Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 13-12-10
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road
Android

I am getting my new 'Android' on Wednesday! A Samsung Galaxy S!! Looks like I'll need a week or two to get to know it! Introductions are difficult aren't they!
Old 13-12-10
Admin

Liked at 193 Times in 156 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
I am getting my new 'Android' on Wednesday! A Samsung Galaxy S!! Looks like I'll need a week or two to get to know it! Introductions are difficult aren't they!
Is this your first smartphone, Jocelyn? What's your current phone? I have been using an HTC Desire Android smartphone for six months and I think I'm still learning too! The Desire and Galaxy S are very similar in specification, although the Galaxy has a bigger screen (although the same pixel resolution).

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 13-12-10
Forum veteran

Yes Ian, my first smart phone! If you are still learning to use yours after 6 months, I can imagine it will take me a lot longer! Had Sony Ericsson before & decided Samsung was more suitable for me after tossing up between that, the HTC Desire & Nokia N8!
Old 13-12-10
Admin

Liked at 193 Times in 156 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
Yes Ian, my first smart phone! If you are still learning to use yours after 6 months, I can imagine it will take me a lot longer! Had Sony Ericsson before & decided Samsung was more suitable for me after tossing up between that, the HTC Desire & Nokia N8!
Being a Desire owner (!) - I think the Desire is still the best (haha! surprising that!) but the Galaxy does have one big advantage - 16GB of built in memory, while the Desire only has 2GB and precious little of that is reserved for the system. On the other hand, I have an 8GB microSDHC card in it and haven't got anywhere near filling it so far. Reviews suggest the Samsung hardware is nice, with an excellent screen, although it is quite big.

I can recommend some good apps to download and I have now configured mine to network with my laptop for on the go internet access (for the laptop).

I can also recommend a great forum for keeping up to date with Android issues for your specific phone: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/ although it can be a bit technical at times...

The Sony Ericsson Experia X10 was a bit of a disappointment when it first came out, so I think you did better with the Samsung.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 14-12-10
Forum veteran

Thank you Ian, recommendations of any kind very welcome! I had a look at the link you gave here & bookmarked it! It seems that quite a few people had problems after downloading FROYO! Ugghhhh! I will get horribly stuck methinks! Oh well...we shall see!
Old 15-12-10
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road

I have an Android - the Galaxy Portal - because I believed all the hype about how open source is better than Apple's walled-garden, and about how Android would support Flash.

The truth is that Samsung would rather ignore old models and just try and sell the newer ones. There are lots of owners of older models that won't be able to upgrade to the newer versions of Android because Samsung can't be bothered. That means no Flash, or any of the other promised stuff.

Wish I hadn't bothered with Android now. Being abandoned by Samsung is no different than being abandoned by Apple or being abandoned by MS.