Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 07-09-08
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ctaranto is on a distinguished road
Bug with "Export"?

I figured out how to create a Photoshop action, make it a droplet (which creates an exe), and reference it via Lightroom. Now I can Export in Lightroom, run a "noiseninja.exe" droplet (needed to make it "run as administrator" in Vista to avoid crashing), and have a .psd auto-imported into Lightroom's catalog. Works pretty well (and fast).

I end up with two versions of the same image - one the original .dng, the other a .psd. Which I understand the reasoning for.

Here is what I don't understand:

When I use Export, the .psd is named the same as the .dng file (CRW_2593.dng is imported as CRW_2593.psd for example). If I then go ahead and "Delete from Disk" the CRW_2593.psd file, both the .psd AND.dng files get deleted! These files are not stacked, one only was selected, etc. This doesn't seem right (as I lose the .dng file by deleting the newly generated .psd).

Here's something a bit interesting. If I go ahead and "Edit in" the .dng file (after restoring it from a backup), and use the same droplet (set up via Preferences/External Editing), I will also get a .psd automatically added to the Lightroom catalog, though it's name is a little different (CRW_2495-Edit.psd in this example). I'm presented with a dialog box before conversion which forces me to "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". If I go ahead and "Delete from Disk" the CRW_2493-Edit.psd, the original .dng stays! I assume that the "Edit a Copy..." above makes it this way.

Is there a way to make the "Export" function behave the same (with regards to the "Delete from Disk" feature) as the "Edit in" function? I've been through the screens for Droplet and Export a dozen times and don't see any setting that refers to the .dng and .psd being linked.

Here's the setup for doing the above:
In Photoshop CS3:
I created a simple action. Run Noise Ninja with default profile, then Save the image. I created a custom preset called "tmp", and saved the action, named "noise ninja2"

I created a droplet, saved it in cusers\craig\appdata\roaming\adobe\lightroom\exp ort actions\noiseninja.exe

I then change the properties of noiseninja to "Run as Administrator" to avoid a Photoshop APPCRASH (Vista related).

Play Set: tmp
Action: noise ninja2
all 4 checkboxes in "play" unchecked
Destination: None

In Lightroom 2:
Edit/Preferences
External Editing
Aditional External Editor
Application: cusers\craig\appdata\roaming\adobe\lightroom\exp ort actions\noiseninja.exe
File Format: PSD
Color Space: ProPhoto RGB
Bit Depth: 16
Resolution: 300
Save external editor as "NoiseNinja"
(This is used for "Edit In")

File/Export
Created a "User Preset" called "Noise Ninja"
Export to: Same folder as original Photo
Uncheck Put in Subfolder
Check "Add to this catalog"
Uncheck "Stack with Original"
Existing files: Ask what to do
File Naming Template: Filename
File Settings
Format: PSD
Color Space: ProPhoto RGB
Bit Depth: 16 bits
Image Resizing
Unchecked Resize to fit
Resolution: 300
Metadata:
Unchecked all 3 options
Post-Processing:
After Export: noiseninja
(This is used for Export)

Thanks,

-Craig
Old 07-09-08
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug with "Export"?

I'm afraid you lost me when you mentioned droplets, Noiseninja and Vista

Check out my BLOG too

Old 07-09-08
Forum newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm afraid you lost me when you mentioned droplets, Noiseninja and Vista :
Droplet is a feature within Photoshop CS3 that allows you to make an .exe out of an action. You can drop images on the .exe (droplet), and the actions will be run on the image. It can also be called from Lightroom directly.

Noise Ninja is noise-reducing software. It's very popular.

Vista is the XP downgrade from MSFT.

-Craig
Old 08-09-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
Droplet is a feature within Photoshop CS3 that allows you to make an .exe out of an action. You can drop images on the .exe (droplet), and the actions will be run on the image. It can also be called from Lightroom directly.

Noise Ninja is noise-reducing software. It's very popular.

Vista is the XP downgrade from MSFT.

-Craig
I'm not sure about the advantage of a .exe instead of using the Action, though I'm sure there may be one However as I use a Mac the .exe file would not be useable. Perhaps you could explain more about Droplets. Will a Mac version of CS3 create a .dmg file

Lightroom 2 has noise reduction functions built in and although they are maybe not as sophisitcated as a dedicated program I have never found, as a Canon dSLR user, a need for anything more than what LR can do

As for Vista, I'm pretty sure I have no need for that and in many respects Mac OS X is superior.

May I suggest if you want an answer to your initial question you try the Lightroom Forums at Adobe or HERE

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-09-08
Forum newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm not sure about the advantage of a .exe instead of using the Action, though I'm sure there may be one However as I use a Mac the .exe file would not be useable. Perhaps you could explain more about Droplets. Will a Mac version of CS3 create a .dmg file

Lightroom 2 has noise reduction functions built in and although they are maybe not as sophisitcated as a dedicated program I have never found, as a Canon dSLR user, a need for anything more than what LR can do

As for Vista, I'm pretty sure I have no need for that and in many respects Mac OS X is superior.

May I suggest if you want an answer to your initial question you try the Lightroom Forums at Adobe or HERE
An .exe is required because "Export" requires it for Post Processing. I don't know what Mac's run, but whatever it is, I'm sure CS3 for Mac will generate it.

Lightroom 2's noise reduction is relatively poor compared to the dedicated noise reduction tools like Noise Ninja. Also a Canon dSLR user (40d), anything at ISO 1600/3200 needs some noise reduction, and NN does a superb job.

As for Vista vs OSX, the superiority complex comment like you made, and suggestion I go elsewhere. This is the first "photography" forum where I didn't feel welcome. With so many other useful forums to use, this will be my last post/visit. Steve, congrats. You win. But DPnow loses.

-Craig
Old 08-09-08
Seriously addicted

Craig, you must do what you feel best. However, when with your first post you come on here asking for help, on a quite advanced aspect of using Lightroom and CS3 and expect members to decipher what it is you are asking and then offer their time and effort.......... well you are clearly in the wrong place. We don't know you, you have not introduced yourself, and apparently you have not gained a feel for the style and etiquette found here.

I made it clear in my initial response that you had lost me, and as no one else has responded, I can only assume that none of the other LR users here had any idea either. Your next response was also somewhat confusing and assumed we all knew what you were on about. I then explained why I for one was struggling, and although maybe in a somewhat flippant way tried to help by suggesting where you might look for help. Places which frankly I'm surprised you had not already asked for help at.

DPNow is generally a friendly photo community forum, and is different to the more dedicated sites such as I suggested. This is a place where we are used to people giving as well as taking, and usually before jumping in with requests for advanced help, it is a good idea to have looked around for a time to get a feel for the nature of the place.

Check out my BLOG too