Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Micro Four Thirds discussion

Micro Four Thirds discussion Discuss Panasonic Lumix G and Olympus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds cameras here.

Old 20-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
For OLY OMD-EM5 Users - a recall notice

not sure if this is to be called recall but I rather use that word (there's no such word in Oly's official announcement.)

It's a tiny crack at the bottom of the monitor screen.

Oly announced that there could be a tiny crack at the bottom of the articulated monitor (see the illustration of the link. They are shown with three blue arrows.) The tiny crack in problem is shown in the photo on its right. A peripheral area of the screws.

I searched for Oly's English announcement but so far can not find it. So here's the major points of their Japanese announcement.

The link is here.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/...f20130219.html

According to Oly, the crack will not cause any functional problems including anti-dust and water proof.

The cause of the crack are inappropriate assembling together with shortage of the assembling parts robustness.

A part of the bodies with following serial numbers need to be inspected. (NOTE that not all of them have the said problems.)

BLACK BODY: serial numbers BEH501001 thru BEH517447
SILVER BODY: S/N BF2501001 thru BF2510258

You will find the serial number at the bottom of the body as a picture indicates it.

THEN JUST CLICK THE BLUE RECTANGLE IN THE OLY'S LINK. You can judge immediately if your particular body needs repair. (or just click this link. http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/...rch/search.cfm)

You just type in the S/N of your body in the tiny white rectangle in the blue & larger rectangle. The S/N starts with B as shown in the above and consists of nine letters and numbers including the "B".

The waranty period of the bodies will be duly extended.

I believe they will also make similar announcements soon or they have already done it. If your local Oly offices have already issued this annoucement, just ignore this one and follow that guidance.
I just post this for quick notice purpose only.

Anyway since there are many Oly users at DPNow, this is just my respect to Oly users from a Canon user. needless to say, I'm not representing OLY in any sort of ways.

yoshi
The Following User Says Thank You to yoshi For This Useful Post:
Ian (25-02-13)
Old 20-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: For OLY OMD-EM5 Users - a recall notice

Oh, sorry. The serial number checking service works only for bodies sold in Japan. (the second link)
yoshi
Old 25-02-13
Admin

Liked at 167 Times in 134 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: For OLY OMD-EM5 Users - a recall notice

Thanks for this Yoshi - this small defect is a known problem but I will check with Olympus here in Europe if they will also issue a recall.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/