Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Fujifilm X-Series discussion

Fujifilm X-Series discussion Your place on the DPNow forum to discuss Fujifilm X-series cameras.

Old 25-02-15
Pixel scutcher

Liked at 52 Times in 32 Posts
StephenL is on a distinguished road
Why I changed to Fuji

In light of recent publicity given to a certain online reviewer, I thought it might be interesting to put down my thoughts as to why I changed from my much-loved Olympus m4/3 cameras to the Fuji X system, particularly the X-T1.

I'd like to start by saying that I've not read Huff's essay, just the comments arising from it on the various forums. Even when I owned an Olympus, I felt that his opinions weren't worth considering.

Most digital cameras of this calibre are more than capable of giving excellent results it's really down to personal preference and brand loyalty.

My experience with the Fuji X-T1 seems to be at odds with what others are saying.

Firstly, build quality. I handled the Fuji alongside my E-M1 before purchase, and believe me, I wouldn't have bought it had it been any less well-built. My particular camera is almost a year old I bought it used and shows no signs of rubber peeling or any of the other defects which cameras like the Olympus E-1 suffered from. It is solid, and all dials are firm yet easy to turn.

Next, image quality. Now, I don't pixel-peep, and don't care if any invisible sharpening is done in-camera. I have most settings turned down to zero or minus, and I can get the results I want from Lightroom. I have to handle the files differently, but it's a different camera. Capture One can give better results in skilled hands, but I've yet to master its interface. I don't suffer from blotchy greens, and as I don't take pictures of people, I don't notice any skin problems.

So, image quality for my purposes is on a par with the E-M5 and slightly ahead of the E-M1. Yes, I've got that the right way round. In hindsight I preferred my original E-M5 to my subsequent E-M1. For undefinable reasons I just did.

But the greatest draw to to X-T1 is in its controls. My brain has deteriorated to the state that I can no longer remember what function I have assigned to which Fn button. I need to look down at the camera in my hands and be able to see at a glance how to change the shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, drive mode, metering mode, self-timer and bracketing, and have separate, marked, controls for AE lock and AF lock. Those things are important to me.

Would I buy another Olympus? Yes, in a heartbeat. If the controls were more analogue and intuitive. And I hope that Olympus may read this and bear at least some of it in mind for future developments, because surely I'm not alone in not wanting to control a camera as if it's a computer (which it is!).

Just take it easy. There's always tomorrow. And if tomorrow doesn't come, you won't have wasted any effort on it.

My Flickr site
The Following 2 Users say to StephenL they like this post:
Barr1e (27-02-15), mike_j (25-02-15)
Old 25-02-15

Liked at 126 Times in 88 Posts
mike_j is on a distinguished road
Re: Why I changed to Fuji

I can understand Stephen's reasons which closely parallel my own reasons for moving from EM-5 to Sony A7. I had no problems with image quality but I had three problems with the EM-5. It was a bit too small and fiddly and I only really liked it with the grip on, the x2 crop factor limited the viability of using 'legacy' lenses, specifically from my Leica M system but above all it was too complicated and counter intuitive in many controls. Many times out in the field I was trying to take a picture and couldn't remember how to do things or get to certain functions and the 'myset' feature just confused matters even more.

I don't think that I would go back to Olympus but it is a high quality system and I certainly respect its many strengths.
The Following User likes this post by mike_j:
StephenL (25-02-15)
Old 05-03-15
Forum veteran

Liked at 55 Times in 45 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Re: Why I changed to Fuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
<snip>
Would I buy another Olympus? Yes, in a heartbeat. If the controls were more analogue and intuitive. And I hope that Olympus may read this and bear at least some of it in mind for future developments, because surely I'm not alone in not wanting to control a camera as if it's a computer (which it is!).
I live in hope that one day we will see the return of the lens mount control ring, as per OMs and XZs

The left hand has little to do but zoom, so why not reintroduce what was a great idea...