgrage pretty quickly to the next level. I think around the 250meg mark and I now have loads of room on there.

I was just asking as I think 3000 is a lot. I will tell the bloke who will be scanning them to keep to 800x600 and see how that goes.

The photographer by the way was called George Setterfield and his family just want his pictures up on line as he was quite popular I believe.

I am flying over to Toronto in the morning for 18 days. Whilst I am there I will get started and hopefully be able to give you guys a link to see his pictures before I come back.

Thanks again guys.

Paul.
Old 07-04-08
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

Have a safe trip, Ill look forward to seeing some of his work.
cheers
ash.