Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: Printing from Lightroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have been following the exchange between you and Roger, so would you forgive me for interupting this descussion.

First, I suggest you recalibrate your screen again but this time give it a new name when asked. I simply call mine Monitor and the date it was made for example my current monitor profile is "Monitor 05-05-08"

Roger told you how to get to your profiles but all the screen grabs do not appear to be that window. I attach the profile window of my Laptop with the printer profiles highlighted (the laptop uses an all in one Epson RX585 for office use no custom profiles here) you may notice in this window profiles have a multi coloured triangle as their symbol. The printer profiles if present should be made active, by right clicking on the profile and selecting "Install Profile" They will then appear on your list of profile options in Lightroom when you select Other. Screen grab attached

Also there is a screen grab of Lightroom printer settings, and a setting for the printer hope these could be helpful.

I have included a screen grab of color setting I use in CS3

I underline again don't use "manage by printer" in Lightroom use "other" and select your profile.

Patrick
Thanks for that information Patrick. I think I will recalibrate and rename my monitor, but it wont be today!

It was very interesting to see your settings. On the second screengrab, I see you have ICM checked. I have never checked that box, basically because I didn't know what it did! I do check "No colour adjustments" though!

I have found the same page as you did, but there don't seem to be any Epson profiles. Once again a screengrab. Can you see any?

I am beginning to wonder how my printer prints at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Spool,-driver,-color,-Patrick.jpg  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Patrick I see from your Light Room Screen grab that you have Epson Premium Glossy down as the Color Management Profile.

All the highlighted objects are names of papers. I don't have any papers profiled for this computer or monitor.

I'm not now sure what I was supposed to be looking for.

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Patrick I see from your Light Room Screen grab that you have Epson Premium Glossy down as the Color Management Profile.

All the highlighted objects are names of papers. I don't have any papers profiled for this computer or monitor.

I'm not now sure what I was supposed to be looking for.:
Hi Audrey

Send me your email address, I have downloaded the profiles from Epson. I will email them to you with instructions on how to put them in your system.

Patrick
Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

As I don't appear to have any profiles associated with Epson for printer or paper, does that mean that there is nothing in my list that I could add under "Printer Profile" in the print menu?

I can't believe I am the only person printing with an Epson 1290 and Vista Home Edition that needs to input something into this slot.

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
As I don't appear to have any profiles associated with Epson for printer or paper, does that mean that there is nothing in my list that I could add under "Printer Profile" in the print menu?

I can't believe I am the only person printing with an Epson 1290 and Vista Home Edition that needs to input something into this slot.:
Yes I have come across this before, its easily dealt with the profiles once you have them can simply be dragged & dropped, or copied to the correct location to work properly. Here is the link and ICC profiles for your printer, they are at the bottom of the page just download them to your computer into say My Documents, then find your profiles folder Roger gave you the path and drag them to this folder, job done, to show them in Lightroom right click and select install profile.

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...meccU003D&tc=6

Patrick
Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Are these they? If so which one should I select?

Oh heck! No need to tell me. I have just looked into Light Room and there they all are with the meaning after them. I do have the Epson Premium Glossy, so am I right in thinking that that is the code I insert into Light Room and into Photoshop Printer profile?
Attached Thumbnails
1290-Profiles-for-Patrick.jpg  

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

I must have missed something, because in Light Room, under Profile: Managed by Printer, I clicked the arrow and "Other" appeared. I clicked on other and my newly installed Profiles appeared in the "Choose Profiles" box. I clicked on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper (because I have some). Clicked OK and the Profile went straight back to "Manage by Printer."

I clicked the arrow and "Other" appeared ... ... ... ad infinitum.

(It reminds me of the song "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa!"

Gad I'm getting too old for this game.

Tell me Roger, Patrick anybody, what have I done wrong now?
Attached Thumbnails
LR-print-profiles-showing-ICC-profiles.jpg  

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
I must have missed something, because in Light Room, under Profile: Managed by Printer, I clicked the arrow and "Other" appeared. I clicked on other and my newly installed Profiles appeared in the "Choose Profiles" box. I clicked on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper (because I have some). Clicked OK and the Profile went straight back to "Manage by Printer."

I clicked the arrow and "Other" appeared ... ... ... ad infinitum.

(It reminds me of the song "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa!"

Gad I'm getting too old for this game.

Tell me Roger, Patrick anybody, what have I done wrong now?
Not sure what you are doing

So lets go through it again.

Select other, in the resulting box tick your selection (you can tick as many as you like this simply puts them in Lighroom as an option) click OK.
Now a profile should show rather than manage by printer as in my Screen grab posted earlier, if it doesn't open it again and as well as "Manage by printer" and "Other" options the profiles you ticked in your box should now be showing here as well, select the one you want and that should be it.

Patrick
Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

I know what I was doing wrong.

I was highlighting the item and clicking OK, but the box was NOT checked.

Anyway I have now put all but two of the profiles in and of course I can have my choice depending upon which paper I am using.

I have just run the same print through LR as I did through CS3 a little earlier. Both are a bit on the pink side - darker than on screen.

They both look the same to me.

