Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Software solutions > Living with Lightroom

Living with Lightroom The DPNow forum place for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom discussion

Old 01-09-08
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
LightRoom 2 sluggishness?

If the thread on one of our other sites is anything to go by, a lot of people are apparently experiencing sluggish behaviour with LR2 compared to LR1. I can't say that I am, so I was curious to find out if anyone has noticed such a problem.

The thread is here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2830

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-09-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: LightRoom 2 sluggishness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If the thread on one of our other sites is anything to go by, a lot of people are apparently experiencing sluggish behaviour with LR2 compared to LR1. I can't say that I am, so I was curious to find out if anyone has noticed such a problem.

The thread is here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2830

Ian
Ian, as Musicman, I'm using LR2 on a Mac with a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo Intel platform and 4GB of Ram. I can't say with any certainty that I have noticed any significant reduction speed over V1.4, though the Adjustment Brush tool can be a little 'jerky' at times, I think though I have a workround for that, which is simply to leave the sliders at zero until the mask has been drawn.

I have it render standard previews, though I notice my setting is 1440pixels and there is an option to reduce this to 1024pixels, which may help those with less Ram or slower processors. The previews, like yours sometimes show the message Loading when in the Develop module, but basically I can use the navigation keys to quickly scroll through the previews and I get an instant image that is good enough to use, then a couple of seconds after the fully rendered preview pops into place. I don't see this as a problem and iirc it happened in Lr1.4

I'd be interested to know if Adobe are about to release a 2.1 update that will help those who have a problem.............I can't imagine what they will do to resolve any issues. I do remember though that LR1 was in its Beta stage I found it slow, and consequently wasn't keen on it. When the full version was released though, all seemed fine.

I've never had any noticeable issues with the changeover and library update. It maybe affected some keywords, but I haven't noticed it yet. When I downloaded LR2 and installed it, the beta version was overwritten and the catalogue from V1.4 was updated. This made V1.4 useless as the catalogue could not be read. This was not an issue for me though and I've uninstalled the earlier version. When I finally got my CD, I simply put in the new S/N from the box and as it could see the S/N from V1 the program was updated with no restrictions, I've been able to do the same on my PC laptop.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 02-09-08
Seriously addicted

Ian, it seems that the problem may be to do with nVidia graphics cards, which in some circumstances may cause sluggishness. See this thread on the Lightroom Forums http://www.lightroomforums.net/showt...ghlight=nvidia. There is also other info on the site if you search around. May be worth passing on to those on the e-group site that are having issues

Check out my BLOG too

Old 02-09-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Slightly off topic but I've been meaning to ask Stephen this for a while..

As a MAC user I'm surprised you don't use Aperture? At least I don't recall you mentioning that you do. It's just that every review I've read puts Aperture ahead of Lightroom, not only in terms of functionality but, more relevant to this thread, especially in terms of processing speed?

I'd be interested to know why you went the Lightroom route? (Not that I'm likely to go and buy a MAC any time soon )

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 02-09-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Slightly off topic but I've been meaning to ask Stephen this for a while..

As a MAC user I'm surprised you don't use Aperture? At least I don't recall you mentioning that you do. It's just that every review I've read puts Aperture ahead of Lightroom, not only in terms of functionality but, more relevant to this thread, especially in terms of processing speed?

I'd be interested to know why you went the Lightroom route? (Not that I'm likely to go and buy a MAC any time soon )
Stuart, I started using LR before I bought a Mac and so got used to it. Since then I have tried Aperture, but to be honest I wasn't that keen. It certainly didn't help my workflow, and I could see little point in persevering with it when I already had LR.

From what I have read I get the impression that the concensus of opinion is that LR is the better prog. However you will always get people who will argue one way or the other. I suspect that had I used a Mac for years I would probably have gone down the Aperture route and never have bought LR

Check out my BLOG too

Old 03-09-08
Old hand. New head.

carman is on a distinguished road

I have found LR2 slow to the point I have stopped using it. I have LR1.4 so the upgrade lasted until the end of August. I am back with 1.4 now and the speed is normal. LR 1.0 was slow and clunky I remember. I like the new program but at the moment I am not sure the upgrade is worth the money.

Glyn's Gallery