Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Lens view

Lens view The DPNow.com board for talking about lenses - big, small, long, and short.

Old 20-05-13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cowleystjames is on a distinguished road
Re: Sigma 300 f2.8

So my thoughts of gaffer taping a Pringles tube between lens and converter to give me a 12000mm f960 probably will give me a marginal print when blown up to A0 then
The Following User Says Thank You to cowleystjames For This Useful Post:
Weeman (20-05-13)
Old 25-05-13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've eaten my words, the sigma had gone back and the nikon 300mm f2.8 vrII is ordered to replace it.
The lens turned out to be a nightmare to mount on the camera, very imprecise, and the converter turned in horrible results.
Come on nikon, blow my mind!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 25-05-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowleystjames View Post
I've eaten my words, the sigma had gone back and the nikon 300mm f2.8 vrII is ordered to replace it.
The lens turned out to be a nightmare to mount on the camera, very imprecise, and the converter turned in horrible results.
Come on nikon, blow my mind!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
How was it imprecise, in my Canon days all my lenses were Sigma and never had or noticed any problems mounting any on the camera.

The 2x converter on the 70-200 f2.8 combination gave truly awfull results but first class with the 1x4. Strangely the same 2x converter actually gave very good results on the 120-300 f2.8 with only a negligible effect on quality.
Never worked that one out.

Patrick
Old 25-05-13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had awful problems trying to line it up on the camera mount. The mounting dot is on the inside of the lens mount and very hard to figure out the exact location.
When a lens weighs the best part of two kilos I want be sure, don't want to damage the mount.
The photos I took were okay except around f16 and smaller, seemed soft around edges, may be me being a bit of a pixel peeker!
With the converter on it became even worse, I could definitely see softness easily at the edges, not happy.
Then there's the issue with the aperture ring, it was impossible to turn on my camera, a D800e. The ring seems far too close to the camera body.
So it's gone back for a Nikon 300mm f2.8 vrII. Hopefully it'll resolve my issues.
Old 25-05-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowleystjames View Post
I had awful problems trying to line it up on the camera mount. The mounting dot is on the inside of the lens mount and very hard to figure out the exact location.
When a lens weighs the best part of two kilos I want be sure, don't want to damage the mount.
The photos I took were okay except around f16 and smaller, seemed soft around edges, may be me being a bit of a pixel peeker!
With the converter on it became even worse, I could definitely see softness easily at the edges, not happy.
Then there's the issue with the aperture ring, it was impossible to turn on my camera, a D800e. The ring seems far too close to the camera body.
So it's gone back for a Nikon 300mm f2.8 vrII. Hopefully it'll resolve my issues.

It is true to say the Sigma is an old design and is probably getting long in the tooth, but in Sigmas defence re the aperture issue, I believe I am correct in saying this type of lens is designed principaly to use at wider aperture

It's also true to say all lenses past f8-f11 can start to degrade the image slightly, more as they are stopped down further.
Regulars lenses it is said f8 is optimum, but these wide aperture tele lenses preform best around f4-f5.6, the thinking being get as much light in as possible to get higher shutter speeds to allow for the amplified camera movement tele lenses are prone to. Also the type of work these lenses are usually used for requires shallow depth of field to isolate the subject from background.

Anyway let us know how you get on with the Nikon.

Patrick