Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports

Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports If it holds something up or provides support, please talk about it here.

Old 01-01-17
Forum veteran

Liked at 13 Times in 11 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
Camera support when shooting from a bird hide.

Just thought I'd share this method I've recently started using when shooting from hides.

I recently bought a gimbal head to make shooting with my Sigma 150-600m a lot more manageable (one of the best accessories I've ever bought I think). Having recently decided to have a go at bird photography I started frequenting hides at reserves like Abberton reservoir (near Colchester) but found setting up my tripod awkward because the bench seats in the hide got in the way. I could shoot from the corner openings but that meant standing up which I struggle to do sometimes (due to a medical condition).

Every now and then in life you ponder a problem and come up with a possible solution, only to find it already exists

In my case it's the Manfrotto 349 column clamp. This allows me to clamp my tripod's centre column, complete with gimbal head, to the drop-down flaps in the hide. The flaps are normally heavy duty and well-supported so no issues with weight once the camera and lens are fitted.

The result is a comfortable shooting position The whole assembly can be adjusted up or down to get the camera's eyepiece in the right position.

The picture below I took on my phone so the quality is not brilliant but it shows the clamp in-situ (plus a wind-swept 'er indoors on target spotting duty!)

I got mine from Amazon but I'm in no way affiliated to them! I believe there are two sizes of clamp so you have to make sure your centre column will fit. Fairly straightforward for me as my tripod is a Manfrotto anyway. It has a rounded triangular shaped centre column but the clamp works fine with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess this is when I find out others have been doing it for years

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 01-01-17

Liked at 124 Times in 87 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road
Re: Camera support when shooting from a bird hide.

I have tried a shelf clamp but found that there was a lot of transmitted vibration from other users resting their elbows on the shelf when using bins.. I now tend to use a monopod
Old 02-01-17

Liked at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Garry is on a distinguished road

Looks a handy item, Stuart. But in the hides here. There would be vibration from other users, like mikej said.
The hides at our local wetlands vibrate badly when anyone puts a foot in the door.
Old 02-01-17
Forum veteran

Liked at 13 Times in 11 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Fair point about vibration although I've not found it to be a problem yet. The hides are Abberton don't seem to get that busy, especially during the week when I tend to go.

I've yet to try it elsewhere but will probably try at the local Fingringhoe reserve next.

I'll probably try a monopod as well but the main advantage of the clamp is you can let go of the camera an it stays put! Do you use a head on the monopod?

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
The Following User likes this post by StuartR:
Garry (02-01-17)
Old 02-01-17

Liked at 124 Times in 87 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road

I think that the best solution depends on the design of the hide. Your solution seems good for the window hatch design in your hide. Most that I see have upward opening hatches with a single shelf running along below the window.

I use a small ballhead on the monopod, I have tried a pistol grip, easier to use but clumsy to carry as I expect the monopod to double as a walking pole.