Digital Photography Now -  

Go Back Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions

Software solutions Exchange ideas and tips and learn how to make the best use of your image editing software here.

Old 04-09-14
Forum veteran
Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up DxO Optics Pro

I'd heard good things about the DxO Optics Pro software, so thought I'd give it a try:

This young lady has some very "fine details", that deserve to be presented as well as she does...

This is a screen capture of the "Before & After" comparison of a very small portion of the image.

Not that you would be interested but the texture of the brickwork is also very much improved.
Old 07-01-18
Forum veteran
Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
Re: DxO Optics Pro

DxO Optics Pro used to be my RAW developer of choice until I decided to go for the Adobe Cloud subscription package, at which point I converted to Lightroom. I had always had PhotoShop in my workflow and it was attractive to me to always have the latest version.

Since moving to Lightroom though, I've found that I don't use Photoshop anywhere near as much - mainly when I want to use the brush option in Nik Software's plugins (not available when used in Lightroom for some reason). Nik plugins I couldn't live without BTW!

Life moves on though and things change! After reading that DxO had acquired the Nik plugins from Google and were not only going to develop a new version of the plugins but also incorporate some of the Nik u-point technology into their new PhotoLab product, I thought I'd have a look at it.

After reading the marketing blurb and watching several YouTube videos and mainly because I could get a cheap upgrade deal as an existing customer , I bought PhotoLab. I'm still evaluating it and trying to work out where it fits into my workflow!

Problem is, I like Lightroom, I've got comfortable with it but I also like the superb "Prime" noise reduction in Photolab along with the fact that the lens distortion corrections are targeted at specific camera body / lens combinations. The lens sharpness adjustments are also useful although often subtle. Smart Lighting and Clear View are interesting options for some images.

So, do I drop Lightroom and go back to DxO or do I try and use bits of both. Do I really need Lightroom libraries or can I not just use a standard directory structure - like I did for years without issue.

Honest answer - I don't know what to do, guess I'll either switch or find a happy medium where all the applications exist in my workflow and I don't get too bogged down with it all.

Trouble is, I used to be an IT Manager in software development. I love software, especially when it's new and complex. I think I'm my own worst enemy .

PS I do go on a bit sometimes
Stuart R

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 07-01-18
Liked at 277 Times in 186 Posts
Garry is on a distinguished road
Re: DxO Optics Pro

Interesting choice of image, Graham !

Would never have seen this thread if Stuart hadn't bought it up.

To the members............Do many of us use DxO Optics pro ?

I'm behind the times and my processing skills are lacking.

I have never heard of DxO Optics Pro.

Just googled and read up on it.