Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > Eye of the camera

Eye of the camera Use this board to post your photos and to tell us about the scene you set out to capture. Don't forget that the best place for *critique* in order see how your photography might be improved, technically, remains the Image Insight Photo critique board.

Old 16-02-07
Expert Photo Fumbler

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve40 is on a distinguished road
Your Tax Dollars At Work?

I awoke this morning to a loud crash, bang, bed shaking sound. I looked out the window and lo, and behold it was the MSD. They were hard at the annual hole digging contest between the MSD, Asheville Street Dep, and the Public Gas Works. Who seem to hold a contest each year to see who can dig the biggest, and most holes in our city streets.

So I thought I should record this happening, since they usually sneak about after dark doing their dirt. So I grabbed the TZ1, and out the door I went. Between where he was, and where I was, this is about the best angle I had. But the TZ1 did admirable I think in selectively focusing on the tractor, and ignoring much closer objects, like the tree, and telephone pole. The shot is pretty clean considering this was at max zoom for the TZ, 10X = 360mm.

Old 17-02-07
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Tax Dollars At Work?

Hi Steve40
And I thought that the UK was the only place where they lay a new road and then come along and dig it up to lay pipes, electrics etc:
Old 17-02-07
Expert Photo Fumbler

Steve40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Tax Dollars At Work?

Here in the US, at least in my town. They have a man standing, just waiting to dig it up as soon as the paver goes by. What is worse, that is quite often they bury manhole covers, then they dig em up to add an extension ring. The bad thing about that is the same crew that digs em up, doesn't repave. It can be a month before that crew arrives, and in the meantime you have an instant tire mangler in the middle of the road.