Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Fujifilm X-Series discussion

Fujifilm X-Series discussion Your place on the DPNow forum to discuss Fujifilm X-series cameras.

Old 23-07-13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greytop is on a distinguished road
Re: Fujifilm's X-series cameras; certainly not lacking in novelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks Huw - are the first two processed in any way? They look a little as if a mild HDR effect has been applied.

The X-E1 model name makes me remember my old Minolta XE-1 SLR which I had in the late 70s - which was when Leica and Minolta were technology partners. The XE-1 chassis was used by Leica for their SLRs back then.

Ian
Hello Ian, no problem happy to give my views
These were RAW images processed using Capture One Pro (Version 7.1.3). Other than a touch on the clarity slider they were pretty much as is.
I take your point about the subtle HDR look but the jpegs taken at the same time look very similar, so I perhaps it's a bit of image trait of the Fuji sensor in contrasty conditions.
Incidentally the firmware update today has added significant gains in AF speed to the point where I would say it's not that far away from my E-M5. Low light performance has been given a noticeable boost too. The icing on the cake is focus peaking which is really nicely implemented and very useful.

E-M1 & HLD-7
7.5 | 17 | 45 | 60 | 12-40 | 35-100 | 75-300 MKII | FL-36R
Tokina 300 | x1.4 x2 TC
Sigma DP1M | DP2M | DP3M
CaptureOne Pro | Helicon Filter Pro | Photomatrix Pro
Old 23-07-13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greytop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post
With the constant improvement of dynamic range in modern sensors I've begun to wonder if the pictures they produce are by definition HDR when the subject and lighting utilizes the full range. Of course, the effect is much more subtle and natural than we often see from HDR pp software, but that begs the question, in future will stand alone HDR programs still be needed except, perhaps, to achieve dramatic and stylized effects?

Thanks for posting these pictures, Huw, they certainly give a good impression of the camera.

Thanks John,

Good point about HDR too, to be honest I find I'm taking multiple exposure shots much less than I used to.
Particularly with the EM-5's fantastic DR and now this wonderful Fuji sensor too, using Capture One High Dynamic Range sliders it's possible to eek out information that you thought simply wasn't there.

E-M1 & HLD-7
7.5 | 17 | 45 | 60 | 12-40 | 35-100 | 75-300 MKII | FL-36R
Tokina 300 | x1.4 x2 TC
Sigma DP1M | DP2M | DP3M
CaptureOne Pro | Helicon Filter Pro | Photomatrix Pro
Old 24-07-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 313 Times in 223 Posts
Barr1e is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Hello Ian, no problem happy to give my views
These were RAW images processed using Capture One Pro (Version 7.1.3). Other than a touch on the clarity slider they were pretty much as is.
I take your point about the subtle HDR look but the jpegs taken at the same time look very similar, so I perhaps it's a bit of image trait of the Fuji sensor in contrasty conditions.
Incidentally the firmware update today has added significant gains in AF speed to the point where I would say it's not that far away from my E-M5. Low light performance has been given a noticeable boost too. The icing on the cake is focus peaking which is really nicely implemented and very useful.
Hi Huw -

The X-E1 looks a nice piece of kit and is obviously giving you satisfactory results. The update from looking around seems to have fixed a few issues the camera had.

Thanks for the insight.

Regards. Barr1e
The Following User Says Thank You to Barr1e For This Useful Post:
Greytop (25-09-13)