Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Canon camera discussion

Canon camera discussion This is the place on the DPNow Forum to share your thoughts and experiences regarding Canon gear.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-17
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
Going slightly retro...and buying used kit

Had a mad moment a couple of months back and bought a used Canon 5D Mark ii because I'd always wanted to try full frame. I stuck with Canon (my preferred brand since the 70's) because I have several EF lenses that would fit it but these were all fairly long focal lengths save my "nifty fifty" so I had a look for a suitable (i.e. cheap) standard zoom lens.

I initially bought a Canon 28-135mm which is OKish but the zoom-creep drives me round the bend. You can't take a picture of something below horizontal unless you actually want it taken at 135mm

I had another look on-line and found a Canon 28-80mm Mark i (metal mount) for just under 60 so I thought I'd give it a go. Reviews I read on-line seemed to indicate that the Mark i version of this lens was better than the later versions which, allegedly, got progressively worse and used a plastic lens mount. Initial results look reasonable to me..although I might re-process this particular image and tone the blues down a bit...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-c...posted-public/

My wife has invested in a fair bit of used Olympus kit over the last year or so (from LCE) and after purchasing the 5D and lenses used proved to be a positive experience, I've now decided I'll follow in her footsteps as the money saved is significant.

If you buy from the likes of LCE, MPB or Camera Jungle (Jessops) you might pay slightly more than private sales on eBay but the warranties and return policies give peace of mind. All three of my used purchases came from Camera Jungle who I'd not actually heard of before but all three items were delivered next day and the condition was exactly as described. To be fair to them, I knew the 28-135mm was prone to zoom creep before I bought it. (Guess I should state I'm not affiliated with Camera Jungle in any way!)

Regards,

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate