Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 25-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Full Moonlight Hour

Does the Full Moonlight Hour Effect works for you?
Comment on anything you think you should.

Regards

George
Old 25-01-07
Forum veteran

Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk
Re: Full Moonlight Hour

It certainly adds je ne sais quoi to a photo, I would be interested to see the original photo to compare it to, but as it stands I like the way the rock face and building are lit up against the inky black sky and water.

Stu
Old 25-01-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post

Regards

George
Very cool George, lovely effect.
Old 26-01-07
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road

A great image George, love the lighting very effective indeed, how did you create this effect?
Old 26-01-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post

Regards

George
I've studied this image George, to work out why I don't feel it works for me.

I think essentially its not a believable moonlight shot, being to intensley contrasty.

I can't help feeling that the natural colours of the buildings lit by the sun would be more appealing for me. I imagine, whites, blues, maybe pinks & oranges, or is that too Italian Anyway, you have robbed my eye of that pleasure, and yet you are still cheating me when you expect to me to believe its moonlight

I've adjusted the shot a bit, mainly to relieve some of the high contrast shadow areas. I wonder if a more subtle toning would have pleased my eye more.
Attached Thumbnails
In_the_Full_Moonlight_Hour.jpg  

Check out my BLOG too

Old 26-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

I think essentially its not a believable moonlight shot, being to intensley contrasty.

I can't help feeling that the natural colours of the buildings lit by the sun would be more appealing for me. I imagine, whites, blues, maybe pinks & oranges, or is that too Italian Anyway, you have robbed my eye of that pleasure, and yet you are still cheating me when you expect to me to believe its moonlight

I've adjusted the shot a bit, mainly to relieve some of the high contrast shadow areas. I wonder if a more subtle toning would have pleased my eye more.

Naughty boy Stephen!

All my experiments fall in the empty space with you!
Indeed this is not a real Moonlight Shot. I obviously betrayed myself (just kidding) by writing: "Does the Moonlight Effects works for you?"
When I saw this photo on my monitor and the way the lighting was falling, I thought it would really worth to try the Moonlight Effect.

Now about the contrast you mentioned. You need to believe me on that...Under a full moonlight in Greece, lighting is very intense and very contrasty. I have no way of persuading you for that, except to tell you to visit Greece for vacation and if possible during August where the moon has the biggest size and the most lighting. If you ever come, then you will understand what I mean.

I saw your attempt on the shot, but it looks to me that it lost some of the magic of the more intense contrast and the lighting looks like the place is lit up by spot lights and not by natural moonlight light.
Anyway, this was my observation and it is normal to see things different due to weather and lighting differences that exist between Northern and Southern countries.

So here is the original shot as you will not have to trigger your imagination any more, in terms of whites, blues and other colors

Regards

George

Last edited by Archangel; 26-01-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 26-01-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

haha, having seen Georges latest post, its almost like you sneaked a look at the original without him looking Stephen!
Old 26-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
haha, having seen Georges latest post, its almost like you sneaked a look at the original without him looking Stephen!

That is the full meaning of the word "Sneak Preview"
I think in the dictionary under the "Sneak Preview" term is Stephen's photo

Regards

George
Old 26-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinka View Post
A great image George, love the lighting very effective indeed, how did you create this effect?
Tinka,

This was a dayshot as you can see if you roll down the thread and as you already have probably assumed from my initial post or the thread title.
I had to add a series of effects and do some paint brush corrections.
I really don't remember how many and which type of effects I added and in what ratio. They were too many to remember exactly.
Though next time I will do something like this I will keep track of what I did in order to be able to inform other users that are interesting.

Regards

George
Old 26-01-07
joefoto

At one time, the motion picture industry used a deep blue filter with B&W film to simulate night-time shots. Might be another approach to try.

Joe
Old 26-01-07
joefoto

George,

I copied your color shot, removed the blue channel, changed to greyscale and messed with levels a bit. I don't know if this was the general effect you were seeking or not. Apologies if I messed up your shot.

Joe
Old 26-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefoto View Post
George,

I copied your color shot, removed the blue channel, changed to greyscale and messed with levels a bit. I don't know if this was the general effect you were seeking or not. Apologies if I messed up your shot.

