Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 06-10-11

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road
In the eye of the beholder

I have quite a nice print of this fellow which I entered in a club competition. It did very well scoring 9.5/10. Yahoo. However, the club then used the picture in one of the inter-club competitions. The new judge gave it 5/10 (the lowest score of the night). What do DPNow-ers think? - K.
Old 06-10-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: In the eye of the beholder

I like the owl's pose and the vignette, but for me critique-wise there are two problems I see: firstly the eyes are almost featureless (too dark) and with owls the eyes are one of the most important assets. Secondly, and I don't know if this is simply the way the image has been resized for web-display, but the image is lacking in sharpness and resolution. And I can see some burned-out highlights mainly around the left eye (as viewed).

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 06-10-11

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comment, Ian. The actual print does not look as burnt out round the eye as this reduced image. As for the eyes you have probably hit on the reason for the low mark. The problem with the scops (or skops) owl is that its pupils are very large so you don't get the usual luminous look. Additionally, to defend themselves from predators, white-faced scops owls keep their eyes mostly shut, except for a very thin slit, so as to better blend in with their surroundings, so I was quite fortunate to capture it with its eyes wide open. I can't really put it into natural history competitions as it was photographed in the back of a shed in a sanctuary.
Old 06-10-11
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Yes the pupils are wide open but there is still detail around the periphery and that is very dark. But the owl is a very handsome example and I would be very pleased to have had the privilege to photograph it

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/