Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions

Software solutions Exchange ideas and tips and learn how to make the best use of your image editing software here.

Old 02-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 2 Posts
DennisP is on a distinguished road
Lightroom 5 problem

I am trying to import photos into a Lightroom 5 catalog from a network hard drive and I am experiencing problems. I select a folder on the network drive and click Import and small thumbnail pictures start to appear but after several have been displayed it ceases to fill any more of the displayed blank squares with thumbnails and seems to 'hang'. Could this be down to a lack of memory or what. I do not have any trouble accessing Photos on the network drive normally.
Old 04-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightroom 5 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
I am trying to import photos into a Lightroom 5 catalog from a network hard drive and I am experiencing problems. I select a folder on the network drive and click Import and small thumbnail pictures start to appear but after several have been displayed it ceases to fill any more of the displayed blank squares with thumbnails and seems to 'hang'. Could this be down to a lack of memory or what. I do not have any trouble accessing Photos on the network drive normally.
Not sure but memory could be the problem Lightroom is greedy in that respect.

How much RAM do you have, indeed what is your computers spec CPU, Graphics as well as the RAM?

Patrick
Old 04-12-13
Happy Snapper

Liked at 130 Times in 84 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not sure but memory could be the problem Lightroom is greedy in that respect.

How much RAM do you have, indeed what is your computers spec CPU, Graphics as well as the RAM?

Patrick
I think Patrick may well have hit the nail on the head: my computer frequently goes to sleep if I've been working in Lightroom for a long time with other programmes open. Lightroom can get the "not responding" message quite a lot. I've even had black screens and importing uses a lot more RAM than processing.

It also depends on the size of preview that you're adding - are you using "minimal" preview?

Carol
Old 05-12-13
Forum veteran

Patrick & Caz many thanks for reply. I am beginning to agree with you that it is more memory that is required. Here are my computer specs :-

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Installed Memory(RAM):
4.00GB, 64-bit Operating System.
I know that I have 2 memory slot still free so I could easily fit another 4GB.

Incidentally Caz what is preview size and how do you set it.?
Old 05-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Patrick & Caz many thanks for reply. I am beginning to agree with you that it is more memory that is required. Here are my computer specs :-

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Installed Memory(RAM):
4.00GB, 64-bit Operating System.
I know that I have 2 memory slot still free so I could easily fit another 4GB.

Incidentally Caz what is preview size and how do you set it.?
Not a bad spec computer should handle LT5 OK, my MacBook with a 2.8GHz CPU but more RAM namely 8GB handles LT5 without any problem.

Crucial is probably the best place to buy, down load the little app and it analizes which memmory is suitable for your machine.

Patrick
Old 06-12-13
Forum veteran

Hi Patrick
I downloaded the app you recommended from Crucial and ran it. The bottom line is I have ordered 8GB(2x4GB) and that should give me 12GB in total. We will see if that makes a difference with problem I encountered in Lightroom 5.2.

Last edited by DennisP; 06-12-13 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-12-13
Forum veteran

Hi Patrick - Well I ordered the 8GB of memory yesterday from Crucial and it arrived first post this morning. I have just installed it and after booting up I opened Lightroom and tried again. Would you believe it - Still the same problem I encountered before. I feel like uninstalling Lightroom re-installing and building up my catalog again from scratch.
Old 07-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Hi Patrick - Well I ordered the 8GB of memory yesterday from Crucial and it arrived first post this morning. I have just installed it and after booting up I opened Lightroom and tried again. Would you believe it - Still the same problem I encountered before. I feel like uninstalling Lightroom re-installing and building up my catalog again from scratch.
Simply try uninstalling Lightroom, I think after you re-install your library will still be intact, this may do the trick.
If no improvement empty your library uninstall LT and start again.

Just a thought before you try anything defrag your hard drive and your storage drive, providing they are conventional HD. If they are sold state don't under any circumstances defrag it shortens the life of the drive and achieves nothing anyway, as the working principles are totally different.

Patrick
Old 08-12-13
Forum veteran

Well Patrick I defragged the internal Hard drive but could not find a way of defraging the Network Drive. I then uninstalled Lightroom and re-installed = no joy, so then searched for Lightroom catalogs and found 2 left over from Lightroom version 2 which I deleted. That had no effect so I decided to start again with a clean sheet and build up my catalog again from scratch. The end result is I can now import from the Network drive but ever so slowly, but at least it does not hang anymore. I have therefore concluded it must be something to do with th buffering from the Network drive that is slowing operations.
Old 08-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Well Patrick I defragged the internal Hard drive but could not find a way of defraging the Network Drive. I then uninstalled Lightroom and re-installed = no joy, so then searched for Lightroom catalogs and found 2 left over from Lightroom version 2 which I deleted. That had no effect so I decided to start again with a clean sheet and build up my catalog again from scratch. The end result is I can now import from the Network drive but ever so slowly, but at least it does not hang anymore. I have therefore concluded it must be something to do with th buffering from the Network drive that is slowing operations.
Another thought
How is your network se, is it wireless or with cables?
I have my External drive connected via Thunderbolt cable and appears as fast as an internal HD. when I connect a USB2 drive its quick but nothing like as quick as with Thunderbolt.
I seem to remember you asking about installing USB3 card into your machine, did you do that and is your external drive connected via that USB3?
USB3 is almost as quick as Thunderbolt so should build your library very quickly but connected direct to your machine and not a wireless network.

Patrick
Old 16-12-13
Happy Snapper

Liked at 130 Times in 84 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Dennis

A very late reply as I've not been online much in the last week.

"Preview size" is set when importing items into your catalog and comes under "File Handling" - the top box on the right hand side of your screen. I always set it to "render previews minimal" and "build smart previews".

The smart previews do delete themselves after a while - a couple of months I think, to give you plenty of time to work on the images.
Old 16-12-13
Forum veteran

Thanks Caz for the info. I have just tried your suggestions but I am afraid it has not made a scrap of difference.