I am thinking about what Roger said. Although my screen looks superb, am I right in thinking that if I lower the brightness, and then get the picture looking right, it should print lighter?

Old 29-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
I know what I was doing wrong.

I was highlighting the item and clicking OK, but the box was NOT checked.

Anyway I have now put all but two of the profiles in and of course I can have my choice depending upon which paper I am using.

I have just run the same print through LR as I did through CS3 a little earlier. Both are a bit on the pink side - darker than on screen.

They both look the same to me.

I am thinking about what Roger said. Although my screen looks superb, am I right in thinking that if I lower the brightness, and then get the picture looking right, it should print lighter?
Almost there then

Patrick
Old 30-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

It looks as though you are almost there Audrey, but you should confirm that your Spyder profile is being applied.

When you go to Colorcpl > Devices in the Device window at the top you should see 'Generic Non-Pnp Monitor' followed by your graphics card details, and in this window you should be able to scroll and see your printer profile if you have installed one.

The 'Use my settings for this device' should be selected.

In the main window below, under 'ICC Profiles' you should be seeing the Spyder profile. Click on this profile, and then click the 'Set as default profile' box.

The screen brightness is very probably the reason that your prints are darker than on screen. When you use the profiler is there an option to adjust the brightness?

Roger
Old 30-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

Me again I'm afraid! I don't want to be boring but thought a few figures on the subject of LCD brightness might be helpful if you have the facility to adjust it.

The brightness of an LCD monitor is set by the backlight, and as the contrast ratio is used as a selling point most LCD monitors are too bright for graphics workers because the main market is for multi-media purposes, usually used amongst brighter ambient lighting. If you do have the facility with a Spyder to set the backlight brightness a good figure to aim for is around 100 cd/m. Un-adjusted, some LCD monitors will be in excess of 400 cd/m which can be uncomfortably bright in subdued ambient lighting. LaCie and Dell can have have very high brightness levels, but they also make it possible to adjust it to more useful levels for photographers.

Quite a useful method of trying different brightness settings without actually adjusting them is to work on a couple of pictures which have printed darker than expected, but in a much darker ambient lighting.

As a matter of interest only, I have reduced my Samtrom monitor brightness outside of the profiling process by using the external screen adjustments, and it is currently at 30%. AT 60% a blank white page is uncomfortable to look at!

Roger
Old 30-08-08
Forum veteran

See screen grab to see if they are OK please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post

The screen brightness is very probably the reason that your prints are darker than on screen. When you use the profiler is there an option to adjust the brightness?

Roger
Yes, there is although Spyder recommend that it is left as it is for an LCD screen.

I did lower it, but the result on screen did not look good at all.

I am not sure whether it is too saturated or too dark.

Anyhow I have done a few prints and I keep altering the brightness.

Overall the colour is as near as I can get it I think, bearing in mind that I am using third party inks and paper.

I used 3 different types of paper including Epson Premium Glossy and I couldn't tell the difference between that and 7day shop Glossy 270 GSM paper.

I will use my best stuff for competitions.
Attached Thumbnails
Roger---settings-300808.jpg  

Old 30-08-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post
Me again I'm afraid! I don't want to be boring but thought a few figures on the subject of LCD brightness might be helpful if you have the facility to adjust it.

The brightness of an LCD monitor is set by the backlight, and as the contrast ratio is used as a selling point most LCD monitors are too bright for graphics workers because the main market is for multi-media purposes, usually used amongst brighter ambient lighting. If you do have the facility with a Spyder to set the backlight brightness a good figure to aim for is around 100 cd/m. Un-adjusted, some LCD monitors will be in excess of 400 cd/m which can be uncomfortably bright in subdued ambient lighting. LaCie and Dell can have have very high brightness levels, but they also make it possible to adjust it to more useful levels for photographers.

Quite a useful method of trying different brightness settings without actually adjusting them is to work on a couple of pictures which have printed darker than expected, but in a much darker ambient lighting.

As a matter of interest only, I have reduced my Samtrom monitor brightness outside of the profiling process by using the external screen adjustments, and it is currently at 30%. AT 60% a blank white page is uncomfortable to look at!

Roger
Please don't be afraid. I am so grateful to both you and Patrick for spending so much time on me.

I was just going to print this information, because I will follow it, but not today, (it's our youngest grandson's 4th birthday and party) and guess what, my printer needs a new cartridge!

I appear to have quite a few options within Spyder 2, so I will study your information and try it again.

Thanks again.

Audrey

Old 30-08-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Please don't be afraid. I am so grateful to both you and Patrick for spending so much time on me.

I was just going to print this information, because I will follow it, but not today, (it's our youngest grandson's 4th birthday and party) and guess what, my printer needs a new cartridge!

I appear to have quite a few options within Spyder 2, so I will study your information and try it again.

Thanks again.

Audrey
Another simple way of checking if you are using the correct screen profile is given you with the Syder software Its put as a short cut by default when Spyder software is installed . "Profile Chooser" open that and it shows the profile that is being used, some people have a couple or more for different purposes, for example a differant profile is often used for projection and can be selected from here.
However Rogers method make the profile you want the default, Chooser is more the the temporary selection of a profile.

Patrick