Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Digital photography problem solving centre

Digital photography problem solving centre Got a problem that needs solving? Camera, lens, software, computer, accessory, technique, etc. Post it here and we'll do our best to find an answer for you! As long as it is related to photography some how, we're interested!

Old 13-03-14

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road
Spotty

Getting a spot, upper right quadrant, no matter which lens I use. Indicates to me the problem is on the mirror or somewhere else inside camera. Have cleaned the mirror and everything else I can find but nothing working. Any ideas anyone? D90.

Old 13-03-14
Ancient Geek

Liked at 82 Times in 71 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Spotty

It looks like a sensor spot. Have you cleaned the sensor?

Pol
The Following User likes this post by Pol:
Barr1e (13-03-14)
Old 14-03-14

Thanks Pol, is that the top bit or the bottom bit as I look at the inside after taking the lens off?

(embarrassment smiley here!)
Old 14-03-14
Admin

Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

If you take a shot using a very small aperture (like f/22) if the spot is dust or dirt on the sensor then you will see that it will be more defined.

The surface in question is behind the mirror (I believe you have a Nikon D90?) so you will need to put the camera in sensor cleaning mode which will lift the mirror up to provide access. It's not actually the surface of the sensor itself as there is a stack of filters in front of the actual sensor. You do need to be careful and it's best to use a sensor cleaning kit that his the correct tools and solutions.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Pol (14-03-14)
Old 14-03-14
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull1875 View Post
Thanks Pol, is that the top bit or the bottom bit as I look at the inside after taking the lens off?

(embarrassment smiley here!)
There's no need to feel embarrassed! I only ever used and cleaned Pentax camera sensors and haven't done it for ages as my camera has a sensor cleaning function built into it - but here's the gist of it speaking from memory.

The sensor isn't visible until you've locked up the mirror and the 'mirror lock' function is usually on the menu iirc. You'd need to be in a 'clean environment (no fans running to blow dust around the place) - remove the lens and hold the camera facing downwards slightly (to reduce the chance of more dust etc getting into the chamber. The sensor is at the back of the chamber - the back wall of the chamber.

You can then go ahead a wet clean the sensor with sensor cleaning fluid and sensor pads (available from reputable online sources or reputable retail outlets).

What you're actually wiping and cleaning is the High Pass Filter which is in front of the sensor.

Look up the procedure first - one wipe in each direction - each wipe with a CLEAN side of the sensor pad. Not a 'polishing' action - just one wipe in one direction per clean side of a sensor pad)

Look it up, read about it first. Maybe there'll also be a youtube demo - dunno.

It's not difficult but it must be done carefully. You're no likely to damage the camera, you might just make the smears and spotting worse unless and until you do it carefully and properly.

Don't be scared of it, Bull - just look it up, find out how to lock up the mirror, take your time over it and you'll be fine. Any other helpful suggestions or links welcome from other too please.

Hope that helps.

Pol
Old 14-03-14
Ancient Geek

Smile Update ...

Bull,

I've just been googling and I think you might find your camera has an inbuilt sensor cleaning function.

Have a look at this link

I think you could probably do it automatically if you go to ...

Setup menu > Clean image sensor > Clean Now

Pol
Old 14-03-14

Thanks Pol and Ian. Tried the automatic cleaning as suggested but no joy so tried the sensor cleaning liquid as I have a cleaning set. Made it worse as you say Pol. :-)
I will try again, if not then I will take it into Glasgow. Place there is the Nikon repair centre and they do same day sensor cleaning.