Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 13-01-12

Liked at 133 Times in 95 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 4 Beta

I have tried this a bit more and it does seem to correct my raw DNG pictures.

Here is the direct link to the raw DNG if you want to try it on my file, 10MB download so be warned!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46890278/For...d/L1077408.DNG
Old 13-01-12
Admin

Liked at 245 Times in 193 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

I think Roger is on the right track. Mike's image looks like it has been previously adjusted in Lightroom because LR4 flags a warning that the process is different from 'before'. But I don't see any differences in colour as a result of using any of the sharpening presets. I did notice that on import the preview icon was cooler at the start. It became warmer once it appeared in the Library after import. But this happened in LR3.6 too.

Mike - is this DNG from the camera or saved from LR after previous adjustments?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 13-01-12

Ian,

You may be onto something there. The file is the original DNG not a Lightroom export so I assumed it was ex-camera but I don't know where or how how Lighroom records its edits and it had, like nearly all my files, been into LR3.n

I will try again with a ' Leica virgin' (pun) DNG straight from the camera.
Old 15-01-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

Still investigating LR4 and learning my way around it. It is definitely slower than LR3 in response to the sliders, and even more so in changing modules. for example Library to Develop. The slowness is more evident when I am using two monitors and improves when I turn the second monitor off.
The soft proofing is very well done even if not very intuitive, and produces well matching prints from my machine.
I am still struggling a little with the book module, mainly in getting a good fit of the image to the chosen page layout, and if I wanted to make a book now I would do it using the Blurb software.
Just for interest. I call the attached image Mrs OOG because nearly all of the colours in it are out of gamut, either for the monitor or the printer.

Roger
Old 15-01-12

Yes, I agree that LR4 is slower. This may partly because I accepted the option to track usage, I may disable this to see whether it has any effect. It has crashed on me twice.

It does look as though the sharpening preset is triggering changes that I made in LR3 so I was wrong in thinking that the preset itself was doing it. Ex camera DNG that hasn't previously been opened in LR3 doesn't show the same effect. It does seem that the colour rendering from DNG conversion is better on LR4 though, at least for my camera, and I like the changes and simplification of exposure/contrast/brightness etc.

I had a quick look at 'Book' but can't see that I will ever use it. 'Map' also seems fairly unnecessary.
Old 15-01-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
Yes, I agree that LR4 is slower. This may partly because I accepted the option to track usage, I may disable this to see whether it has any effect. It has crashed on me twice.

It does look as though the sharpening preset is triggering changes that I made in LR3 so I was wrong in thinking that the preset itself was doing it. Ex camera DNG that hasn't previously been opened in LR3 doesn't show the same effect. It does seem that the colour rendering from DNG conversion is better on LR4 though, at least for my camera, and I like the changes and simplification of exposure/contrast/brightness etc.

I had a quick look at 'Book' but can't see that I will ever use it. 'Map' also seems fairly unnecessary.

Hi

I have been looking at LR 4. Betta for about a week now and my experience Is quite different to yours. It runs very much faster than LR 3 on my machine.
Whether this is because I have not imported my entire library I am not sure.

The map feature I suppose has been included because Aperture and perhaps other software now has This feature.
As to the book modul I can't see the point as Blurb gives similar software free for publishing your books.

The other changes might be easier to use, but are relatively minor.

Patrick
Old 29-01-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi

I have been looking at LR 4. Betta for about a week now and my experience Is quite different to yours. It runs very much faster than LR 3 on my machine.
Whether this is because I have not imported my entire library I am not sure.

The map feature I suppose has been included because Aperture and perhaps other software now has This feature.
As to the book modul I can't see the point as Blurb gives similar software free for publishing your books.

The other changes might be easier to use, but are relatively minor.

Patrick
I have now used LT4 beta extensively this past week, and can confirm on my iMac it runs very much quicker both loading and adjusting images. The controls being very smooth. Perhaps the beta is better tuned to Lion than Win 7, if this be the case it will I am sure be sorted for the retail version.
Things I have noticed is the heavy use of RAM compared with LT3, there must be some memory leakage somewhere. I have 8 gig of RAM and it uses rather a lot of the available amount, running it quit low at times.
The other problem I have experienced is opening a file from LT4 into CS4 there is a big shift in the brightness of an image and colour, that does not show when using LT3.

I am engaged at present in a project that is finding the map feature rather useful, so that's a plus.

All things considered with the proviso the memory leakage and colour/ brightness issue is fixed I believe I will upgrade on release of the retail version.

Patrick