Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Lens view

Lens view The DPNow.com board for talking about lenses - big, small, long, and short.

Old 10-05-13

Liked at 177 Times in 103 Posts
David Morison is on a distinguished road
Mega Pentax shaping up well

Only taken a few test shots since getting the HUGE Pentax 500mm f4.5. It's a real monster so I haven't really taken it out yet and as it produces much better results stopped well down I don't often get the chance to use it on a bright day. I decided I had to get to grips with it so today, out of the bedroom window I took some shots of a Rooks nest in the tree tops around 160 metres away with the added encumbrance of adding on the x1.4 converter. i have to do some more work but this 50% crop seems to give more promise than I had originally found, you can just see the female's head above the nest:

E-M5 plus Pentax 500mm f4.5 and 1.4x (1400mm EFL) - Manual Focus
Jpeg ppd in LR

David
Old 10-05-13
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Mega Pentax shaping up well

Well, maybe I am expecting too much but even in this web-resolution result it's lacking a certain crispness?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 10-05-13
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Well, maybe I am expecting too much but even in this web-resolution result it's lacking a certain crispness?

Ian
I imagine it was windy so there'd be a lot of movement which would affect crispness., but I'm not overwhelmed by the colours. The leaves seem to be slightly too yellow and the nest too light and orangey though the could be dealt with corrected in software.

Nice to see the bird's head poking up above the nest though!

Pol
Old 10-05-13

Thanks for the comments. Yes it was blowing a hooley and there was a fair degree of heat haze - an unavoidable problem taking photographs over a long distance on a warm sunny day. This is another taken around the same time, difficult to focus owing to the shimmer and the whole tree moving a lot. I've worked on the colours a bit, I'm not used to the jpeg effect - must go back to RAW.

David

PS - Raining cats and dogs now, time to open the wine!

Last edited by David Morison; 11-05-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-05-13
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Thanks for the comments. Yes it was blowing a hooley and there was a fair degree of heat haze - an unavaoidable problem taking photographs over a long distance on a warm sunny day. This is another taken around the same time, difficult to focus owing to the shimmer and the whole tree moving a lot. I've worked on the colours a bit, I'm not used to the jpeg effect - must go back to RAW.

David

PS - Raining cats and dogs now, time to open the wine!
Yay, that's pretty good. Nice to be able to see some good detail of the bird from such a distance. The colours are also much better and more true.

I'm also interested to note the flowers are hanging on the Sycamore! Ours only came into leaf maybe 7-10 days ago but no yellow flowers showing yet (or maybe I need to look at it more closely through the binos or a long lens.

Enjoy the wine. I'm about to indulge in fish 'n chips with pineapple juice.

Pol
Old 10-05-13
escallonia

Liked at 37 Times in 29 Posts
escallonia is on a distinguished road

Hi David, You managed to get good detail over that distance and your shutter was fully open even better using raw. John.
Old 11-05-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
It may appear that way but it is a 30+ year old lens with a 1.4x converter and if you compare an identical crop from a shot taken of the second nest with the M4/3 75-300mm (less than half the EFL) using AF you can see the advantage it gives me:

Looking at a larger crop to give roughly around the same magnification with the m4/3 lens you can see just how much more detail the Pentax gives:

Definitely worth the £240 it cost me but the m75-300mm is a little more portable though!

David

Last edited by David Morison; 11-05-13 at 12:56 PM.