Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > DPNow photo gallery > Golden Gallery discussion

Golden Gallery discussion Discuss the qualities of the pictures featured in the super-gallery, where only exceptional images are displayed.

Old 25-03-09
F1 nutter

Liked at 42 Times in 35 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Are you saying that members should put their own photographs forward for Golden Gallery? I thought someone had to spot a members photo and then suggest it for the Golden Gallery.
That is also the way I thought it worked. I never knew we had to put our own photos forward. If that is the case I may be cheeky and put one of my sunset photos forward
Old 25-03-09
Admin

Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
That is also the way I thought it worked. I never knew we had to put our own photos forward. If that is the case I may be cheeky and put one of my sunset photos forward
Go for it Peter!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 25-03-09
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parr View Post
Ian,
Unfotunately I think that by selecting a so called golden group of pictures you have inadvertantly created an elitist group by virtue you have discarded what could be percieved as lesser images. Now I do believe this was not your intention, the fact that the selection process is carried out by only a select few, (whose ability is in no way being questioned here), it comes across as similar to being eligible for The World Series.

Again unfortunatly the WWW is a wonderful thing but it is not truly transparent to peoples thoughts and ideas, and I feel that selection procedures should be more transparent.
I can agree with Gina on most of her points but also feel that you have the best intentions for the site, hopefully this debate will let you know how this site is an important part of peoples photographic interests and people will feel again that this is a site truly worthy of its reputation in that all members are invited to join in all aspects of this site.
regards
Mike
Well, first of all I thank you for seeing things from the different angles, but I have to take issue with a couple of things. I feel the word 'elitist' is, by definition, used to convey negativity. You can have a positive application for the word 'elite' but 'elitist' is usually used negatively. Why would we do something that would be interpreted as 'elitist'?

I also think that the perception of elitism is due to a misunderstanding of what the Golden Gallery is all about. Stephen and I have been open as possible about the Golden Gallery. The explanation of how it operates has been public for many months and invitations to submit to the Golden Gallery have been included in every Picture of the Day since last Autumn, and also recent DPNow newsletters. Despite that, many seem not to have realised that you have to pro-actively submit to the Golden Gallery. I don't really know what more we could have done to publicise this.

I still 100% believe in the concept of the Golden Gallery and I very much hope that this added publicity will encourage more submissions.

Ian
Old 26-03-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 48 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Stephen and I have been open as possible about the Golden Gallery. The explanation of how it operates has been public for many months and invitations to submit to the Golden Gallery have been included in every Picture of the Day since last Autumn, and also recent DPNow newsletters. Despite that, many seem not to have realised that you have to pro-actively submit to the Golden Gallery. I don't really know what more we could have done to publicise this.
Ian
You are right Ian, it has been as it is, that you have to submit your own photos! I just didn't believe it and thought I didn't understand it!

I may also put one forward one day, now I have got over the shock!

If nothing else, Gina's post has helped to clarify the rules, because ATMIT, 3 of us thought someone else had to elect your image - and there may be more.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Last edited by Autumn; 26-03-09 at 12:17 AM. Reason: To add last sentence.
Old 26-03-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road

I feel that quite a number of members would aspire to the level/quality etc of Pops bird shots....or Trevors (Digit) landscapes! I know I certainly wish I had their abilities! Perhaps a few more of their works could be considered for inclusion! (If they are willing participants!) I sure wish I had a camera that could produce crisp, sharp photos as well! Not to say that my ability as a photographer would be at a high level to begin with! I truly wish I could afford a DSLR & lenses worth anywhere from $2500! Probably closer to $4000 with the tripods & filters etc! Anyhow, with that said, I feel the Golden Gallery is for the 'Elite'! Certainly something to aspire to, SOME day....maybe one day! Hmmmmm! Dream on gal!
Old 26-03-09
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
You are right Ian, it has been as it is, that you have to submit your own photos! I just didn't believe it and thought I didn't understand it!

I may also put one forward one day, now I have got over the shock!

If nothing else, Gina's post has helped to clarify the rules, because ATMIT, 3 of us thought someone else had to elect your image - and there may be more.
Yes - I'm certainly thankful to Gina for highlighting the Golden Gallery and enabling everyone to understand it better

Ian