Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Headline news

Headline news Comment on DPNow news stories or even alert us to breaking news we haven't yet spotted.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-11
Information

Liked at 8 Times in 7 Posts
DPNow is on a distinguished road
Arrow Hands-on preview of the new Nikon V1 and J1 compact system cameras and lenses

Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

Nikon has, as expected, launched a Compact System Camera platform and it's called, simply, Nikon 1. We have been handling the two new Nikon 1 cameras, the V1 and the J1, plus the four lenses that accompany them. Find out what our initial impressions were....

Click here to read the whole article...

Last edited by Ian; 21-09-11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 21-09-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Hands-on preview of the new Nikon V1 and J1 compact system cameras and lenses

The marketing machine is already in overdrive - this was the scene in Covent Garden today to promote the new Nikon 1 system.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 21-09-11
Admin

Re: Hands-on preview of the new Nikon V1 and J1 compact system cameras and lenses

If there is one thing that did surprise me today, it was the sizes of the lenses - they aren't as small as I would have expected considering the size of the sensor (which is explained and compared with other sensors in my article).

The 10mm f/2.8 pancake lens is almost exactly the same size as the 14mm f/2.5 Panasonic Lumix equivalent. The 10-100mm superzoom (27-270mm) f/4.5-5.6 is the most surprisingly large - and heavy, and that f/4.5 maximum aperture at 27mm is darker than the competition.

I tried to find out if, like Panasonic, Olympus, and now Samsung, Nikon is using in-camera lens profile optical corrections. This does enable lens designers to make the lenses more compact. The cost is more distortion, corner shading and chromatic aberration, but in-camera correction (at least for JPEG files) is the solution to the compromise.

Unfortunately I was not able to get an answer.

I did ask the senior guest speaker from Japan (I've forgotten his name, sorry) why Nikon chose such a small sensor size and the answer was (naturally) because they wanted to get the camera size down, but also (surprisingly) because it's easier to do the high frame rate tricks using the sensor as a solid state electronic shutter. Apparently, a smaller sensor is a better sensor for this!

Ian
Old 22-09-11

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

Images look good Ian. Would you still prefer the Pen?
Old 22-09-11
Admin

Without having tried one of the new Nikons and seeing the image quality for myself, I can't really answer that question. I definitely like the high speed shooting features - I have predicted features like these for a long time. See my comments from four years ago:

http://dpnow.com/4245.html

Ian
Old 22-09-11

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

You sage you! :-) That was the feature that caught my eye when I was reading it to be honest. I fancy a compact (ish) camera for bringing over to Nigeria with me. Don't want to subject my D90 to the harshness of subsaharan Africa never mind the weight involved. That was the other thing that jumped out was your weight comments. I actually nearly ordered a PEN yesterday and for some reason changed my mind. Now I am unsure again :-)
Old 22-09-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian,

Just a quick note about the CX sensor - It may be better than the Sony built sensor - only time will tell!

Nikon's Masahiro Suzuki, General Manager, R&D Department, Development HQ, says there were three factors in choosing the sensor size: image quality, responsiveness and ease of use (specifically in terms of portability). He says the sensor was both designed and engineered by Nikon and stressed it is 'not built by Sony.'

Roger
Old 22-09-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post
Hi Ian,

Just a quick note about the CX sensor - It may be better than the Sony built sensor - only time will tell!

Nikon's Masahiro Suzuki, General Manager, R&D Department, Development HQ, says there were three factors in choosing the sensor size: image quality, responsiveness and ease of use (specifically in terms of portability). He says the sensor was both designed and engineered by Nikon and stressed it is 'not built by Sony.'

Roger
Hmmmm... I think something may have been lost in translation there. There are very few sensor manufacturers that could make this sensor and Nikon does not - as far as I know - have a sensor fab. Although they don't like confirming it and never mention Sony by name, the reality is that they have a very close relationship with Sony for their DSLR sensors, so I would be very surprised if the CX sensor was not made by Sony.

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 22-09-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 22-09-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

This one is really interesting, Ian.
The principal thrust seems to be response and of course, its built from scratch, too. The CD/PD AF on sensor does bode well for a new group of solutions to emerge from design mills.... anything you can do we can do better....
So, with this new small responsive choice, what do you think will be your travel kit for photokina? An unfair question because Oly & Pany are bound to slip something onto the shelves in the not to distant future.
I did download a sample from dpr and found a very nice file. I can't see where this concept couldn't make a nice reportange camera, in spite of it being a hobbiest targeted item.
That little flat space on the top-center is for your logo, how thoughtful.
Bob
Old 23-09-11
Admin

With Fujifilm rumoured to be joining the CSC party too, which partner will they choose? They have history with Nikon and the S Pro series of Nikon-body DSLRs, and they are a signatory to the Four Thirds consortium. If - as suggested in this thread - Sony doesn't make the CX sensor, could it be Fuji? Interesting!

Ian
Old 24-09-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

Interesting read HEREhttp://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316730752.html Ian,maybe you have already seen it, but if it is all as MS says, this camera is going to prove a sensation.

Roger

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316730752.html
Old 25-09-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

Thanks Roger,
That was quite informative. We may have to get out of the idea that sensor makers have to do the design and engineering. Nikon claims design authorship and has it outsourced.
With the Oly E-5, Oly claimed they had designed the sensor, but every one said they can't do that, they depend on Panasonic who gives them old designs.
Fujifilm, BTW, sold their sensor fabricating facility to someone like Hitachi or Toshiba. Fuji, no doubt, designs their own sensors and now outsources the fab.
Bob
Old 13-10-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hmmmm... I think something may have been lost in translation there. There are very few sensor manufacturers that could make this sensor and Nikon does not - as far as I know - have a sensor fab. Although they don't like confirming it and never mention Sony by name, the reality is that they have a very close relationship with Sony for their DSLR sensors, so I would be very surprised if the CX sensor was not made by Sony.

Ian
I was quite surprised but I asked Nikon's R&D boss, Masahiro Suzuki, the question about who makes the Nikon 1 sensor, and he confirmed that it's not Sony.

There is more in my blog here:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=253

Ian
Old 23-10-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

It seems that the huge flood in Thailand forced Nikon to postpone the launch as far as Japanese market is concerned, at least.
yoshi
Old 23-10-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
It seems that the huge flood in Thailand forced Nikon to postpone the launch as far as Japanese market is concerned, at least.
yoshi
I don't know if any components for the Nikon 1 system are made in Thailand. The huge factory we visited in Wuxi, China, seemed to be pretty comprehensive. But the Nikon 1 system is now officially on sale here in the UK. A lot of DSLR production is carried out in Thailand, which must be worrying for Nikon.

Ian