Joe

Joe,

I put up these shots with these effects since I'm planning to use them in a photo exhibition under the "Artistic Style" Section. Well actually it is a "Special Effects" section that can include effected treated photos plus artistic style photos. All of us know in the exhibition and here that these photos (well pictures if we need to be precise, because photos are those the camera takes) are not the originals as taken by the camera. They have been manipulated/modified light or heavily to fit a certain effect.

I put up these shots here, because apart from what I like personally, I want to hear other peoples opinions and suggestions and finally adjust the photo to suit a wider range of tastes. So the initial photos posted by me here are by no means the final versions, though the final version will not differ that much from what I post.

This photo has been processed using various filters and effects in order from a day shot to turn into a nightshot. So one individual filter cannot offer the expected nightshot result.

As I mentioned before, I don't mind when people play with my photos and don't need permission by me to do that. The photos are there free for critique and manipulation. Actually it is better for me when someone post-process my photo, than writing me suggestions that could be misunderstood (in terms of dosage of suggested modifications). So for me it is better to see someone else's version of my photo. That can say much more to me of what is inside everyone's mind.

As far as the version you posted I'm actually looking for this:

Dark Black Sky, somewhat Intense Contrast (to match my country's weather and environment and cool color effect.
During full moonlight the color effect of lighting hitting buildings and sea is most of the times on the cool side when no clouds are present in the sky.
Moonlight has the property of having intense lighting on specific light objects like buildings and dark shadows where shadows are created.

So a version of not so contrasty light and lighten shadows won't do the job, at least for here in Greece, where I know how is the environmental lighting at all times per day/night.

So according to these your version needs to have black or dark blue-black sky, cooler color (not just grayscale), a little more intense lighting since it is supposed to be full moon that is has intense lighting and the lighting should light the sea too, that in your version is completely black.

So given these parameters that I want and according to my country's phenomena approach, you can modify further the version you have posted to come closer to these standards, if you are willing to do of course.
I also don't seeing it as someone messing up my shot. I see it as trying to help and offer his view on the specific theme :-)

Regards

George
Old 27-01-07
joefoto

George,

Here's a different attempt. Given the comment about lighting intensity, I left some coloration in the photo. I believe the too contrasty comments from others may have to do with the way in which the rocky area in the right foreground had gone almost white.

I'm not happy with the dome, but do like the sea reflection.

Is this any closer to reality? Or is the moonlight really THAT bright?

Joe
Old 27-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefoto View Post
George,

Here's a different attempt. Given the comment about lighting intensity, I left some coloration in the photo. I believe the too contrasty comments from others may have to do with the way in which the rocky area in the right foreground had gone almost white.

I'm not happy with the dome, but do like the sea reflection.

Is this any closer to reality? Or is the moonlight really THAT bright?

Joe

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the time you spend experimenting with the photo and posting your versions.
Just to give you an indication of how bright is the full moon mostly during the summertime, I will tell you this: I have experimented and driven at night on a countryside road near by the sea on the way to my country house (for about 5 minutes, switched them back on after for others to see clearly me and not cause an accident) with the car's headlights switched off. Maybe it is hard to believe, but it is true.

So seeing your 2nd version I have to say:

The lighting is good, though some things in the shadows like windows on the house are very dark. The color has to be more on the cooler side. I don't know if you practiced with the initial version or the colored one, but it seems to me that you have done some local paint brush job. Some parts on the rock and on the building are brown while the rest are grayed.
I don't know what exactly you did, but I think if any post-processing needs to be done that has to be in the form of applying filters evenly on the photo and not local paint job.

I revised a little my initial version too, making it a little darker and a little less contrasty at least to be more realistic to other people, that this intense full moonlighting seems ackward to them, until they visit Greece!

So here it is the one that will be closer to the final version.
Maybe slight color cast adjustment will be applied, but first need to check other real moonlight shots I have to take the average of the color casts of all.

Thanks again for taking the time to experiment and to comment

Regards

George
Old 27-01-07

cowcrzy06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to cowcrzy06
Thumbs up Re: Full Moonlight Hour

George,
Haunting! I like it!
Jennifer