Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > DPNow photo gallery > Golden Gallery discussion

Golden Gallery discussion Discuss the qualities of the pictures featured in the super-gallery, where only exceptional images are displayed.

Old 09-12-07
Administrator

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golden Gallery is on a distinguished road
Mono HDR makes the Golden Gallery

Richard Crowe, one our newest members has submitted one of his HDR shots and managed to get in at the third attempt. Richard from Northern Island has made a great impression recently especially with his HDR work. Now you may not generally be a fan of the technique but it can't be denied that there is a certain amount of impact created and this shot in Mono is no exception. The picture can be found HERE

Last edited by Golden Gallery; 10-12-07 at 12:43 AM.
Old 15-12-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: Mono HDR makes the Golden Gallery

Congratulation Richard! a nice pic which deserves well of it! IMHO an effective use of a wide angle lens, good use of HDR and energetic phototaking!
yoshi
Old 16-12-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Congratulation Richard! a nice pic which deserves well of it! IMHO an effective use of a wide angle lens, good use of HDR and energetic phototaking!
yoshi
I went to a workshop last Friday evening on HDR by Guy J Brown www.guyjbrown.com. Very good it was too, quite inspired me to have a go at this technique.
Yoshi, he has a very beautiful shot on the front page of his site (not HDR) taken in Japan.

Patrick
Old 16-12-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link, Patrick. I just finished viewing those pics.
HDR seems to be an useful technique to cope with over exposure. At the moment I'm trying to use an exposure compensation of -2/3 stop or so to avoid a possible blowning out of the sky. HDR must be more effective, though. In UK it looks like there are varieties of photo seminars on every issues!
yoshi
Old 16-12-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Thanks for the link, Patrick. I just finished viewing those pics.
HDR seems to be an useful technique to cope with over exposure. At the moment I'm trying to use an exposure compensation of -2/3 stop or so to avoid a possible blowning out of the sky. HDR must be more effective, though. In UK it looks like there are varieties of photo seminars on every issues!
yoshi
Indeed there are Yoshi many workshops and seminars both at national level and local club level.
This particular event was at Smethwick Photographic Sociaty the largest in the area, The club owns the properly , an old school bought from the local authority. They offer the clubs facilities not to just its own members but other clubs around the Midlands (Middle England) and hosts many traveling photo exhibitions.

You might be interested and view their site www.theoldschoolhouse.com you may also wish to view my clubs site www.aston-erdington.co.uk

Patrick
Old 26-12-07
Okinawa Pictures

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okinawa is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in knowing what you think of HDR now that is more mainstream?
Old 26-12-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 82 Times in 71 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawa View Post
I would be interested in knowing what you think of HDR now that is more mainstream?
I think it's a very useful too if it's used wisely. By "wisely" I mean using it in subtle ways to enhance an image and bring out features that might otherwise have been lost. I don't care for oversaturated HDR imagery.

The tonemapper can also be useful for subtle changes and shifting of light and shadows but I feel that must also be used very carefully otherwise halos and bright patches can appear in inappropriate areas.

So in brief ... HDR is good but only if it is used judiciously imho.

Pol