Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories

Accessories Filters, tripods, flash and more. Discuss these and similar hardware topics here.

Old 27-05-11
Gina

First wedding shoot

Would you mind giving me some advice?

I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow (Sat 28 May), I've got a Canon 40D and 400D and the following lenses

Sigma
28-300mm
18-35mm

Canon
80-200mm
50mm
85mm
18-55mm
35-80mm
28-80mm
17-85mm
100-400mm
Extender EF 2x III

Tonika SD 12-24mm f.4

Which lenses would you suggest I take, the 100-400 is a monstor! I've borrowed most of this list from the bride's Dad!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Gina
Old 27-05-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: First wedding shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Would you mind giving me some advice?

I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow (Sat 28 May), I've got a Canon 40D and 400D and the following lenses

Sigma
28-300mm
18-35mm

Canon
80-200mm
50mm
85mm
18-55mm
35-80mm
28-80mm
17-85mm
100-400mm
Extender EF 2x III

Tonika SD 12-24mm f.4

Which lenses would you suggest I take, the 100-400 is a monstor! I've borrowed most of this list from the bride's Dad!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Gina
I would forget about the 100-400 and the extender. There is a lot of duplication in focal lengths, so I would probably go for the 17-85 for most of the shots. The 12-24 could be useful for big group shots if there is limited space. I would use this lens carefully - don't frame too tightly as the periphery of the frame will stretch people and faces.

The 85mm lens - if it's a fast one (do you know what the maximum aperture is?) could be good for low light shots reportage-style. The 50mm lens could also be good for this, and head and shoulder portraits.

Bring both camera bodies and use the 40D but use the 400D as a backup or one with a wide lens and the other with a longer lens.

Make sure you have lots of empty cards and all the batteries charged up (including the flash).

If you have studio flash as well, I went to a friend's wedding at the end of 2009 and their photographer had a studio set up in one of the rooms.

Good luck!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 27-05-11
Gina

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your advice, I'd already decided on the 50 and 85mm but will take the other 2 as well. Wish me luck, looks like showers are predicted for tomorrow so I'll get my running shoes on :0)

Will of course report back x

G
Old 27-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your advice, I'd already decided on the 50 and 85mm but will take the other 2 as well. Wish me luck, looks like showers are predicted for tomorrow so I'll get my running shoes on :0)

Will of course report back x

G
Don't take any more gear than you will need, remember you have to carry it and move about quickly, take your flash if its very sunny, it can be used to fill in the shadows.
Be firm & clear with your instructions, Get the shots of arrivals & signing the register (might need flash here) after the service, start with the biggest group first (everybody) then trim the friends, then relatives, find out tactfully important relatives to get shots with B&G, then B&G with both parents & brides maids and best man, the B&G with one set parents then the other set, possibly again with B/M & BestM. Don't forget the children shots & grandparents., big sellers they are. Then disappear with B&G somewhere quite if possible, and get a good set of B&G together and singly. In between all this get your reportage shots.
There will always be someone that gets very bored with the picture taking and wants to get to the booze. this is the reason for getting friends and relatives photographed first and out of the way. Do them last and you have no chance.

Patrick
Old 27-05-11
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Don't take any more gear than you will need, remember you have to carry it and move about quickly, take your flash if its very sunny, it can be used to fill in the shadows.
Be firm & clear with your instructions, Get the shots of arrivals & signing the register (might need flash here) after the service, start with the biggest group first (everybody) then trim the friends, then relatives, find out tactfully important relatives to get shots with B&G, then B&G with both parents & brides maids and best man, the B&G with one set parents then the other set, possibly again with B/M & BestM. Don't forget the children shots & grandparents., big sellers they are. Then disappear with B&G somewhere quite if possible, and get a good set of B&G together and singly. In between all this get your reportage shots.
There will always be someone that gets very bored with the picture taking and wants to get to the booze. this is the reason for getting friends and relatives photographed first and out of the way. Do them last and you have no chance.

Patrick
Cheers Patrick, very helpful info. The couple are pretty easygoing, we've talked extensively about what they want and know exactly what my abilities are. I'm really looking forward to it all, it's going to be a long day but if I stay calm and in control I know it will all flow nicely. I look forward to posting a few of the results in due course.

Gina
Old 27-05-11
Gina

Just in case someone else might need help, I found this website that has been very helpful.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Wedding101-page1.html
Old 28-05-11
Canon Shooter

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fast Eddie is on a distinguished road

That's an interesting article.
Old 28-05-11
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the wedding but I guess by the time you read this it will be well over. I am looking forward to seeing the outcome. I have also bookmarked the article and will read it soon
Old 28-05-11
Gina

Hey all,

I DID IT

I am just so happy that with all my mobility problems I shot my first wedding successfully. There are over 1000 RAW shots so will be working on culling and workflow over the coming days. I will of course post a few here for you. I was very grateful to you guys for helping me out especially Patrick for your advice which I did follow.

Very tired but extremely happy I pushed the boundaries today and wasn't nervous or complacent about it all, just did what I had to do and cover the day the best I could. Got some smashing shots.

Will be back soon and thank you x

Gina x
Old 29-05-11
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

That's alot of raw's Gina, youv'e got your pp work cut out there!
Old 29-05-11
Gina

This may not be technically perfect but I feel I did a pretty good job for my first time. More to follow in due course.
Old 29-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This may not be technically perfect but I feel I did a pretty good job for my first time. More to follow in due course.
Lovely quality and colouring. I only ever take snaps of people due to my lack of knowledge, but I understand that taking people wearing glasses is not easy, due to the reflections. I think you have done a superb job here Gina. I might be inclined to crop a touch off the right hand side - near to the bride's shoulder, but this is just personal. Roy MOH calls me square and I'm sure he's right. (Can't hang teatowels upside down on a washing line)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 29-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Very pleasant shot Gina and yes a bit cropped of the side as suggested would be good.
Gina didn't you see the Grooms knee in the viewfinder when making the exposure? A fundamental error.

Patrick
Old 29-05-11
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Very pleasant shot Gina and yes a bit cropped of the side as suggested would be good.
Gina didn't you see the Grooms knee in the viewfinder when making the exposure? A fundamental error.

Patrick
Well Patrick, it's a fundamental error I won't be making again that's for sure. I'm not making any excuses except that this was at the end of the [long] day, I was in an awful lot of pain at this point and it was the only sunlight we saw the whole day. If I ever agree to do another wedding, I'll be sure to remember the knee. I will be posting more in due course but feel I did a pretty good job as a first timer x
Old 29-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 667 Times in 446 Posts
Barr1e is on a distinguished road

I look forward to seeing those.

I think you did well with the skin tones and the couple look so relaxed.

Regards. Barr1e