Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 30-10-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 83 Times in 72 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Reworking the work of others

I feel it would be better to discuss an image before reposting an altered version - and maybe only post a reworked version as an illustration after you've explained what you feel needs to be altered or cropped, why and then maybe post a reworked version only to show more clearly what you meant .. and explain how you altered it, which software, which tools etc.

Pol
Old 30-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
DTD is on a distinguished road
Re: Reworking the work of others

I'd agree, although I'm sure people only do it because they want to help.
Old 30-10-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 83 Times in 72 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
I'd agree, although I'm sure people only do it because they want to help.
Very true. However, I still feel initial considered critique and subsequent discussion is crucial, also the point of this forum. Though a reworked version can sometimes help illustrate a point from 'within' that discussion it doesn't always explain why the reposter felt it necessary to alter the photographer's original image.

I realise some may feel 'unqualified' and reticent to offer critique but anyone is qualified to describe how an image affects them, how they react to an image, how they feel about it.

Photosig has a rather nice, helpful explantion and 'tutorial' about doing a critique.
For anyone interested - read it here

Pol
Old 30-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
spl is on a distinguished road

I think you've actually made a very good point here Pol - its all too easy for some of us to dish up an altered image without fully explaining how we did it (which is a little more difficult for some image experts to do) leaving the admiring recipient actually rather frustrated in not learning how to do it for him/herself.
Old 30-10-06
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl View Post
I think you've actually made a very good point here Pol - its all too easy for some of us to dish up an altered image without fully explaining how we did it (which is a little more difficult for some image experts to do) leaving the admiring recipient actually rather frustrated in not learning how to do it for him/herself.
Totally agree with all the above and Pols original post. Stating why you felt an image needed adjustment is equally important. I have also actively tried to encourage the inclusion of exif dater with images uploaded so that we can see what settings and/or equipment was used. We are all here to learn from one and other so every bit of info is helpful IMOP.
Old 30-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Sensible comments. The reposting of an altered image without the 'why and how' isn't likely to help anyone.