Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Digital photography problem solving centre

Digital photography problem solving centre Got a problem that needs solving? Camera, lens, software, computer, accessory, technique, etc. Post it here and we'll do our best to find an answer for you! As long as it is related to photography some how, we're interested!

Old 05-03-13
Admin

Liked at 166 Times in 133 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Movies and YouTube

Some of you may have seen my ten minute video report from Focus on Imaging posted yesterday:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzPEZbotUM[/ame]

Anyway, the video was shot in full HD using an OM-D E-M5 and the 12-50mm kit lens. I am not a video expert - my video knowledge is much less than my stills photography knowledge, but I know the basics and despite my relative lack of knowledge I am not that unhappy with the result above. I know where my weaknesses are and I am addressing them. Incidentally, the video was edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and the final edit that I uploaded to YouTube was 1080HD 30p (H.t64/MP4) and the ten minutes amounted to just over 600MB.

Viewed on my laptop at 720HD, the final edit looks smooth and sharp. I expect YouTube to cost some quality, but I am disappointed by what YouTube is showing on the dpnowdotcom channel - the playback is jerky and there is a fair bit of noticeable detail loss.

Normally, I would just put this down to YouTube but there are other videos on YouTube that don't seem to have this problem. So the questions are: what can be done to improve the bottom line playback quality on YouTube? Are there ideal encoding settings? Did I over-compress the final edit? In other words - what is the sweet spot for getting the best YouTube results?

Any video experts out there like to comment?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-03-13
Elderly snowboard racer

Liked at 141 Times in 100 Posts
patmoore is on a distinguished road
Re: Movies and YouTube

For some reason I couldn't open it either embedded or on the Youtube site itself. I got the "Error Occurred. Please try again later" message. I'll watch it when I can and give you some feedback. I've uploaded over a hundred videos to YouTube with an emphasis on viewer interest more than video quality. Most get only a handful of views but several have had hits in the thousands. I do need to do a better job of editing and hope to get some ideas from your video.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting an Olympic hopeful - a 45 year old female snowboard racer with a shot at the US Olympic squad. I'll be using two GoPros and a Sony Camcorder. If the result warrants it, I'll post it.