Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 09-06-09

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
dave el is on a distinguished road
abstract flops

i stuck these on a couple of sites and they flopped! can anyone advise on what i've done wrong with them? they began as pics of a chaffinch but then i liked the wood shape instead, so the wood abstract wasn't what i set out for. I still like them but they haven't really impressed anyone else.
Old 09-06-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 122 Times in 79 Posts
Gez is on a distinguished road
Re: abstract flops

Dave,
Unfortunately they look blurred to me, Also you haven't decided where the focus of attention should be, bird or tree. You need at least one strong image to carry the picture. See Pops images to see what I mean.
Old 09-06-09

thanks, Gez. what i might do is go back there and have another go, bearing this in mind. Doubt the chaffinch will sit for me again though! yeah, they do look blurred, i'm not sure if that's down to the lens or me. mind you i used a telephoto because i was doing bird photography, so next time i'll just use a standard lens right up close and see what i can do. thanks again.
Old 11-06-09
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave el View Post
thanks, Gez. what i might do is go back there and have another go, bearing this in mind. Doubt the chaffinch will sit for me again though! yeah, they do look blurred, i'm not sure if that's down to the lens or me. mind you i used a telephoto because i was doing bird photography, so next time i'll just use a standard lens right up close and see what i can do. thanks again.
I'd agree with Gez Dave. You really need to get closer to the bird with a long lens. A standard lens will mean you have to get closer and therefore frighten the bird off

Check out my BLOG too

Old 12-06-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

i'm seeing a soft dust spot on the sensor, upper right hand. try b&w with boosted contrast.
Old 12-06-09
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

some helpful advice there, however the one thing that no-one has mentioned is that the images aren't abstract. for an abstract i'd expect to need to guess / work out what the original object was as it would've been shot out of context. quite clearly we have a bird and a tree

as stephen has said, you need to be closer and use a longer lens. this should improve the sharpness of the pic as there will be less (presumably) warm air between you and the subject. of the images posted, the only one where the bird isn't overly soft (to me at least) is the last one. for this reason, i'd automatically discount the first lot unless they were showing something extraordinary where the image quality could be excused in preference to what the image captured.

try the B&W conversion kenny mentioned. i had a quick blast, USM of 50%, adjustment layer channel mix of mono, R=+86, G=+128, B=-86 and got this....

not much better, but a bit more detail
Old 22-06-09

i like the black and white version. yeah, there's much more detail. thanx very much for that, and thanx for all the helpful comments. i can't make out that dust spot though. i'm new to this - what does that mean, a dust spot on the sensor, and what do i do about it?
Old 22-06-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

a speck of dust is fixed to your sensor. read your camera's manual on cleaning. never use compressed air directly on a sensor as it will leave a thin residue that dust will adhere to. always turn your camera off be fore changing lenses to avoid dust. a dust spot will appear as a darkened circle on an image. your best bet is to buy one of those rocket looking squeeze blowers. i saw once on another forum where some moron decided to blow on his sensor to clean it. he showed before and after shots of it. the after shots looked like a petri dish from the center for disease. as with a slr mirror, try not to touch it as much as possible. to check your sensor, photograph a white sheet of paper and blow it up. if there is dust, it will look like a UFO. we all know that if you smoke, you will get a film build-up on the inside of your car's windshield. but people who don't smoke with new cars also get some degree of this inside their cars as well. why is this? well, most of the interior is made up plastic components and as they heat up and cool down they release minute particles that contribute to that "new car" smell and start creating a light film slowly on the inside of your windshield. bad news, there's "new camera smell" as well. this will eventually build up on your mirror and sensor. at some point no matter how careful your are, someone will have to swab them
Old 22-06-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave el View Post
i like the black and white version. yeah, there's much more detail. thanx very much for that, and thanx for all the helpful comments. i can't make out that dust spot though. i'm new to this - what does that mean, a dust spot on the sensor, and what do i do about it?
unless someone hires you to do something for them, you don't have to impress anyone else. if it's a hobby, enjoy it. if someone else doesn't agree with your image, ask them to explain, "What's is Art?" experiment, learn, enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
dave_el.jpg