Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 29-07-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Lightroom 2 released

For anyone who uses Lightroom but missed todays announcement http://dpnow.com/5029.html Version 2 has been released and is available for download. I placed my order for the upgrade this morning and am having the disc shipped. In the meantime I downloaded the files and am using it as a trial version until my copy arrives hopefully at the weekend. Its going to take me a while to get used to some of the new stuff and work out how to use it. I'll keep you informed of any revelations I find

Check out my BLOG too

Old 29-07-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 2 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
For anyone who uses Lightroom but missed todays announcement http://dpnow.com/5029.html Version 2 has been released and is available for download. I placed my order for the upgrade this morning and am having the disc shipped. In the meantime I downloaded the files and am using it as a trial version until my copy arrives hopefully at the weekend. Its going to take me a while to get used to some of the new stuff and work out how to use it. I'll keep you informed of any revelations I find
Just downloaded it myself Stephen, look forward to your comments.

Patrick
Old 30-07-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Lightroom 2 released

Looks good to me! I was so relieved that after using the beta since it was released, LR2 installed immediately, converted the beta catalogue with no problems, and didn't touch either the LR1.x or the Lr2 beta catalogues.
The immediate improvement that hit my eyes was the new HD/folder layout in the library mode. It evens reports disk capacity and usage, and will make moving folders or pictures much more intuitive.
As I am naturally lazy smart collections will be used a lot, and there is even an automatic one for people like me - 'Untagged Images' - select that collection and it reminds you of what tagging you have forgotten to do!
I am a long time Photoshop user, (but much less need from now on I think!) and now LR2 doesn't make you wait whilst it generates a tiff for the 'Edit in CS3' action, it opens the nef or whatever directly in CS. Much quicker. It will also send a selected set of adjusted pictures directly to Photomerge if you are into panos.
Lots of people are going to be using the graduated filter during the develop step, and
the multi-page print layout facility will suit some pros I think.
Already removed LR1.4, and I don't think that the beta will be far behind.

Roger
Old 30-07-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post
Looks good to me! I was so relieved that after using the beta since it was released, LR2 installed immediately, converted the beta catalogue with no problems, and didn't touch either the LR1.x or the Lr2 beta catalogues.
The immediate improvement that hit my eyes was the new HD/folder layout in the library mode. It evens reports disk capacity and usage, and will make moving folders or pictures much more intuitive.
As I am naturally lazy smart collections will be used a lot, and there is even an automatic one for people like me - 'Untagged Images' - select that collection and it reminds you of what tagging you have forgotten to do!
I am a long time Photoshop user, (but much less need from now on I think!) and now LR2 doesn't make you wait whilst it generates a tiff for the 'Edit in CS3' action, it opens the nef or whatever directly in CS. Much quicker. It will also send a selected set of adjusted pictures directly to Photomerge if you are into panos.
Lots of people are going to be using the graduated filter during the develop step, and
the multi-page print layout facility will suit some pros I think.
Already removed LR1.4, and I don't think that the beta will be far behind.

Roger
Yes indeed, though I must say that when I installed LR2 it found and converted my existing LR catalogue. So all the existing customisations, Presets, Library, Keywords etc have been transferred to the new version. The program completely overwrote the Beta veersion I had installed, and when I tried LR 1.4, although it installed it would not find the thumbnails for my Library catalogue. I suppose these had all been converted to the latest version. There seems little point in keeping V1.4 now so it'll have to go.

Still playing with the new tools in the Develop module, I never really bothered on the Beta version, so much of this is totally new to me. The Grauated filter does look good as does the adjustment brush, I can see me using this a lot. Not explored the other modules yet for new stuff

Check out my BLOG too

Old 31-07-08
Seriously addicted

Just been reading Scott Kelbys Blog where he talks about the improvements to LR in V2 and compares what they have done to his Wishlist. Well of course they didn't give everything in the Wishlist but he is very pleased overall with what they have done. He reckons the new Brush tool is worth the upgrade cost alone OK Scott but remember you have the benefit of paying only $99 whilst I have paid a total of 87

Check out my BLOG too

Old 31-07-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
........................ I'll keep you informed of any revelations I find
I've been using LR2 a bit today and I have to agree with the boys from NAPP regarding the Adjustment brush. It must surely be the BIGGEST new tool in this version. Its absolutely brilliant, and it seems to me you can't even do some of this stuff in CS3. To selectively and in a Smart sort of way, be able to apply or reduce sharpening, contrast, exposure, clarity, brightness is just brilliant and definitely a revelation to me

Check out my BLOG too