Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions

Software solutions Exchange ideas and tips and learn how to make the best use of your image editing software here.

Old 07-05-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Josh Bear is on a distinguished road
lightroom issue

dear all,
been away for a while (work trip) and I seem to have lost my ability to operate lightroom. In short when I bring up the crop interface and move the mouse left the crop box goes right i.e. like a mirror image (this also happens for up and down as well)

I don't think it did it before I weNt away .

Help. driving me nuts.

Oh, on thes ubject of lightroom. While I was in the US I picked up Scott Kelby's book on lightroom. I am finding it very useful and has unlocked a number of "secrets" of lightroom for me.

Just not this one

best regards

Josh
Old 07-05-07
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: lightroom issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bear View Post
dear all,
been away for a while (work trip) and I seem to have lost my ability to operate lightroom. In short when I bring up the crop interface and move the mouse left the crop box goes right i.e. like a mirror image (this also happens for up and down as well)

Help. driving me nuts.

Oh, on thes ubject of lightroom. While I was in the US I picked up Scott Kelby's book on lightroom. I am finding it very useful and has unlocked a number of "secrets" of lightroom for me.

Just not this one

best regards

Josh
Josh are you using the Crop frame tool, or the crop overlay tool? Also have you got the lock on which constrains the crop aspect ratio

Check out my BLOG too

Old 08-05-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bear View Post
dear all,

Help. driving me nuts.

Just not this one

best regards

Josh
You have a book on the subject, but need I remind you that the image moves behind the crop and not the crop on the image. It took me personally some time to get used to this, now it seems quite logical.

Patrick
Old 08-05-07
Forum veteran

Thanks for the replies

Scott Kelby's books are written in the form of projects / specific things to do with a programme rather than chapter and verse on each and every nuance hence my post.

I see what you mean about the picture moving rather than the overlay.

Will perservere.

Best regards

Josh
Old 09-05-07
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road

One of the best training on software I've come across is www.lynda.com, I was able to learn and use over 90% of Lightroom's function within a day, after I watched the training video. They also have training for Photoshop, Indesign etc, I rate this is one of the most comprehensive software training site to date.

Danny
Old 09-05-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Chau View Post
One of the best training on software I've come across is www.lynda.com, I was able to learn and use over 90% of Lightroom's function within a day, after I watched the training video. They also have training for Photoshop, Indesign etc, I rate this is one of the most comprehensive software training site to date.

Danny
Hi Danny, good to see you back on the forum after a bit of a break

I really need to study Lightroom harder, myself - I'll have a look at the site.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-05-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I really need to study Lightroom harder, myself - I'll have a look at the site.

Ian
I don't think its rocket science Ian Frankly I found it extremely easy to get to grips with, once you understand the 5 rules IMO all anyone needs is to be prepared to change their workflow and make a commitment to using it. It is no good trying to adapt the use of LR to fit your current workflow method. For me Win Explorer and esp. Bridge are fast becoming redundant. I have found my workflow has improved and is faster.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-05-07
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Well at long last I also have lightroom on the way to me. I did order it when it was at the cheaper price from the Adobe website but It just would not let me buy it, still trying to work that one out ?. Anyway after reading this post it made me have a look around the web to see if anywhere I could find it at a good price as it is now 205 from adobe. I found it on Amazon at a cheaper price and with the Scott Kelby's book on lightroom. I did use the beta version when it came out and found it great to use so am looking forward to having it back.
Old 09-05-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't think its rocket science Ian Frankly I found it extremely easy to get to grips with, once you understand the 5 rules IMO all anyone needs is to be prepared to change their workflow and make a commitment to using it. It is no good trying to adapt the use of LR to fit your current workflow method. For me Win Explorer and esp. Bridge are fast becoming redundant. I have found my workflow has improved and is faster.
My problem is that I have about five different DAM (digital asset management) solutions installed at the moment and they are all different.

Although ACDSee has a lot of annoying flaws, I still gravitate back to that as it's a great image viewer for JPEGs and it's very easy to use for bulk renaming and metadata viewing and editing. It's not a functional competitor to Lightroom at all, but it does tend to preserve the ACDSee => Photoshop workflow I use as I don't have as much need to bulk process RAW images as some.

I have found some aspects of Lightroom less than intuitive - not that Lightroom is at fault - it's just a case of getting used to it

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-05-07
My cup is never empty :-)

Danny Chau is on a distinguished road

The quickest way to learn anything is usually when we have a project on hand, I was faced with a project that I need to sieve through thousands of images, Lightroom's role played perfectly here, as I was able to select about 35 images from a folder with 1286 photos within 20mins. I was able to mark them into different categories and groups with colour coding, and preference with numbers, then pressing 'N' (Survey) I could even move them in the display order. One word, 'AWSOME' package for viewing and arranging, I suppose some of the colour correction function is now jumped across PS V3, which is also very effective for quick edits.

Danny
Old 09-05-07
Forum veteran

DTD is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with Danny about lynda.com. I've learnt a few applications by watching their videos. I learnt Aperture after trying several times to wade through a book. Those of you who have upgraded to CS3 should have got the option of 30 days free subscription to lynda.com.

I used to do some PhotoShop and DTP tutoring, and I'm irmly of the opinion that a couple of hours with a book or video will always beat weeks of messing around with a new application.
Old 09-05-07
Forum veteran

This website may help. It has presets you can download to work in lightroom. It was recommended in Scott Kelby's book

http://inside-lightroom.co.uk/

Best regards

Josh