Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Lens view

Lens view The DPNow.com board for talking about lenses - big, small, long, and short.

Old 10-01-16
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Legacy Lenses

With the arrival of the new Olympus 300mm f/4.0 PRO, it got me wondering just what I could get from some old glass...

It was raining, so I was inside, behind dirty double glassing, a tree is half way between me and the cormorant tree, the light is very poor... Also try to keep in mind that this is an old lens and this is a about a 75% crop from the original image, reduced down to web size...

What a difference a day makes:

As it wasn't raining the window cleaner came today...

Roughly the same distance, but nothing in the way this time. The purple CA is still very evident when the ORF is viewed at 100%, but with a quick pass through DxO Optics Pro (not that there's a profile for the lens) to "clean up" the contrast, etc.. Good light makes all the difference, but the limitations really do show that it's no match for the high quality lenses that are currently available.

Barr1e (10-01-16)
The Following User likes this post by Graham_of_Rainham:
Barr1e (10-01-16)