Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion

DSLR and other system camera discussion The place on DPNow.com for discussing Digital Single Lens Reflex camera issues and up and coming mirrorless or SLT system cameras.

Old 31-03-07
Admin

Liked at 197 Times in 159 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
DSLR sensor cleaner system video

I've been experimenting with a Nokia N93 camera phone for video clip reporting. For example, below is a video taken at Focus on Imaging last month, showing a demo of the Arctic Butterfly DSLR camera sensor cleaning system. I'd like to know what you think of the video quality?

Arctic Butterfly sensor cleaner

Thanks,

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Last edited by Ian; 31-03-07 at 08:26 AM.
Old 31-03-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: DSLR sensor cleaner system video

Pretty good quality imo. I've watched it on both the PC and laptop and the details are pretty good on both............. certainly good enough to convey the details of the demonstration.

Polly
Old 31-03-07
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Pretty good quality imo. I've watched it on both the PC and laptop and the details are pretty good on both............. certainly good enough to convey the details of the demonstration.

Polly
Hi Pol,

The YouTube upload process appears to apply some compression that softens the quality up, but it's not too bad.

Nokia very kindly encouraged me to explore the possibilities with the N93 and I think it passes muster. The sound quality is especially good.

So, does the Arctic Butterfly (!) appeal?

Ian
Old 31-03-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Pol,

The YouTube upload process appears to apply some compression that softens the quality up, but it's not too bad.

Nokia very kindly encouraged me to explore the possibilities with the N93 and I think it passes muster. The sound quality is especially good.

So, does the Arctic Butterfly (!) appeal?

Ian
Aye - I've noticed YouTube applies compression to the videos, same with photobucket. That's why I always prefer to use my own webspace on the odd accasions when I might be uploading a temporary video.

I can't recall whether or not I ever mentioned Julian Tan did a nice review on the Arctic Butterfly a few weeks ago. He liked it and it seems to do a good job. See it here ....

However I feel there are still going to be times when wet cleaning might be necessary. I've used Eclipse fluid and Digipads on my *istD. It wasn't difficult and the results were excellent. The K10D dust removal system has worked well for me so far.

I like the looks and idea of the Arctic Butterfly - but I'm happy enough with what I have atm.

Pol
Old 31-03-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Archangel is on a distinguished road

Ian,

The video is OK for a mobile phone. It reminds me the early videos from the first Digital camera at 320 x 240. There is visible blocking when you turn the phone fast towards another direction, but as I said for a mobile phone video is OK.

As far as the cleaning equipment is concerned, sorry, but I think it is a gimmick and a marketing trick for some people to make some extra money.
Sensors are not only subjected to dust but also to air, humidity and other related and especially when exposed to open environment.
So these turning brushes for picking and expelling the dust after are just marketing tricks, at least to me.

George
Old 31-03-07
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Ian,

The video is OK for a mobile phone. It reminds me the early videos from the first Digital camera at 320 x 240. There is visible blocking when you turn the phone fast towards another direction, but as I said for a mobile phone video is OK.

As far as the cleaning equipment is concerned, sorry, but I think it is a gimmick and a marketing trick for some people to make some extra money.
Sensors are not only subjected to dust but also to air, humidity and other related and especially when exposed to open environment.
So these turning brushes for picking and expelling the dust after are just marketing tricks, at least to me.

George
The MP4 file straight out of the camera is a lot better than what you get on YouTube in the message that started this thread. It has suffered through conversion to MPEG-1 and then to flash by YouTube, with compression at each stage.

I might be able to avoid the MPEG-1 conversion stage - I'm still experimenting really.

The N93 is capable of producing better quality than my old Video 8 camcorder I feel. It's also one of the few camera phones that can shoot at 30fps.

Ian