Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 09-09-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 2 Posts
DennisP is on a distinguished road
Question Whatever has happened to TonyMidd.

Does anyone know the answer to this. The reason I ask is because I have not seen any postings from him for some time and I miss his comments on various discussions and also his pics.
Old 09-09-06
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Whatever has happened to TonyMidd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this. The reason I ask is because I have not seen any postings from him for some time and I miss his comments on various discussions and also his pics.
Hi Dennis, for reasons best known to himself, Tony is now posting elsewhere.

Any forum is bigger than one person and this one is now going from strength to strength having been reborn in its current format. There are also imminent new additions on the way, along with plans for greater content on the main site.

This forum has had many new members in the last week or so and I would encourage them to contribute with their comment, discussion and photographs. They are all very welcome

Check out my BLOG too

Old 10-09-06
What the £*%&

Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Any forum is bigger than one person and this one is now going from strength to strength having been reborn in its current format. There are also imminent new additions on the way, along with plans for greater content on the main site.

This forum has had many new members in the last week or so and I would encourage them to contribute with their comment, discussion and photographs. They are all very welcome
Go on, whos upset him

Andrew.
Old 16-02-07
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
Go on, whos upset him

Andrew.
More to the point........who hadn't upset him at some time or another..?
Old 16-02-07

Paul is on a distinguished road
Arrow Tony Midd was to DPnow...

Quote:
.. what Laurel was to Hardy... it's like horse & cart... bacon & egg... Margaret & Thatcher! Tony Midd and DPnow was one of those two-somes!

Frankly, I was thinking the same thing myself and my curiousity at his absence made me seek his past out. Hence my dredging this thread up.

Quote:
If you want an honest mans opion, there's 'too much' as in too many fora! I used to like the list and you'd just trawl down it cherry picking the threads you thought would be nice.

Now I don't have the energy to enter a strange forum for 'B&W photography' and if I want to talk about a new colour managment software titbit i heard, should I post in the 'colour managment' forum or the 'software solutions' one or maybe the 'general discussion' one as it's just a natter?

As I say, the choice is 1 decision too many!

Quote:

Oh well, that's enough of my moaning!

Last edited by Stephen; 16-02-07 at 09:22 AM. Reason: To correct the quote
Old 16-02-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Tony Midd was to DPnow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
As a personal friend of Tony's I can confirm he is posting to another site these days. I don't feel itís my place to explain his reasons, not that I am fully clear as to why anyway.
He has had health problems as a number of you know; in fact last year he was diagnosed with a heart condition on top of the earlier illnesses. Itís thought at one stage it was 50-50, but would appear now to be under control with medication. There was talk of heart surgery late last year but that is now less likely.

His health is nothing to do with him not continuing to post, he tries not to let his condition interfere with his interests.

Patrick
Old 16-02-07
Forum veteran

DTD is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed reading Tony's posts and am glad to hear his health problems are not stopping him.

I would also agree with the comment about the forum having too many sections. One member advised using the facility to look at 'New Posts' only which I now do. However to be honest, I sometimes suffer 'picture fatigue' and miss looking at a lot of people's photos.

Still, it's a sign of the forum's success.
Old 16-02-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
.. what Laurel was to Hardy... it's like horse & cart... bacon & egg... Margaret & Thatcher! Tony Midd and DPnow was one of those two-somes!

Frankly, I was thinking the same thing myself and my curiousity at his absence made me seek his past out. Hence my dredging this thread up.

If you want an honest mans opion, there's 'too much' as in too many fora! I used to like the list and you'd just trawl down it cherry picking the threads you thought would be nice.

Now I don't have the energy to enter a strange forum for 'B&W photography' and if I want to talk about a new colour managment software titbit i heard, should I post in the 'colour managment' forum or the 'software solutions' one or maybe the 'general discussion' one as it's just a natter?

As I say, the choice is 1 decision too many!

Hi Paul, good to see you here.

I don't want to dwell too much on tonymidd's decision not to post here any more - he's certainly not banned, though I do know why he has stayed away and although he could solve the problem that underlies his stance in a flash, I think his stubborness and pride simply prevents him from doing so. In any case, he's very busy on another forum and probably has less time than before. Differences aside, I'm sure I represent everyone here in wishing and hoping that Tony keeps well.

But the DPNow forum has never been busier and we have nearly 200 regular posters from all corners of the globe and more than 200 other registered members who probably spend most of their time looking at the galleries.

There is a variety of ways of viewing the forum posts and the most recent is 'Realttime' which lists all the most recent posts in chronological order and even updates the list automatically when another message is posted.

I'm always interested in feedback; critical or otherwise, so I can improve the forum experience, so do please let me know what lights your fire here - either privately or openly and I'll see if I can accommodate your wishes!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-02-07
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road
Re: now going OT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
the most recent is 'Realttime' which lists all the most recent posts in chronological order and even updates the list automatically when another message is posted.
now THAT, i like ian! saves a lot of time in seeing what's been updated. quality.
Old 16-02-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilgas View Post
now THAT, i like ian! saves a lot of time in seeing what's been updated. quality.
Glad you like it

There are more customisations to the forum and gallery integration - but it takes time to evaluate and implement them. If you see anything on another similar forum that you think would work well here, drop me a line.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-02-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Glad you like it

There are more customisations to the forum and gallery integration - but it takes time to evaluate and implement them. If you see anything on another similar forum that you think would work well here, drop me a line.

Ian
I understand what some people are saying with there being too many sub forums, however, I think with things like 'new posts' and 'real time' it makes it so easy to view new threads!

Also, its handy to have specifics like the 'Black and White' for viewers to see things specific to their interests.
Old 16-02-07

Paul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Paul, good to see you here. Ian
And I'm happy that you're happy! :-)

Ian Said:
"I'm always interested in feedback; critical or otherwise, so I can improve the forum experience, so do please let me know what lights your fire here - either privately or openly and I'll see if I can accommodate your wishes!"

I like this forum works: You can have it in 'hybrid' mode and look at 'thread view' above and open each message consecutively and WITHOUT each message entailing opening a new page... all that gets updated is the message bit and that's rlly quick and easy!

Yes, the way the fora operate is really good! I'll look into the realtime thing.

Next thing you know I'll be posting my piccies! ;-)
Old 17-02-07
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

I am glad somebody has brought this up as I do miss him too, me and Tony did have our differences of opinions on the old forum and I sincearly hope this is not the reason for him not continuing to post on this new forum, I am sorry to hear about his health and wish him all the best.
Maybe sometime he could make a guest appearence
cheers
Ash.